It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police want DNA from all arrests

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
DNA for being arrested....doesnt seem like it will catch....to many privacy issues there...but DNA as part of a plea deal or a sentence after a conviction....Im all for it and overall makes more constituational sense...NY already does the latter

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by finestbeast
DNA for being arrested....doesnt seem like it will catch....to many privacy issues there...but DNA as part of a plea deal or a sentence after a conviction....Im all for it and overall makes more constituational sense...NY already does the latter

in the UK, anyone arrested gets their DNA automatically taken, and they do not remove it even if there is no subsequent conviction

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

give it to them then, go knock on the door and just hand it over, oh an also you might want to get a jump start and gather all your families DNA as well.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
According to some reports there are those who have been released and rewarded large sums of money as well due to the lack of DNA evidence or someone elses. This could speed up this process in order to catch those who may also be incarcerated for lesser offenses. Although, a person who lives in an area of a rape victim could also be set up. The pros obviously outway these potential: "CONS"

I can see this also evolving in order to force people to take the RFID chip to prove their whereabouts. Unfortunately, this system also has the possibility of being manipulated and doesn't seem much different than some middle eastern laws where people are made examples of to put fear into the masses.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Not sure if people many people are aware but Western Australia, aside from striving to become Australia’s number 1 police state, is often used to evaluate new marketing and packaging concepts on an international level.

The new Dunhill Blue packaging was trialled in Perth for close on 6 months before international release and a year before Australian release. This is primarily due to simple fact we are the most isolated city in the world making us perfect test-bed for evaluation of public response with reduced statistical contamination.

Where else better than Perth to “test” the first systematic tagging of practically every Australian under the guise of higher community safety, where criminals should be the only ones worried.

Gets worse when you find the ridiculous definitions of what being a criminal constitutes in Western Australia. I found out the hard way years ago when charged with possession of an unlicensed firearm for a BB-Gun. I did my own research into the law and found the definition of a firearm to be “any device that fires a projectile or liquid.” That said, under the definition of this law every Western Australian who owns a water pistol is by definition a criminal for not possessing valid a licence. For the simple addition of a laser pointer I could have also been charged with a maximum 5-year sentence for Modification of a Firearm.

The worst part is I honestly believe they think this to be the solution to cutting crime but how do you diagnose a crime scene deliberately contaminated with multiple DNA samples? Not that hard to find a random loose hair on public transport or break into someone’s house and pluck a brush full of samples. If anything this makes it easier for someone to be set up for a fall from both sides of the fence.

Simply put whether you are guilty or innocent is irrelevant to the process. As your blood, much like your fingerprints would be taken at the time you are processed. They don’t destroy your fingerprint record if you are found not guilty so its extremely doubtful way they would your DNA and even if they did how could that be proved?

It’s an unfortunate premature Australian g’day to the start of the global goodbye.

Originally posted by Rilence
Fortunately, if this happens, its only going to happen in Western Australia...Thank Goodness...

If the jacks think they're getting my DNA when I am ACCUSED of a crime, they can kiss my keester...If I commit a crime, then MAYBE they're on to something, depending on the nature of the crime...

Lucky and proud to be a Victorian

Do you consider yourself to be more of an Australian or a Victorian?

Keep thanking your goodness that Victoria stays lucky Rilence, but if it can happen here it can happen anywhere, is all about timing. All they need are the studies showing figures on how it was a successful initiative in order for the concept to be slowly implemented elsewhere, and guess where the results from those studies would come from?

Thats right.. Perth, city of "lights out".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join