It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Exams reveal abuse, torture of detainees

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Report: Exams reveal abuse, torture of detainees

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former terrorist suspects detained by the United States were tortured, according to medical examinations detailed in a report released Wednesday by a human rights group.

The Massachusetts-based Physicians for Human Rights reached that conclusion after two-day clinical evaluations of 11 former detainees, who had been held at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and in Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
More and more evidence of war crimes ordered by the President Himself are just pouring out of the woodwork. How can anyone deny what is happening right before our eyes?

When are we going to do something? Where does Americas limit for immoral acts lie?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Did you even read the entire story? Apparently not.
Pfftt.....give me a break with this garbage. This entire story is bogus and nothing but anti-us propaganda because of the following two sentences from the article:

All the subjects told examiners that they were subjected to multiple forms of torture or ill treatment that "often occurred in combination over a long period of time," the report says.

While the report presents synopses of the detainees' backgrounds based on interviews with them, the authors did not have access to the detainees' medical histories. Therefore, there's no way to know whether any of the inmates may have had medical or mental problems before being detained.

So let's see if I have this straight....
A) The examiners are going by what the subject told them. Yeah, the poor little innocent terrorists would never lie.

B) They did not have acess to medical histories therefore there is no way to know whether the terrorists had medical or mental problems before hand.

So, this proves what? Absolutely nothing! This is the same old tired anti-us propaganda we have heard in the past.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
How ridiculous. These guys run head first into walls and fences. Take turns kicking each other for hours. And its us thats to blame. Go right ahead and drink the koolaid folks. These guys win because you hate this administration and are willing to believe anything the other sides propaganda throws at you. Its your life, you have the right to believe it. But when the next large bomb goes off and Bush ain't here to blame. I'm sure you'll find someone other than who realy did it to blame!!
Zindo

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

If we don't listen to the detainees, how will we ever know what happens in there? It's not like the higher-ups who approve of the torture are going to admit publicly what they're doing. And for that matter, what should their medical history have to do with whether or not we should torture them? Is it ok to torture someone because they're insane? Are you an advocate of electro-shock therapy?

And it's not just the "terrorists" who are speaking out about the torture, several military personnel have come forward about mistreatment also:

Source

The remarks by Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba, who is now retired, came in a report that found that U.S. personnel tortured and abused detainees in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, using beatings, electrical shocks, sexual humiliation and other cruel practices.

I guess this guy is just a "terrorist" working from the inside.

Yup, sounds like "anti-us propaganda" to me.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
How ridiculous. These guys run head first into walls and fences. Take turns kicking each other for hours. And its us thats to blame. Go right ahead and drink the koolaid folks. These guys win because you hate this administration and are willing to believe anything the other sides propaganda throws at you. Its your life, you have the right to believe it. But when the next large bomb goes off and Bush ain't here to blame. I'm sure you'll find someone other than who realy did it to blame!!
Zindo

We have evidence for the Order of torture:

rawstory.com...
www.youtube.com...
www.hrw.org...

www.democracynow.org...

Bush Reserves Right To Order Torture of Prisoners This update on a story we have been tracking closely. Last week President Bush officially signed a bill outlawing torture of detainees. While the bill signing received significant press coverage, what Bush did following the signing has not. According to the Boston Globe, Bush quietly issued what is known as a signing statement in which he lays out his interpretation of the new law. In this document Bush declared that he will view the interrogation limits in the context of his broader powers to protect national security. Legal experts say this means Bush believes he can waive the anti-torture restrictions. New York University Law Professor David Golove criticized Bush’s move. He said ‘’The signing statement is saying ’I will only comply with this law when I want to, and if something arises in the war on terrorism where I think it’s important to torture or engage in cruel, inhuman, and degrading conduct, I have the authority to do so and nothing in this law is going to stop me,’ "

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
And so, because these very savy jihadists know how to manipulate our press, we should bow down and kiss they're behinds??? Maybe you should talk to some of our men and women who have to deal with them. I have, and the story they tell is much differant from what you read from these links you've given us. Do we use torture? Yes, but its not for punishment. Its for obtaining vital information. Its not done for amusement. Don't bother bringing up Abu Graib, That was NOT torture. Maybe you need to talk to someone like Marcus Latrell who was tortured for 15 hours straight, by Afgan's Mujahadine just for fun. You think we should treat these people with kid gloves? Fine. When they are out on bail, and they soon will be, let them live in your house.

