It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capcom sets out to 'brainwash' kids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Capcom sets out to brainwash kids

uk.news.yahoo.com

Video game developer Capcom is working with a leading academic on an initiative to embed subliminal lessons about physics and maths in game play.

(Advertisement)
Nipan Maniar, a senior lecturer in creative technologies at the University of Portsmouth, who created the cultural awareness game C-Shock, is collaborating with Capcom to provide structured learning environments in games.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-6-2008 by puzzled2]

[edit on 30-6-2008 by puzzled2]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Ok these are supposedly educational messages but what is determind as educational and what isn't.

After all with the current climate of hate and distrust amongst so call peaceful religons any thing could be acceptable.

How many games do you play a week?

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I hope they do make a math and physics game, for Wii. I will totally buy it, I want to learn, but my brain hurts just trying to understand it from a textbook. I think some people learn differently, visually, kinetically, what have you. I think as long as the purpose is disclosed and not hidden it is a great thing to try. These subjects will be our future kids need to learn them and be excited to use their knowledge for our future.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I agree, but this is not new. Games have been built with subliminal agendas for some time. Many of the shooters are designed to desentisize the youth to death and murder. It helps when they join the military or Law Enforcement.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Many of the shooters are designed to desentisize the youth to death and murder.

I'm sorry but that is complete and utter tripe.

Video games are designed to entertain, not train future soldiers and killers. I've been a gamer all my life, as have pretty much all of my friends, we are not desensitized to death and murder. None of us are going to go out and kill someone, we all find death as horrific as the next person.

No matter how honest Capcom's intentions, this is going to do nothing but harm to the gaming industry. It seems that Joe Public is already painfully misinformed about it already, this will just fuel the video games=murder 'argument'.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Subliminal messages have been used extensively in all genres or media/entertainment/education/politics/religion/etc.

I wonder exactly as to what depth they have managed to ingrain the subliminal messages... perhaps we would uncover a world, as usual, that was much deeper than we thought.

Anybody got any other examples of this sort of thing?

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Hmm... i wouldn't mind learning about the ballistics of how my mini-rocket is fired from the launcher and into an imp's face, it'd certainly add a new element to the games.

I'm in.

p.s; OP asked how many games i play a week.

I'd have to say that currently, i possess about five or six games for my personal computer which operate in a reasonable manner, most of which involve war-time situations (battlefield) with very little blood in them, although i do possess one or two real time strategy games, which would compliment this type of idea perfectly if done right.

None of which, i must say, harbour any real subversionary tactics that noticably modify my thought patterns.

Capcom is also a well-renowned company in the gaming world, with products like Resident Evil (zombies), Street Fighter (fireball attacks) and Megaman (CYBER-WAR), among others.

I see nothing wrong with making good games even better.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
You can't unconsciously learn something.

Capcom's just trying to get parents who don't buy their kids video games to relax their rules regarding the things.

No insidious motive (unless you consider advertising BS to be insidious)

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Awww that sucks i love Capcom games....well its not ture, since they said some stuff about it being educational...

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
This definitely isn't new. The original Mario Golf for the N64 had a phenominal physics engine which definitely challenged the player to actually calculate issues like which strength of club to use vs a leading or trailing wind. Also there were numerous old DOS games like the old Qbasic game Gorila Basic which had you firing off explosive bananas at angles to try and hit the King Kong on an adjacent building, or the old missle command game where you had to input a vector and firing strength to try and take out an enemy tank clear across the battlefield.

This isn't subliminal, either. Subliminal would be imbedding images that appeared for just a single frame or embedding a barely perceptable audio track during play. This is actually an example of directed learning. Meaning in order to excell at the game, you have to learn what the game expects you to learn.

For the guy that said games are murder simulators, get with the modern era and pull yourself out of the collonial times Jack Thompson resides in. Numerous studies have shown no link between the playing of violent video games and crime. If any link exists, it's that criminals actually play games in their spare time... just like students, doctors, lawyers, engineers, housewives, husbands, prostitutes, ministers, police officers, bakers,... you get the point? I'm a collector. I own practically every console marketed in this country since the old Pong home system (thank you Ebay for providing me with 90% of my collection) I have played the so-called worst of the worst. Manhunt, GTA, Night Trap, I even have a bootlegged copy of ThrillKill, the game so violent it was never released. So far, in 32 years of life (27 of those spent gaming) I've murdered.... uh, let's see... ah yes, zero people. I've committed zero violent crimes, stolen zero cars, and worshipped zero Satans.

Weak minds cause people to become criminals and get desensitized to violence and gore, not games, movies, TV, or music.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Well this is like the least scary conspiracy ever. I'm going to get help with my maths homework and play games while I'm getting that help? Sure, sign me up...

join