It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US removes uranium from Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

US removes uranium from Iraq

news.yahoo.com

The removal of 550 metric tons of \"yellowcake\" — the seed material for higher-grade nuclear enrichment — was a significant step toward closing the books on Saddam\'s nuclear legacy. It also brought relief to U.S. and Iraqi authorities who had worried the cache would reach insurgents or smugglers crossing to Iran to aid its nuclear ambitions.

What\'s now left is the final and complicated push to clean up the remaining radioactive debris at the former Tuwaitha nuclear complex about 12 miles south of Baghdad — using teams that include Iraqi experts recently trained in the Chernobyl fallout zone in Ukraine.

\"Everyone is very happy to have this safely out of Iraq,\" said a senior U.S. official who outlined the nearly three-month operation to The Associated Press. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject.

While yellowcake alone is not considered potent enough for a so-called \"dirty bomb\" — a conventional explosive that disperses radioactive material — it could stir widespread panic if incorporated in a blast. Yellowcake also can be enriched for use in reactors and, at higher levels, nuclear weapons using sophisticated equipment.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hardware.slashdot.org

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So, I guess the Bush administration didn't completely lie? That's a lot of uranium, 550 metric tons?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

If they didn't lie . Then if Saddam had 550mt of it . Why buy a few pounds from Africa?

Besides . This was never part of the debate. This is from there legit nuclear plant . That no one ever denied them having . Nor said they couldn't have. It falls completely in the "energy" category . As far as uranium goes.

Its like trying to use Elmers glue to glue a car to the ceiling .
Sure there's glue that can do it . And sure you may even get it done with the Elmers . But the effort would far surpass the reward.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
They're worried about this?

Notice the part that says it's not harmful enough to be used in even a dirty bomb?

Man, the Bush regime is really scratching at anything they can to make it look like they weren't lying.

Whats next? "We found aluminum"?
lol.

If the Bush regime wasn't so hell bent on getting people killed, I'd think they were pretty funny.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Ok I am confused now. If they had this huge stockpile then why were they trying to buy a little from Nigeria if they even were at all? Also did we know about this stockpile before we went in? Is this what Bush was referring to as him having weapons of mass destruction or what Nigeria used as an excuse or what the hell...someone tell me what I am missing here....

top topics

join