It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karaoke PC DIES!! Major CRISIS!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
So I have this "simulated Karaoke" setup, a pc, mixing board, a few mikes, amp and speakers, and on certain weekends if you listen real close while along the Shenandoah river valley, you might hear the sounds of someone (ME) singing along with my favorite tunes blasting out of the JacKatMtn basement

Well over the years I have compiled a library of over 5000 songs on the PC harddrive, and so this past weekend felt like the right time to vocally destroy some of my fave songs.....

Hit the power button on the PC and NOTHING!!!! ARRRGH!!!!

Open up the case and uh oh, the smell of burning electrical components.

I take out the PSupply, open it up and see a few exploded capacitors, so I purchase a new one thinking this would solve the problem...

NOT! no luck, so I am not going to sink anymore money into the dead PC, I must have killed it during my last assault on my musical archive

The plan is to buy a new PC to replace the one I am use for the internet, and replace the music PC with this one, the question I have is....

Can I take the old HD (with my music) and set it up as a slave, and still access the music, or will I have to open up the cd vault and RE-upload the thousands of songs?

HELP

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Aww that is terrible. I'm sorry I can't help you. I know nothing about it. It seems music is really important to you. I hope you get it fixed and get all your music back.

good luck to you.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Thanks for the well wishes

I haven't ruled out the possibility of...

SABOTAGE

I may have offended some ears in the valley over the years but I never thought it would come to this

For all I know, it just might have been and inside job to give my family some peace..

I will not be denied!!! I shall return

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Shouldn't be a problem JacK.

As long as you set the jumper to Slave, you'll be able to access the files just as if were a file cabinet.

Hope this helps.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Great news for ME!!!

Not so great for the local population

Thanks

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

You could also use one of these
www.addonics.com...

if you're not used to swapping swapping hard drives. External drive enclosures have saved my life more times than I can count, especially when trying to set up a SATA drive as a slave.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
If I were you, I would consider getting a second HDD and backing up your files on it. If you lose the drive, you lose your files, period... unless you are willing to spend possibly thousands to recover them all. Especially if your HDD is more than 3-5 years old. They are relatively cheap insurance.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Thanks for the help,

It won't be a problem to slave the HD to the new PC, I have done this a few times in the past.

I have recently purchased a 500GB external to store/back up all my files on my main pc, it wouldn't be a bad idea to back up the music on that drive as well once I get it up and running again.

Good ideas

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Just disconnect your hard drive and put it into some other computer. Anyway, if you do spend years collecting something, you better back it up :-) Blu-ray is easy and relatively fast; you can put about 60 movies in one disc. 50Gb. A few of those will propably solve your backup problems, with just a little a piece.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
You should move all the music to your new drive, in your new computer, or second drive on new computer.

To answer your question directly, you would need to show the music program where the music is-drive/folder.....EX, d drive in folder called party time.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
A power supply cookin like that is rare usually the fuse works
If you don't have a power bar with surge protection I would recommend you get one.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
A power supply cookin like that is rare usually the fuse works
If you don't have a power bar with surge protection I would recommend you get one.

This is a good "basic" protection.

To "really" be protected, one needs a "UPS"-Uninterruptible Power Source.

There are 2 basic types, hose’s that always run through the battery when needed and those that run through the battery all the time (that is the kind you want).

These units are typically rated by watts supplied over time.

As you guessed, more $$$$ gets bigger battery.

As a minimum, put computer box on it, for those with bigger units, monitor/speakers and modem can also be put on ups to be protected.

That said, it seems your power supply failed and this would probably NOT have prevented.

top topics

join