Zindo

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
If we don't listen to the detainees, how will we ever know what happens in there?

For starters, who gives a # about these low life scum terrorists.
Secondly, you have to take what these people say with LESS than a grain of salt because they are terrorists and know how to play the innocent bystander for the media.

what should their medical history have to do with whether or not we should torture them? Is it ok to torture someone because they're insane? Are you an advocate of electro-shock therapy?

You missed the point or did not comprehend what you read. Their medical history has nothing to do with whether or not they get interrogated. You need to know the history because how are these people looking into their accussations supposed to know whether or not the person was injured or beaten before they got captured.

BTW, its not torture. Real torture is done by our enemy. Along with the beheadings and the burning of people alive they love to break bones, drill into the flesh and bones, chop off limbs and other gruesome real torture techniques.

I guess this guy is just a "terrorist" working from the inside.

Sorry, but who cares what one politically correct liberal with an agenda has to say.

Yup, sounds like "anti-us propaganda" to me.

Good, glad we agree. I knew I would change your mind.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Did you even read the entire story? Apparently not.
Pfftt.....give me a break with this garbage. This entire story is bogus and nothing but anti-us propaganda

And did you read the report? It's available online at the PHR website. Annoyingly, a free registration is required to download the complete 130-page document.

Chapter 3, "Medical Evidence of Ill-Treatment in US Detention Facilities", begins on page 17. It's 56 pages long.

From the Preface to the report:

This report tells the largely untold human story of what happened to detainees in our custody when the Commander-in-Chief and those under him authorized a systematic regime of torture. This story is not only written in words: It is scrawled for the rest of these individual’s lives on their bodies and minds. Our national honor is stained by the indignity and inhumane treatment these men received from their captors.

The profiles of these eleven former detainees, none of whom were ever charged with a crime or told why they were detained, are tragic and brutal rebuttals to those who claim that torture is ever justified. Through the experiences of these men in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Guantanamo Bay, we can see the full-scope of the damage this illegal and unsound policy has inflicted - both on America’s institutions and our nation’s founding values, which the military, intelligence services, and our justice system are duty-bound to defend.

In order for these individuals to suffer the wanton cruelty to which they were subjected, a government policy was promulgated to the field whereby the Geneva Conventions and the Uniform Code of Military Justice were disregarded. The UN Convention Against Torture was indiscriminately ignored. And the healing professions, including physicians and psychologists, became complicit in the willful infliction of harm against those the Hippocratic Oath demands they protect.

After years of disclosures by government investigations, media accounts, and reports from human rights organizations, there is no longer any doubt as to whether the current administration has committed war crimes. The only question that remains to be answered is whether those who ordered the use of torture will be held to account.

The former detainees in this report, each of whom is fighting a lonely and difficult battle to rebuild his life, require reparations for what they endured, comprehensive psycho-social and medical assistance, and even an official apology from our government.

But most of all, these men deserve justice as required under the tenets of international law and the United States Constitution.

And so do the American people.

Major General Antonio Taguba, USA (Ret.)

Maj. General Taguba led the US Army’s official investigation into the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal and testified before Congress on his findings in May, 2004.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Yes its just anti US propaganda. I am most certainly not anti US. Im anti criminals in office. There is a big difference between the two. Not every story is propaganda. Nice way to dodge an issue though.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Yes its just anti US propaganda.

Then if you admit its nothing but propaganda, why did you post it?

Are you being disingenuous?

I am most certainly not anti US. Im anti criminals in office. There is a big difference between the two.

Who said you were anti-US? It would help if you quoted who you are replying to.
Which criminals are you refering to? The dem's in Congress?

Not every story is propaganda. Nice way to dodge an issue though.

No, not every story is but the one you posted is propaganda and you admitted it in your last post.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Yes its just anti US propaganda.

Then if you admit its nothing but propaganda, why did you post it?

Are you being disingenuous?

I am most certainly not anti US. Im anti criminals in office. There is a big difference between the two.

Who said you were anti-US? It would help if you quoted who you are replying to.
Which criminals are you refering to? The dem's in Congress?

Not every story is propaganda. Nice way to dodge an issue though.

No, not every story is but the one you posted is propaganda and you admitted it in your last post.

