It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do mods and staff have to maintain neutrality amongst normal members?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I cannot write 'laughing out loud' unless I write it as...well...'laughing out loud'

'splinters'?? From limes???? Oh, you're only telling half of the story, for sure!

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
'splinters'?? From limes???? Oh, you're only telling half of the story, for sure!

Horatio figured it out but this is an all ages site and can't tell.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

I'm bound by medical confidentiality clauses from telling any more

Needless to say the lawsuit is ongoing, and the llama will never be the same again.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

The turtle is actually recovering quite nicely though, thought he was a gone for sure. Bless his little heart.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
I think he meant have we ever seen evidence of mods showing favoritism to some member and, shall we say, very short tempers with others.

IMO, OH YEAH!!!!!!!

I have found this particularly when "SOME" strongly disagree with the topic/stance of certain posters.

Yes, I know mods are human/human alien hybrids (:lol
and should be free to post their opinions, like all members.

I, however, feel very strongly that mods need do their modding with complete neutrality of opinion, only using T.A.C. as a guideline.

They should treat all posts no matter the topic or poster, the same.

Imo, if a mod is unable to do that, they should not be a mod.

This is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

I am inclined to agree.

Such is the position of a Mod/SuperMod/Admin...there is the expectation that you are placed within that role due to your ability to think before you act.

Often Modding brings with it an air of ambiguity in that there are always differing perspectives and takes on what was done by whom, how things were intended etc etc. There can be - and are - assumptions aplenty.

So it bodes well for a Staff Member to remain conscious they are under the microscope as they type - what they do needs to be as clear, fair and concise as possible.

Have Mods stepped over that line in the past? Of course. I know I have before also. When it becomes consistantly so however, thats when Houston has its problem.

Lead by example. A great maxim to follow.

...though I will also add this little bit:
It's been my experience here - and indeed in many places on the net - that its often the people who hold Mods to account that are also those inclined to be guilty of the very things they accuse the Mods of.

Often those who actively and consistantly remind the Mods of 'fair play' tend to also be some of the main skirters of 'fair play' and continually brush the borders of acceptable interaction on the website. They tend not to hold themselves as firmly to the rules as they wish to hold Mods to - and indeed its almost like a bad script we're all familiar with: They skirt, they get told off, they claim innocence. They skirt, they get told off, they claim misunderstanding. They skirt, they get told off, they again claim innocence. Then...they skirt, they get slapped, they cry foul and attempt to throw mud at the Mod/s.

In essence it becomes little more than a case of a sulky whiney baby with a smacked bottom...

Peace.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Whoa......I thought you were surely dead alien.

This is a momentous day.

I hope to see more of you around the forums.

Love and light,

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
Whoa......I thought you were surely dead alien.

...thanks...

...not to worry, I wasn't kidnapped by Men in Black...rather by a Woman in White...ie:Got married...

...house, job, working on a family...might not sound as exciting as Aliens or black tinted vans...but there ya go...

[edit on 7-7-2008 by alien]

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
...not to worry, I wasn't kidnapped by Men in Black...

And if you realize how many black vans in the middle of the day/midnight hypnosis sessions it took for him to confidently post such a response...then you may understand my difficulties in recent memory...

*Ahem*

Welcome back, alien...and "Nice to meet you,"...

P.S. I second everything alien said regarding online prescience. There are times when it is absolutely necessary to consider that perhaps a T&C violation was the result of an emotional reaction and not that of intention.

Usually, the guys who tend to be problems want to be a problem...the guys and gals who are truly here to discourse but were blips on our radar, are the ones whom you don't here from....

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
They should maintain neutrality but I've seen myself they don't.

Someone insults you, you reply and get warned even though the person insulting you broke the T&C. I actually addressed this exact issue with a MOD that warned me and I didn't get a response.

Guess it goes with the territory

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The Neutral Zone

Originally posted by ATruGod
They should maintain neutrality but I've seen myself they don't.

Mods are members, and as members are entitled to have their own opinions on the issues.

HOWEVER, no moderator should ever take action against any member on the basis of their opinions.

Though it might not be obvious, we keep an eye on each other, and if any mod should take action against any member without a solid foundation in the T&C, it gets ugly fast, and we all know it.

Of course it may well seem like we "close ranks" on such questions, but speaking as a witness myself, there is NO room for misconduct on the part of any mod. Misconduct or malfeasance by mods is a quick way for them to be shown the door, and it has happened in the past.

Thus if you've seen *any* behavior inappropriate for a staff member (mods are required to comply with the terms & conditions like any other member), please let us know.

We can't be everywhere at once, but with the help of our fellow members, we do our best to keep things honest and keep the peace.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

]quote]not to worry, I wasn't kidnapped by Men in Black...rather by a Woman in White...ie:Got married..

Well dog-gone!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Semper

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........
Enjoies! You car fixin', guitar playin', good post writin' son of a gun! You'll always be my friend!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.............

Moderators = members who make sure that other members have a safe, fun atmosphere to speak of whatever they are thinking.
It really is that simple.
I have the best family on the globe here on ATS. I will lend an ear. Offer a shoulder. I will help in any way I can. But part of my job here on ATS is to make SURE that the T&C's are followed.
Have I scolded a friend? Yes.
Please remember this. Mods are volunteers. We get nothing for our time. I'm not complaining so please don't take it as such. It's a job. Much like an officer of the law. We look to see what needs to be fixed. Period. Is there an agenda?
Darn right there is. It's called the T&C's. Do i like a great debate? You bet. Do I like when another fellow member calls me out on the carpet. ABSOLUTELY!
Neutrality. I'll say this as simply as I can. EVERY member has a level playing field. There is NO preference amongst members by Mods. Be good, and all id good. Mess up, and you'll hear about it.
Heck, I've had my hand slapped a time or two.
It's not mods against members.
It's not.
It's simply members protecting the sanctity of what makes ATS so incredibly cool for other members.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

No they target and delete my content all the time, even when it's on topic. It's just that sometimes I mention the differences between men and women and how women always get treated better by everyone, including the government, while telling everyone else that they are still oppressed by men so they can keep getting paid. Upon seeing this content, the Mods promptly delete them, because women are just so special and apparantly can do what they want and have everyone to fend for them like children.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

So it's not because you just talk crap then?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

Selective Memory Much???

...so the deletions you've experienced recently have nothing to do with, oh, suggestions you'd pay for BJs, telling people they all appear to be on medication and/or should take medication, addressing your issues with Mod Actions in-thread and not via the Complaints link etc, targetting the 'poster' and not the 'post'...generally all those things that we all agreed NOT to do when we all signed up.

No. Couldn't be anything as simple as that.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join