It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buses Hiking Rates due to Fuel Costs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I was going to put this in Breaking News but could not find an article that was only a few hours old

I started a thread about the Gas Station ripoffs and all who haven't might want to check that out...

New Jersey finds gas station rip-offs
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its amazing how wide spread this is and no one is doing much about it...

But the high fuel cost has consumers switching to the buses and bus transportation companies are reporting record users these days... so you would think they would be happy with the increased business...

You would think BUT...

Ridership is up, but fuel costs strain transit agencies - USATODAY.com
5/30/2008

High gas prices are pushing more people onto buses and subways, straining transit agencies trying to meet the demand.

Like other consumers, the agencies are also paying more for fuel — 44% more this year than last, according to a survey of 96 transit agencies to be released Friday by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA).

That double hit means bus and train operators are raising fares, cutting services and delaying improvements. Almost half of bus operators and more than two-thirds of rail operators have increased fares. About a fifth are cutting service.

"The difficulty of high gas prices is that it is a dual-edged sword," association President William Millar says. "It is bringing more ridership. … Unfortunately, transit agencies are huge users of petroleum-based fuel."

www.usatoday.com...

So they are making more money per trip... but cutting service and raising prices anyway

I think this really needs to be in "Breaking News" but hopefully it will get attention anyway

It came to my attention because Vegas bus service is asking to double the rates here... from 1.25 for a single ride to 2.50 and if you need to transfer you have to buy the now 2.50 (then 5.00) 24 hour pass as they do not issue transfers here anymore

Fortunately this has to go to public hearing
www.rtcsouthernnevada.com...

But that's what they want... and its not only happening here

Bay Area...
Bay Metro considers cutting services, raising fares to offset high ...
Jun 20, 2008 ... Bay Metro considers cutting services, raising fares to offset high fuel costs. Posted by Ryan J. Stanton | The Bay City Times June 20, .
blog.mlive.com...

Bay Area...
Fuel costs may raise mass transit fares
Jun 21, 2008 ... Closer to home, Caltrain and SamTrans bus operations are poised to raise fares within the next year to offset the ballooning diesel costs,
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2008/06/21/BAVF11CL6A.DTL

Peterborough UK...
Fuel price rise could mean higher bus fares - have your say ...
Jun 30, 2008 ... Should bus companies be allowed to push up fares because of high fuel .... They have every right to raise prices in line with fuel costs. ...
www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk...

Minnesota...
MPR: Gas prices make the bus a fare deal for many
More commuters are opting to board the bus rather than pay high prices at the ... The agency is preparing a proposal to raise fares, with public hearings
minnesota.publicradio.org...

Knoxville...
High fuel costs may mean fewer KAT routes : Local News : Knoxville ...
Because of high fuel costs, KAT is considering cutting the Farragut route and ..... How can you suggest that they prorate bus fare prices based on income?
www.knoxnews.com...

Twin Cities...
Bus-fare hike couldn't come at a worse time
They're hoping to run a bus system that doesn't grow." Some fare increases may be necessary in the future to cover inflation and fuel costs, ...
www.startribune.com...:8

Check YOUR AREA I bet they are doing the same...

It will also drastically effect Low Cost Airfare... but hey who cares huh? Only the rich fly anyway?

High Fuel Costs Are Squeezing Low Air Fares - Readers' Comments ...
Jun 20, 2008 ... High Fuel Costs Are Squeezing Low Air FaresBack to Article ». Jet fuel costs are leading low-fare airlines to raise some fares and alter ...
community.nytimes.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Lets hope they don't double the cost of bicycles next

Oxford bicycle sales increase - News
May 27, 2008 ... Oxford bicycle sales increase, ... Many Oxford residents opt to ride a bicycle because of various health benefits. ...
www.thedmonline.com...

Bicycle Design: Stating the obvious- Commuter bike sales on the rise
I'm all for the increase in bicycle sales regardless of rider segment but the skeptic in me questions the long term sustainability of this recent spike in ...
bicycledesign.blogspot.com...

Bicycle Sales Are Exploding : TreeHugger
But the majority of sales have been for recreational use, not for commuting or day-to-day transport. Since 1997 bicycle sales have increase about 90%
www.treehugger.com...

Pedal power: Local store, advocates see increase in bicycle sales ...
Jul 7, 2008 ... Perhaps the most visible way to save on gas as prices climb is to start riding a bike, and retailers and advocates say more area residents ...
www.annistonstar.com...

Bike Sales On Rise As Gas Prices Increase - San Diego News Story ...
Jul 3, 2008 ... SAN DIEGO -- More commuters are turning to bicycles as gas prices continue to go up. Thursday, July 3, 2008.
www.10news.com...

Bend Over America and get ready to get REAMED

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
seattles price hike was in march and by a quarter, still cheaper than owning a car, and if i need speed i got a bike

not sure if its breaking news per se

but airlines have been doing this for awhile, cab companies did something to the sort

it looks like everyone suffers

i usually try to stick to only electric busses around town

join