It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

super string theory / 'm' THEORY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
this being my first post ive been quite intrigued by physics for as long as i can remember. that being said ive "zoned" in on a particular set of these theorems known as superstring theory and vastly more intruiging "M" theory

In physics, M-theory is a proposal that unifies the five ten-dimensional superstring theories as limits of a single 11-dimensional theory. Though a full description of the theory is not yet known, the low-energy dynamics are known to be supergravity interacting with 2- and 5-dimensional membranes. This theory is the unique supersymmetric theory in eleven dimensions, with its low-energy matter content and interactions fully determined.

Drawing on the work of a number of string theorists (including Ashoke Sen, Chris Hull, Paul Townsend, Michael Duff and John Schwarz); Edward Witten of the Institute for Advanced Study suggested its existence at a conference at USC in 1995, and used M-theory to explain a number of previously observed dualities, sparking a flurry of new research in string theory called the second superstring revolution.

According to Witten and others, the M in M-theory could stand for master, mathematical, mother, mystery, membrane, magic, or matrix. Witten reluctantly admits the M in M-theory can also stand for murky due to the fact that the level of understanding of the theory is so primitive.

In the early 1990s, it was shown that the various superstring theories were related by dualities, which allow physicists to relate the description of an object in one super string theory to the description of a different object in another super string theory. These relationships imply that each of the super string theories is a different aspect of a single underlying theory, proposed by Witten, and named "M-theory".

M-theory is not yet complete; however it can be applied in many situations (usually by exploiting string theoretic dualities. Witten has suggested that a general formulation of M-theory will probably require the development of new mathematical language. However, some scientists have questioned the tangible successes of M-theory given its current incompleteness, and limited predictive power, even after so many years of intense research.

the idea that we are but one slice of bread in a loaf a.k.a "the bulk" is utterly mind blowing being unable to sufficiently explain this in my own words there is a video series called Elegant Universe while only scratching the surface of the underlying principles i find it to be a good start for anyone who is curious and would like to start a dialouge about thoughts on the subject.

on a side note and this is obviously much more speculation than the rest of quantum mechanics but anyway if your really want a good mental orgasm for lack of a better term seek out the film "what the bleep do we know down the rabbit hole"

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
We may end up finding out, some day, that we really do create our own reality.

Could it be that circumstances arise and take their course on this Earth, all the time directed by the collective consciousness of Humanity...

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
that seems to be the greater underlying question in my mind. and if we are responsible for the day to day events of our reality via yet unknouwn links between ourselves and our universe doesnt that mean we all have a different reality inside our colloctive "verse"

probably poorly worded but eh

[edit on 20-6-2008 by constantwonder]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

Evidence of that can be found in how each individual believes the World actually functions. Whether it be what was 'learned' in schools, with a 'normal' view of our economic and governing structure, or a criminal, shadowy, and behind the scenes hierarchy, or some variation in between.

So if there are at least eleven dimensions, and we now know, something like at least 95% of the matter in the Universe is not visible to Humans, it seems quite an interesting possibility of other-dimensional Beings existing...?

[edit on 20-6-2008 by FewWorldOrder]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
String theory has received a lot of criticism in recent years due to the enormous amount of research effort involved with very little to show for it over the last 25 years or so. Apparently, because of the number of free parameters it's not even really falsifiable and has not really predicted any new testable phenomenon.

I'd be more interested in how this theory pans out.
www.martinfrost.ws...

Critics of string theory:
www.math.columbia.edu...
www.newyorker.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
the reason it is so hard to understand and so attacked is that our current mathematic theory doesnt have a language to define its perameters and until fundemental flaws in our own mathematics is corrected string the best we have

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
ill pst again after i read the frost paper

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Yeah, but at one time, "spherical-earthers" were criticized a lot also.

I like the "E8" algebra/theory stuff in the link, not that I really understand it very well. It seems to indicate even more possible dimensions than String Theory does.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Not that i am an expert by any means, i am a layman in the field (yeah the field behind your house!!!..... sorry couldn't resist the bad joke) i belive that there are infinite dimensions rather than 11.
It would be hard to prove or disprove as a computer model that can come anywhere near accounting for infinite dimensions isn't available and would be extremely hard to create.
Due to the way that some people reply and attempt to tear apart innocent posts on this great site i feel i should re-assert that i am only a layman and i claim no expert knowledge or expertise in the area of physics and that this is just an idea.

[edit on 21/6/2008 by smokey101]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FewWorldOrder

The math is a bit beyond my skills as well. I hated differential geometry. I think the allure of Lisi's theory is that there are no free parameters and it's basically tied to the structure of E8, which is supposed to make it 'elegant'.

There are other dissident theories though. The Brazillians have this guy, who claims to have invented an antigravity 'cell' using his quantized gravity theory.
users.elo.com.br...

Also check out the prominent Masonic symbols on his site. Supposedly the Brazilian government has been looking into his work.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
should be very interesting developements on this subject in the next few months as the new hadron collider is about to begin its experiments so.... maybe soon we'll know one or the other super string ,gravity braids, or E8 all of which predict particles that should be able to be created in the new collider....

and for all you people who are considering the fact that it could destroy humanity the universe whatever.... think about this, as i understand the actuall part of the collider where the collisions will take place is very much like a tokomac reactor which can contain energy producing incredible heats up to 50 million degrees and impossibly strong electromag fields within its own electromag field then there should be no issue with a micro black hole whose energy capacity is imeasurably small in comparison to 50 million degree plasma

anyway back on the subject od physics wether or not any of these theories is right or wrong i believe physics will always be incomplete because no matter how deep you go you never really solve anything only uncover more questions example: our verse > our galaxy > our solar system > our planet > our population > are cells > are atoms > quarks > etc. etc. etc. there will always be another layr to peel back once we solve the strin theory or gravity braids or e8 whatever then we'll ask what underlies these principles and then underlines those principles in a never endending search for the one answer

which will most likely always elude us for reasons of our limitations or because the true "man behind the curtain" wont allow it who knows really thats why i love physics there will always be more to do more to consider more to think about and the pursuit of answers is what makes civilization continue every great civilization has fallen when there decedance leads them to pursue nothing but personal gain

[edit on 21-6-2008 by constantwonder]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

I agree. Thats a good way to look at it. God has hidden the mysteries of the universe well. We should not in our hubris think that we've got all the answers. Like you said, our finite capacities will never be able to comprehend it all.

That where physics often goes wrong. A theory becomes almost a religion, with it's own high priesthood. String theory is very much like that. A better approach is to assume that it is an approximation from the very beginning. As long as you can get good engineering results from it, over the desired range of inputs you should be happy.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
one of the greatest minds in physics ed witten seen reading not even wrong could this be an indication that string theory is losing momentum and physics is about to take a whole new route to the answer

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Its official now i will begin my journey into physics at the beginning of the new semester at missouri s&t

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
It blows my mind to think a particle can affect another on the other side of the universe. I also think all think all things are connected and only God will ever know it all. As far as multiple dimensions are concerned, I still can't wrap my mind around even the 4th dimension let alone 11!!!!!!

[edit on 22-6-2008 by christopherledwards]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by christopherledwards
It blows my mind to think a particle can affect another on the other side of the universe. I also think all think all things are connected and only God will ever know it all. As far as multiple dimensions are concerned, I still can't wrap my mind around even the 4th dimension let alone 11!!!!!!

post theres a short 10 minute thing on google called imagining the tenth dimesnion you can google it to find it i think it will help you grasp the higher dimensions in a very laymans way great video heres the link

video.google.com...

top topics

join