It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP: Free Speech Not Guaranteed Online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

AP: Free Speech Not Guaranteed Online

rawstory.com

Americans are accustomed to taking their free speech rights for granted and assume that is the case on the Internet as well. However, with major websites owned by corporations whose primary concern may be to limit controversial content or meet the guidelines set by other nations, even United States citizens may find their Constitutional guarantees do not apply online.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I used to think that the net would be forever immune from censorship, but with everything I've seen over the past year or two, I'm not so sure anymore.

Will the net go the way of the MSM? Consolidation by mass corporations that will control contents and data, and determine what we can and cannot have access to?

It may be only a matter of WHEN, not IF!

AP concludes gloomily, "Community backlash can restrain service providers, but as Internet companies continue to consolidate and Internet users spend more time using vendor-controlled platforms such as mobile devices or social-networking sites, the community's power to demand free speech and other rights diminishes."

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It does make one wonder, since the internet isn't really a "place". It seems that everything is permitted online until it is forbidden. For example, online harrassment still isn't a crime in a lot of places. In Missouri it was only made a crime this year in reaction to the 13 year old girl who killed herself after being harassed online.

So perhaps the thing to do is to make an Online Bill of Rights? If free online speech is clearly described in law then it will be much harder for ISPs or whomever to censor, but if it isn't explicitly stated as a right I think companies will just assume it is not a right.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Sorry DD, beat you to it!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Many american websites too have very limited free speech. I wouldnt blame it on European free speech limitations, who for the most part stipulate you can say anything as long as you don't insult anyone. In my experience politically oriented mods (f.ex. radical zionists or strong pro-Bush) often try to enforce an opinion-control on the boards.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
So perhaps the thing to do is to make an Online Bill of Rights?

Yeah, why not. It'll be as worthless as our other god damned pieces of paper.

Or maybe it won't be paper. Maybe we can make it a Myspace page.

1st aminmant: congrass will mke n0 lawz r3sp3ct!n' a establishmunt of religun in ur details on ur myspace pge or pr0hibitin' da fr33 exercize of it or take away da fr33 speach thingy in ur about me secshun nd lyke or of da pre$s on ur blogz and da rite of da ppl peicefuly 2 assmble in ur myspace group & 2 petishun da gov 4 a ajustmint of greavinces in ur rep0rtin' of abuse.

This is exciting. I cannot wait.

[edit on 7/7/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Time to start a new internet Screw the Corperation

Dial up starting to look good again

I got new for all of you, who in America do you pay for your internet?

If you are paying for YOUR internet in America "YOU" are covered by the Constitutional and free speech!

IF you are paying for your internet in Russia, then you dont have free speech.

I dont know what Country Yall live in! but I live in the good old USA

If Congress vote against free speech then there will be a war!

[edit on 7/8/2008 by cashlink]

top topics

join