It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA hacker appeals to House of Lords to overturn extradition

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

Hacking is hacking, and I'm sure he came across some pretty sensitive stuff while looking through whatever he was trying to get to. He needs to be punished duly for his actions.

He was punished. In his own country. Should the US decide the fates of all individuals in the whole wide world who do a crime?

We got beat.

We need to worry more about security than punishment as far as I am concerned.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

The time has come when people all over the world should have full disclosure of everything going on at every level. These people are cival servants paid for with our money. It's time we get the info we pay for and stop the national security bull#. We are all equal the war machine is a lie. your freedom is being taken by these same people not the boogey man.

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
To be honest he did them a favour. Imagine if he had been someone with sinister intentions? He's probably saved the government from alot of embarassment if an actual terrorist had hacked in. The fact that he did it with software readily available in most good computer shops suggest the MOD & NASA should thanks the guy for bringing attention to their feeble computer protection. They should give him a job if anything!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles

To be honest he did them a favour. Imagine if he had been someone with sinister intentions? He's probably saved the government from alot of embarassment if an actual terrorist had hacked in. The fact that he did it with software readily available in most good computer shops suggest the MOD & NASA should thanks the guy for bringing attention to their feeble computer protection. They should give him a job if anything!

Interesting point.

Anyone out there know if there was a possibility to upload to the compromised systems?

Or, was all his access "read only"?

In my opinion it would make all the difference.

Good thing the geniuses at NASA didn't build the great wall of China....

...they would have put in a sliding glass door.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

He uploaded his program onto their system so im guessing he had full access. Plus there were blank passwords so there were no restrictions to what he could do. I find it very hard to believe that he caused $5,000 worth of damage to their computers from just looking around.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This is not right. He goes on a Natural human instinct and will get punished for the rest of his life. The US Government is in Damage control over that so they are burring(sp?) him. I very much dislike the US government.

Did you hear him? Cigaresque shape OVER our planet and nasa airbrush's it out. Are they not the same "Cigar" like UFOs that supposedly the nazi's made?
Im not meaning go down that "nazi UFO" line.

I hope the Lords save him.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This man deserves to be free, yes he broke the law but then again the law had failed all of us. All governments shouldn't lie to their citizens, if they do, who is actually committing a crime here? How do you expect us to obey the law when THEY are the one breaking it in the first place.
This man IMHO is a true truth seeker, he did what all of us dream of doing and that is trying to get to 'THE TRUTH'. At least he had the courage to do what we just dream of doing. Those who turn their back at this man should be ashamed of yourselves, you say that he should be punished to the fullest due to 'hacking', but yet ALL OF YOU are here to find the 'TRUTH?'. How are WE so different from the way he is? Simple, he got tired of reading articles, forums, where people just post FAKE, CGI, and the like to claim they have something about Aliens, and ALL WE DO is keep on reading 'garbage' posts that turns out to be FAKE for the most part.
So, do I believe this man is innocent? Yes! Despite of the 'hacking' he did!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles
To be honest he did them a favour. Imagine if he had been someone with sinister intentions? He's probably saved the government from alot of embarassment if an actual terrorist had hacked in.

I think you make a good point here Briles. I think I'm right in saying, thoughh i'm open to correction, that Mackinnon had no great interest in UFOlogy or conspiracy theory at the time of his actions. He's certainly sought solace in the conspiracy community since, with interviews on Camelot among others. It's easy to see how the world of conspiracy would be attractive to a man who has riled the authorities - and how that world would be attracted to him.

But imagine if it had been a serious ATSer or conspiracy master who had got the access Mackinnon found. It's almost a shame - an opportunity wasted.

On the other hand, he was using a narrowband connection a few years ago now - speedy computers weren't easy to come by. Now that we all have superfast PCs, the danger of being hacked is heightened, and it follows that security would increase top. Back then, both th ehardware and the users were more naive than they are now. It's easy to forget how far computing has come in the past ten years or so.

As to what he found - two things made me cynical - one that he happened to find things that were in the anecdotal public domain already, and second that he failed to keep any record of the things he saw.

LW

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

No, "victimized" by the law is grounds for dismissal from prosecution. That's how it works, and how it should work.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grafilthy
Should the US decide the fates of all individuals in the whole wide world who do a crime?

When they commit it against the United States, yeah.

Hopefully the U.S. gets its hands on this criminal.

I don't know, but I personally like the law that says that you can't break into someone's house, or hack into a computer and steal someone's data. But then again, maybe I'm different.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Can I pose the question?

Why is it that the U.S.A and NASA behave like they "are" the suferiors.

The guy wanted to find the truths, that is what he wanted.

NASA and the American government hide truths and disrespect us.
He had the tools to find out what needed to be revealed. Why is that wrong to the degree of getting life in prison.

Who is responsible for making illogical twisted laws on humanity. The guy did not kill anyone. The guy should get as much as community service and an order of apology, but that's as far as it goes.

P.S we should be on more important issues like, Proscuting the BUSH ADMISNISTRATION.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneWeasel

He sais that he simply stumbled upon this evidence of a cover-up. Of coarse there is no actual hard evidence he had even hacked into NASA computers (other than being incarcerated, his computers confiscated, etc.) Which is pretty conclusive evidence that he DID hack into NASA.
So at least in that aspect there IS proof.

This guy really had nothing to gain by coming public with his story. And as far as I can tell I have seen no logical explanation why he would lie at this point about what he saw. And, on the contrary, his personal account seems to me more evident that all of this really happened if you watch the video..

Why would he come public only to end up having to pay thousands and thousand of pounds for bodyguards? He's losing money for coming forward!!

His name is Gary McKinnon

This is an interview of Gary McKinnon conducted for Project Camelot

This one is pretty low-qualtity but good nonetheless

-ChriS

[edit on 11-8-2008 by BlasteR]

[edit on 11-8-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
While I agree he did commit a crime, extridition to a foreign country where he will be treated like a 9/11 plane hijacker is a bit stiff.

There's no reason why he can't serve some jail time in the UK. It's not like he murdered anyone, caused loss of life or suffering to anyone around him. He just had a snoop at some "secret" files.

He wasn't attempting to overthrow the West or assassinate Bush, for Christ's sake.

<< 4  5  6   >>

join