It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The clock started ticking for LHC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

The clock started ticking for LHC

www.lhcountdown.com

The day it turns on will be a moment of truth for Cern, which has spent 13 years building the collider, and for the world’s physicists, who have staked their credibility and their careers, not to mention all those billions of dollars, on the conviction that they are within touching distance of fundamental discoveries about the universe. If they fail to see something new, experts agree, it could be a long time, if ever, before giant particle accelerators are built on Earth again, ringing down the curtain on at least one aspect of the age-old quest to understand what the world is made of and how it works.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I don't know if it was posted allready but I thought this would be interesting news. Three days from now they will switch on a machine worth bilions of dollars ( that is about 500 euro's ) that will smash little particles in to eachother. And who knows, it might even seriously disrupt our day. We'll soon see.

Anyway, here you can watch the countdown. See ya in three days,............or not.

www.lhcountdown.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Everybody in the damn Bunker!!! I'm not even kidding the swiss will wipe us out
They'll transform us in swiss cheese with holes everywhere.

Just for the gossips...did you know iranians worked on this project?!

Sleep tight buddies ( and dig that bunker if u haven't got one yet) hehe

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the link. I never even knew failure was an option for this experiment, it never even entered my mind until now. Is it really possible that nothing could happen when they switch the machine on? Hope not. I'm really excited about the potential discoveries this could bring us, possibly unexpected discoveries beyond our wildest expectations.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corum
Thanks for the link. I never even knew failure was an option for this experiment, it never even entered my mind until now. Is it really possible that nothing could happen when they switch the machine on? Hope not. I'm really excited about the potential discoveries this could bring us, possibly unexpected discoveries beyond our wildest expectations.

I believe the same "what will happen" was when the first Atomic bomb was tested, they did not know FOR SURE if the chain reaction would would be limitless.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2Faced
Three days from now they will switch on a machine worth bilions of dollars

It's not 3 days from now, it got delayed until August and that website hasn't been updated to account for that delay.

The first beams are due for injection in August 2008, with the first collisions planned to take place about two months later

en.wikipedia.org...

The big stuff is going to happen later when they do the collisions if anything big is going to happen. Should be exciting though just waiting in anticipation

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
[edit on 4-7-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
posted on 4-7-2008 @ 05:02 PM
"they will switch on a machine worth bilions of dollars
( that is about 500 euro's )"
haha Thats funny

People dont realize how huge this thing is just to make such a tiny thing.
Imagine the size of one we would need to blow up a small car.
There is no risk of this thing doing any harm, other than to the scientists who have spent the money on it, if it doesn't work.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

And who knows, it might even seriously disrupt our day. We'll soon see.

Here are two threads you might find interesting:

A glitch in the matrix?

and

The HC and our perception of 'reality'

As for "the moment of truth" (for CERN)... this journalistic platitude contains more acrid truth than its author probably suspects...

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
if there was contraversy surrounding this whole thing, could it not be possible that they just said they were starting it next month to get skeptics off their back? just wondering. i don't know too much about this on purpose as i tend to over analyze things and get myself worked up. lol

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Geez, I never thought about the implications of failure. I feel that even if they do not see what they expect to see, we will certainly see new things that eill further us into the next levels of civilization.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Aww they delayed it? I almost go excited for a minute there.

One things for sure, when they do spark that thing up, if anything goes wrong a bunker wont help ya much

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
10 days CERN watchers.

Soon we will cross over into a new development in science.

Lets just keep it that way.

new topics

top topics

join