Obviously you dont understand sarcasm, as you actually think I was admitting to anything of the sort. As if it were up to me or you as to whether this is propaganda.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Obviously you dont understand sarcasm, as you actually think I was admitting to anything of the sort.

Obviously you don't know how to inject or direct your sarcasm because you did a piss poor job of it.

As if it were up to me or you as to whether this is propaganda.

Of course it's up to me or you. Are you going to let someone else decide or think for you?
Sorry, but since I know how to read and think, I can determine for myself what is and is not propaganda. But you go ahead and wait for your talking points before making a decision.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Really? Can you? You think you know the real difference between information/and disinformation? The idea is that you can't, and neither can I. So where does this leave us? Somewhere in the middle. Somewhere in the middle Bush is still a war criminal. Because we know he ordered it. And I don't care if you think it's ok, the LAW says it isn't. The President broke the law, no one is above the law, it's why we have checks and balances. You can accuse me of anything you'd like, but you know little of my political leanings so tread carefully, you wouldn't want to look like a fool now would you?

All I'm saying is that there is something to this that you don't seem to want to see, there is, in fact, evidence of war crimes, and people from every side of the American political system have come out in protest. Insiders have said their peace, and more will come.

Story after story, from source after source, and what I realize even more than you think, is that even if it all came from fox news(and some of those sources do) you'd still call it the liberal media propaganda machine, never mind that it was that same "liberal media" that helped and aided the government in a propaganda campaign to sell this war to Americans. (I've posted many times on this and those resources are readily available on line and from various sources including many directly from government). It was the liberal media that turned a damned moron like Bush into some sort of a lopsided superhero. And it is this "Liberal Media" that is also selling us war with Iran. Where do you suppose propaganda really comes from, the most effective kind? Remember that anti-war sentiment has only recently been given any day light in the MSM at all. It has taken so much work, and cutting through red tape, and facing walls, and facing the reality of being silenced, facing incarceration, facing the reality of being called a traitor, facing the reality of being called a terrorist, facing the iron grip of fascism, a true symptom of the police state.

We have been publicly ridiculed by the MSM before the war even started, told to get lives by morons like Geraldo Rivera and Rush Limbaugh. Told to shut up by Bill O' Reilly when it is our god damned right to stand up and say HEY THIS IS WRONG. THIS IS UNJUSTIFIED. THIS IS CRIMINAL. Don't talk to me about a damned liberal media. If that's your boogey man then hide from it.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Really? Can you? You think you know the real difference between information/and disinformation? The idea is that you can't, and neither can I.

Umm....we were not talking about information/disinformation. Are you purposefully moving the goal posts or changing the subject. We were talking about propaganda. You do realize these are two different things right?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
No they really aren't, information and disinformation can be and ARE used as tools of propaganda peddlers to whatever ends. It's just another tool in the tool box.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
TAKE NO PRISONERS!! KILL YOUR ENEMY ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE!!

I would love to see the look on Bush and Cheney when they are tried for war crimes.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
TAKE NO PRISONERS!! KILL YOUR ENEMY ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE!!

I would love to see the look on Bush and Cheney when they are tried for war crimes.

You should perhaps go try and grind your own groin because they will never be tried for war crimes since it's a baseless accussation.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Yes , but you see, there is alot more evidence out there that he is a criminal than there is saying hes not. Every day the evidence pile against him grows larger and larger, eventually people who defend this criminal will be crushed by the burden of proof. Eventually this president will go to prison. There aren't many of you Bush diehards left,my advice, put down the burden soon, it may get to heavy to handle. And screaming propaganda over and over again will eventually not suffice as an arguement, even for you.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

You must be one of those fabled mind controlled robots.
But seriously, how can you say the Bush is not a war criminal when he kidnaps people and flies them around the globe to be tortured in the same planes that are later found with tons of coc aine in them? Registered to CIA front companies at the time they are crashed with drugs. How can this not raise a flag in your mind? What about the war profiteering by administration officials and members of congress who send our children to die for dollars.*insert patriotic musical medley here* We have allowed ourselves to be lied to and sold a bill of goods and those who have never hated us before now hate us with a passion. Meanwhile any jacka$$ can walk across our southern border with a tactical nuke or biological materials, or any number of terrorist weapons. King George and company have reamed us rightly. You could be too numb from the pain to realize it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join