It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube videos blamed in attack

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

YouTube videos blamed in attack

www.poughkeepsiejournal.com

DOVER - A series of negative videos knocking a Town of Dover hamlet has led to attacks on strangers, the latest of which resulted in a criminal charge.

Now, police and town officials are suggesting people stay out of Oniontown, unless they live there.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I've gone to Oniontown a few times, when I had reason to be there. These kids are friggin' idiots and they're lucky they came out alive. This place is not a joke. There really is inbreeding going on there, and the people have a greater penchant for violence as a result.

I've walked a lot of bad streets in NY, but I wouldn't go into this place after dark, and certainly not without good reason to be there.

www.poughkeepsiejournal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Caution - language

[edit on 7/4/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Stay out of onion town unless you live there........

Thats gotta say it all hasn't it ?

Thats a real stupid thing to do. Lucky for them the locals were not too agitated by some snotty kids.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Thats a real stupid thing to do. Lucky for them the locals were not too agitated by some snotty kids.

They can get agitated real quick. The kids in the video probably didn't have a resl problem because it was colder weather. Obviously, the kids in the article had a harder time, with more people being out and about.

Me and an old buddy of mine used to run a wrecker up there sometimes. We knew enough to keep our mouths shut, take care of our business and get out. We slipped up on the last visit though. We both laughed at a commercial on the radio, and they thought we were laughing at them.

The next thing we knew we were being surrounded and pelted with rocks. A gun was displayed as well, but they did not fire, thank God, though it might have been loaded with rock-salt from what I have heard of a few other run-ins over that way.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Just goes to show though how a deprived area can really fall through the cracks in even local governments eagle eyed watch.

But to be fair, thes epeople want to live and be left alone just like most folks do, so, if you have business, just do it and leave..

But... its still damn scary that this is a real town in the 21st century.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
And this part of NY isn't exactly the sticks anymore either. Twenty minute drive to put you right in the middle of the other end of the American strife spectrum, the inner-city sort with hookers and crack dealers on street corners.

[edit on 7/4/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Are you freakin kidding me?
This is the most idiotic string of video I think I have ever seen.
What the hells the big deal? So they drove into a dirty ass town/ village that presents itself as a 3rd world country,,,....WHO CARES??
Oh yeah and whats with the slllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwww moooooo.. of the lady walking and passing the window? OMG look every one its a slightly obese lady living in a dirty trailer park completely ignoring the camera!!! Well she didnt have any horns or two heads, though she did have a fat rear so she must be an "embread, wrong turn, the hills have eyes, deliverance momma sister aunt cousin baby freakazoid"!

Give me a break, if these losers want somthing constructive to do they should go to Iraq and put their inappropriate skills as amature and exploitive paparazzis to use. The good news for them is that just like "onion town" the locals in Iraq done get angry wid dem outer towners when dey go taken photi-graphs or dem movin pictures. Please.. spare me and I pray that those guys somehow some way give me back the 9+ minutes I lost watching their trivial and fruitless "adventure".

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Oh and just for the record if someone continuously drove by my house taking pictures and mocking my way of life I suppose I would find it in my heart to share my property with them by throwing a brick through thier windshield.

Good lord reruns of Jerry Springer have real psycho inbred friutloops actually attacking each other and thats far more exciting than driving around looking at chickens in dirt roads. "Is that a fire??"

No..its ball lighting!
sarcasm is priceless and abundant.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
What should be done, now that the place has been exposed, is for the government to actually do something for once that benefits the country. They should force those people out of their hovels, and raze the town to the ground. Being poor is o excuse for disgusting living habits, obesity, or inbreeding. This is quite apparently, a severely backwards town, that don't want their dirtyy secrets aired to the world. This town helps prove the point, that no births should be allowed ever, util background checks, genetic testing, and family medical histories are run, and permission is given.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

No kidding!
A chicken, an open window and a fire.
Hillbillies! Quick run!

Those spoiled rotten brats are bigger losers than any self sufficient rural folk will ever be. They couldn't even plan the thing out well enough to get there while it was still daylight.
I wonder if they’ve got the cojones to go back now that they’ve raised a fuss?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I know you guys think you are sticking up for the little guy, but you have it all wrong. Though I've never been to this town, I can picture it. I used to work in a town very much like it (I'm sure) called Clyde, NC.

I had to do repo work there. I started out in Asheville and thought that doing repo work in the ghetto was bad. However, after spending time there, I transfered to Clyde and started repossessing from the trailer people.

I'd much rather work in the ghetto. Those types of people are nuts. They have no regard for anything or anyone.

Obviously it doesn't hold true for everyone, but just know that going through those kinds of towns can be far more dangerous than urban ghettos.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The idiots that made the video took it down, I save it before they did, unless YouTube takes it down here is the link:
youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Obviously it doesn't hold true for everyone, but just know that going through those kinds of towns can be far more dangerous than urban ghettos.

Indeed. Now, I agree that those idiot kids were probably as ignorant, if not more so, than the subject of their video expedition, but Oniontown is not a joke. The police will only go in their when they have to, and the NYState Trooper said about as much in the second video clip. There are things that happen in places like that which you will never hear about.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Some bunch of nonconformist most of you people are."It's such a scary place the cops won't go there", like it's a bad thing to live someplace the jackboot isn't too interested in strolling about.

"They have inbreeding going on, I know 'cause I can just tell." Well, so did/does the royal families of Europe, from which many here count kinship.Actually, the number of incestous relationships in America has been shown to be a small but constant percentage throughout all socioeconomic levels and educational backgrounds.

"But they're poor and live in trailer parks." Yeah, and if our Rep/Dem leaders keep going, and the housing market keeps falling, a lot of you proud brick home loving suburbanites will be sleeping in your Valvos, till the repo man shows up, and envying those with trailers. (Every outsourced job puts another yuppie in a mobile home and a Chevy.)

