It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High gas prices hobble cities nationwide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

High gas prices hobble cities nationwide

www.latimes.com

DENVER -- Squeezed by soaring energy prices, governments around the nation are reacting just like consumers -- changing basic routines, and scrimping and saving in order to get by.

School buses are major gas guzzlers, and several districts are cutting back routes. In suburban Seattle, the Northshore School District has cut eight bus routes, requiring some students to walk farther to get to their stops. Children will no longer be able to use school buses to travel to gifted programs at far-off schools.

The burden of fuel costs has fallen disproportionately on law enforcement agencies. "If fuel prices keep going up, it's going to have a devastating impact on our ability to function," said Hubert Williams, president of the Police Foundation in Washington.

Governments are in a bind: "You can't increase taxes and you can't raise revenues, but you can't cut back on policing," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Well I think the Greedy oil Co arent finish yet!
I guess the share holders are thrilled!

Now lets get Iran oil, and charge the USA MORE!

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Maybe we'll be safer with less police chases killing people and they might get out of their cars and ride a bike or walk the beat. Now that they have the camera ticket computers going in we don't need as many traffic cops either - they've been replaced by computers & cameras - big deal. Less intimidation & illegal searches without the loss of revenue flow & the so called law breakers still get tickets. See, tickets without cops are not such a bad thing when you look at it that way.

Kids walking farther will hopefully give them more exercise, since the state cut the PE classes.

Our State Ferries have also smartly decided to shut down their engines in between runs instead of running them constantly all day.

Hmm, so far I haven't found anything bad about government agencies having to cut back on fuel - maybe they'll start reducing their numbers and well have less parasites in the ranks.

There will always be enough full for cops to go to important calls, just the more frivolous ones will be cut. Firetrucks will still go to fires, but maybe less stupidity of driving to known false alarms. (alarms that have been declared false through phone contact that they still drive to anyway)

All those government cars being used for private purposes or frivolously, will be cut. If I was running any government motor pool I would install real time GPS tracking and video cameras with all logs reviewed monthly.

[edit on 30-6-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

i live in the uk and we are being told the the same things are happening to our public services.
like you i see no problem with this whatsoever, in england 6 people out of 10 working people work for goverment or local councils, totally unsustainable

new topics

top topics

join