It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend a book?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So, to make it short and simple, I'm going on a trip and I need something to entertain me during the plain ride and some down time. The thing is, I don't generally read all that much. I enjoy reading, but usually not just for the sake of reading; it has to be something interesting. I've never really stuck to any genres, but the books I've really enjoyed somewhat recently have been the Harry Potter series, Angels and Demons, the Da Vinci Code, Life of Pi, and the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. I guess you could say fiction novels with not necessarily simple writing, but nothing pretentious. The subject matter can be serious, but I enjoy more light-hearted books that just kind of flow. I went to the bookstore yesterday and say nothing at all that interested me, and I've been browsing Amazon too. There are just SO many books, and I have no idea which are good and which are bad, so I turn to this public forum on my time of need!

Can anybody recommend a good read?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hey there...Mort, by Terry Pratchett, is one of my all time favourites...actually, anything by him is entertaining and very clever....

Cait.

JAK

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well said Caitlinfae.

As soon as I read the opening post I was going to suggest the same. I've yet to find a Discworld book that hasn't been a good giggle and perfect for an easy read in the holiday sun.

Jak

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (A Trilogy in Four Parts) by Douglas Adams, classic read that never gets old.

Any book that has the line "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving the Universes" has to be good.

[edit on 4-7-2008 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Postsingular by Rudy Rucker

Very strange book but easy to read and you won't put it down till it's done. Perfect for a trip.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
"Good Omens" by the above mentioned Terry Pratchett, in collaboration with Neil Gaiman is one of my faves. Totally hillarious read.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Easy to read, quantum physics floating items, swimming through the ground, sci fi ish, spiritually enlightening, and fiction to boot... easy...
Pick up the book, the most excellent book in the world... no kidding... it is my bible Illusions By Richard Bach on how to live life. The funny thing is its just a story, a mystery...

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Herman

if you liked harry potter. you would might like the dresden files by jim butcher. a virson of potter for adults. more sex and violence.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
John Steinbeck - Cannery Row

Great book set during the great depression, its very laid back and entertaining.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

A totally great read! I went through that book like a byte through the matrix!

Volume 1 (Quicksilver) of the Baroque Series, also authored by Neal Stevenson, I found to be equally good, but the series petered out badly after the second volume (The Confusion). The third (System of the World) was a total yawn-fest.

ZZZZZZ

Maybe he got bored after 2500 pages

JbT

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The Girl Who Owned a City, a novel by O. T. Nelson. Its a very easy read. But very suiting to the theme of some topics on ATS.

I just reread it a couple weeks ago. I had great imagination as a kid when reading this novel. Its really one of the first topics that got me thinking about the Apocalypse and that such topic.

In many ways, it sparked my intrest in many topic here at ATS.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaimless
Pick up the book, the most excellent book in the world... no kidding... it is my bible Illusions By Richard Bach on how to live life. The funny thing is its just a story, a mystery...

Agreed! This was one of the most profound things I've ever read. Totally realigned my spiritial awareness.

new topics

top topics

join