It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"'Stop wasting food', urges Brown" (we are to blame for high food prices!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

"'Stop wasting food', urges Brown" (we are to blame for high food prices!)

news.bbc.co.uk

Britons must stop wasting food in an effort to help combat rising living costs, Gordon Brown has said as world leaders discuss rising prices

The PM said "unnecessary" purchases were contributing to price rises, and urged people to plan meals in advance and store food properly.

A government study says the UK wastes 4m tonnes of food every year, adding £420 to a family's shopping bills.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This was reported on the tv news today. The focus of the report was that us, the sheeple, are to blame for the worldwide high food costs and shortages - because we throw too much food away!

I have a limited knowledge of economics and business. But I am very certain that if everyone did not waste food, the prices would not suddenly come down overnight, although at this time of financial troubles, tightening your belt is a sensible idea.

There are other important factors that have an influence on price such as taxes, profit margins, fuel costs, supply and demand, competition, crop yield, disease, and government restrictions and policy, to mention a few. These have been explored in the news link, but the lasting impression from tv reports was it is down to us wasting our food!

What impressions have you had from this being reported?

Is this the beginning of a trend of "blame the sheeple" and attempts to make us the scapegoats for the worlds problems?

How will they make us accountable?

Will more taxes, restrictions and laws now be necessary to help "resolve" these problems? One report even mentioned the introduction of food rationing, which has not been used since the war.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I heard this on sky news!! I was dumbfounded. Coming from a FAT PM who took a 767 PLANE to the G8 summit to discuss how they can better the world from carbon and what not...

I find this man to be an utter yellow belly. He wouldn't hold an election because he knows nobody likes him. I'm voting Cameron when we get to vote. I'm sick of Labour.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Conspiracy?
Politics?
Personal hypocrisy of Brown?

Get over yourselves folks! It doesn't matter what you suspect the motives are. When something right is said, it is right, no matter why it was said.

Stop wasting food!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RenegadePsycho

It will certainly not do anything to help his popularity.

I was angry at how basic and biased the report was.

G8 should not be speculating about the food we throw away (and our councils have better things to do than look at our food waste)!

The big corps, manufacturers and govts can make THE difference as far as green issues are concerned. I do not have a huge mountain of corn in my backyard!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by d60944

Of course it is right that we should not waste food.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
so its my fault super markets are throwing loads of food out that are past or near there sell by date..its my fault restaurants throw out unsold meals..its my fault farmers plow crops back into the soil and pour milk down drains because they have no market for them..its about time my government tackled the real issues like immigration-fuel tax-identity fraud from benefit cheats.... hell if they wanted to save electric they could turn of the street lights in my town that are on 24 hrs a day for some reason...

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Brown tells us to waste less. He is right but not even approaching any other part of the problem. The sad bit is that if he had any authority we might waste less, but he is just using it as a face saving formula whereby only the poor starve.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

In some areas they do have the street lights switched off - even noticed one of these had an accident hot spot sign!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think the general. response from the public to Gordon Brown is "kiss My Arse"

Like another poster said. wich i thought when I first heard this on the news. What about all the supermarkets throwing out tonnes of food. and all the Big chain fast food places(mcdonalds, pizza hut, bk, etc..) that throw out craploads of perfect food every day just because it wasnt sold.Its crazy the amount of food that big companys waste.

Im sure that mr browns diet could easily feed 8 starving african children.

[edit on 7-7-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Well even though I agree with him..it's been talked about before in here..

I still think every spadeful of food disappearing down his fat gullet is a waste too.
How did he enjoy his 8 courses while he was discussing this?
Freaking greasy muppet.

new topics

top topics

join