The problem here is the snotty, "I'm better" attitude of far to many people. Most of you will reach for your wallet when Sally Struthers puts on a crying jag for some poor kid in a third world country, but when it's your neighbor, then you get all self rightous about how it's their own fault.It scares you into acting like it's their fault, something they should have avoided, because to admit anything else means you admit you too are only a few steps from the poorhouse door yourself.

The truth is, poverty is like quicksand, and once you're in the trap, it's hell to get out, no matter where you live. If you're born to the wrong side of the tracks, if you lack the family ties, and financial means, to get into a good school and then the social network to get a decent job, you remain poor.

And do a quick study of the rising number of college grads, mostly WASPs, that move back in with dear old Mom and Dad, and their bank account and nice home, to leach till the folks kick the bucket and they inherit the stocks and bonds that are the wealth source for so many. Even with all the advantages, far too many are just living off of yesterday's gains.

But it's easier to deny the truth that America has a crisis of poverty, to work to change it, than it is to cast blame with half baked phrases like "inbred" and "lazy" and all the other nasty small minded cliches learned from the snobbery of the elite of a bygone era.But these trite sound bites are really just charms thrown like salt over the shoulder, warders spoken in hopes they will protect against falling into the same pit.

Poverty in some far off land is understandable, and safe, because the distance involved doesn't admit to the reality of it. But poverty in the next town, in the ghetto, in the deep south, that's too close, too scary, and rather than face the fact that it could happen to you, you struggle to rationalize ways to blame the poor themselves.

Not all of you, but certainly some, ought to feel shame. But I'm sure you'll be able to disguise it as anger, which is always a better cloak for moral nudity.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It really is sad how these poor people have to live. People should be ashamed at driving through these areas. The majority of the working class people are only one pay check from losing everything. People should wake up and realize it could happen to any of us.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but you clearly have not visited areas like this. It's not about being poor.

Look, I don't think many (or any) here are saying they deserve to be side showed. All I'm saying is that they are not innocent either.

You want to see what being impoverished does? Go to your typical trailer park or ghetto. It's not pretty. However, the people we are discussing are different.

It's not even about being poor. They don't care about being poor. They are proud of their lifestyle. I've been in these places. Their trailers are literally filthy. An animal shouldn't live in them, let alone a human.

I'm talking about a layer of junk on the floor a foot deep. It's not an exaggeration. Roaches, fleas, and other bugs. God knows what else. The type of place that you feel like something is crawling on you by just looking at it. It will give you nightmares.

Should people be driving through and mocking them? No. But don't stick up for them either. I just really don't think you've encountered the types of areas I am talking about. I really do believe you are confusing a regular trailer park with a entirely different class of humans - I don't even have/know a name for them.

reply to post by lilsugag99

Again, it's not poverty. These people are plenty self-sufficient and they know that. They know that they can live their lives how they please without education, day jobs, etc. Picture Amish people but instead of being deeply religious they are just disturbed.

It's hard to explain to someone who's never encountered it. I am all for government funding and helping people get out of poverty. I am for cleaning up ghettos, sending food to the poor overseas. In fact, I'm about as liberal as you can get when it comes to social classes.

While no one should be mocking them, these people should not be pitied either.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Isn't this the very thing that good ole' Senator Klinton said she needed to be elected so she could save the populace from this terrible blight??? I seem to remember many speeches on the MSM where she promissed quick action on this!
Zindo

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

A agree that some people don't seem to try, and because of this, it's easy to paint them in certain stereotypical ways. But there is another factor that is often overlooked. Hopelessness builds walls to many things.

I have lived on the reservations of South Dakota, and trust me, it seemed like a suburb of Culcutta or Mexico City. Alcoholism was rampant, as was suicide. There was an air of despondancy that pervaded everything, a miasma of hoplessness that dulled the senses and blunted the will.

Rusted hulks of vehicles littered the yards, trash piled up unmoved, children played listlessly in the unkept yards while parents drank rotgut and watched the flies circle the stove. But changing the conditions surrounding them seemed more effort than could be mustered, for the will to rebell, even against squalor, had been removed through years of failure. Failure to retain a culture, failure to achieve equality, failure to believe in dreams of a better future. Failure to see themselves as worthwhile.

When any group of people, regardless of culture or color, feels collectively that they have no hope of a better tommorow, at least for their offspring, then there seems no reason to care much about the conditions of the present. And worst of all, the vicious circle can spiral downward for generations.

Dreams and hopes need understanding and nourishment even more than the body.

I'm not making excuses, just understanding the reasoning that is often instilled so young that it seem to be as much a fact of life as the air one breathes. It creeps into the soul almost before formal language, and like a stutter or a lisp, effects all the words uttered to one's self, binds all the promises to escape. Like a card game rigged by the Fates themselves, the House of Hoplessness almost always wins. If you haven't even a memory of prosperiaty, the weight of the future, even the next hour, is a burden scarcely to be born.

Haven't you seen those commercials for depression, how it effects every facet of a person's life? Now imagine a depression sucked into the psyche with the first breath of this world, and (hopefully) released at last with that final mortal exhalation. Life without meaning, without change, without true joy. Impoverishment so deep and inescapable that life and death seem all the same, impoverishment of the soul.

Now imagine the resentment one feels for "tourists", who want to go slumming and pointing their fingers and holding their noses. Feel the anger of knowing that they will go back to their soft world of grand houses and china dishes and linen covered beds. Share the hurt of certainty that you will never live like those sitcom families.

Put yourself in those shoes, and you too might well gather the energy to pick up a brick and bust a windshield on a car you will never have the money to buy tires for. You too might vent some anger on an alien world that reinforces the shabbiness of your own.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join