It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythbusters and RFID Propaganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I happened to be watching Mythbusters on TV the other night and all of a sudden the usually lighthearted show became chilling. The Myth to be busted was whether or not an implanted RFID chip would explode during an MRI.

But this segment felt much more like a commercial for Verichip than an experiment regarding the safety of RFID technology.

First the team go to talk to an "expert in this new and booming technology," who tells them that hundreds of people have heretofore been implanted with RFID tags to allow medical professionals to retrieve their medical history in the even of an emergency. To which the "Mythbusters" (who I don't even think deserve to be called that since they are spoonfeeding viewers pro-RFID propaganda) respond in a most positive manner.

Long story short, they implant the chip in a piece of pork to mimic a human and scan it with the MRI machine, and when nothing happens they actually implant the chip INTO ONE OF THE TEAM MEMBERS! This is where I lost all doubt that this is definitely a piece of pro-RFID propaganda BS. They just inject the chip into her amid lots of thumbs up
with as much normalcy as if she were having her teeth cleaned. I couldn't believe my eyes.

This segment of the show played like an unabashed commercial in order to show the apparent safety and usefulness of RFID chips. Then at the end the team joked about how conspiracy theorists believe RFID can be used to track people, etc.

Here's the video in question. Do watch it, it's only 5 minutes and it will definitely make you do a double take.

I wonder, is the implant still inside her or did they remove it after the experiment ended? If it was removed, it certainly wasn't mentioned. Also, they keep calling it R-fid rather than R-F-I-D, which is super annoying.

This is just a reminder to all of us to keep those eyes open, lest we be decieved.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

I too was stunned by this when I saw it aired. “Gee, implant chips are fun, safe AND effective!!!!” was the message I got. I wonder who sponsored this shameless piece of mindwash? I suppose we’ll never find out.

I, for one, now watch this show with a jaundiced eye. I wonder what other “myths” they’ll expose in upcoming episodes?
“Next, on Mythbusters…we explore the MYTH that you have inalienable rights!” or “Exposing the myth of individualism!” For shame on them

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Well I think it was weird how they plugged Verichip at the cutting edge and all that.

To me it was actually like everyone else was clueless but Grant at the end gave the conspiracy twist a bit of a plug, almost like it was somewhat against the grain.

But really this is typical Mythbuster humor, I think it is legit humor. This product though, might not be the best time to be joking about it...

It seemed like a pointless experiment (so why did they do it), most watching probably didn't even know about RFID. It wasn't very interesting, and that's what makes me think it was a plug. But as far as the show, that's how they always are. They take things that are sometimes really lame, and present them as best as can be done. Like trying to catch a boat on fire with 500 mirrors. The commentary on that show is almost hypnotic, lulling you to hang on and see if anything happens.

I love their personalities, but that doesn't mean I trust them.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Personally, I've always thought the folks at MythBusters were doing a very good job. Educating people to about urban legends and the validity of their claims.

I have always thought they did a good job of showing the utmost respect to CT and trying to explain their debunks as scientifically as possible (which is odd because they have a tendency to dumb it down enough to be really understandable)

also if you notice Torry and Grant won't get the chip...

Those two have always seemed like the CT types to me... Which would explain the delicate debunking these guys do on occasion.

go check out the JFK episode... thats a great one. (and I still think theres some kind of cover-up there
)

Coven

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Alex

Twisted, at the end it seems they sort of let themselves off the hook when mention the "Government Watch List"...

Still it's a load of crap.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Is this thread a joke?

RFID chips are absolutely brilliant and will greatly improve the world for everyone. Think of the possibilitys here

No more having to carry money cheques credit cards just scan your hand
No more kids going missing for days they can be tracked down in no time
The need for passwords will be over forever your computer will just scan you
No more keys just use your rfid to open your doors and start your car

Medical treatment as mythbusters has shown this could easily save you or a loved ones life isn't that alone the best reason

I'm sure the possible applications are limitless and will improve life for everyone in ways we can't even imagine now.

Personally I want my chip now.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamanator

Wow, is this reply a joke?

You have fun being tracked like an experimental monkey. You can have my place in line.

Seriously, why would you give up your freedom for a small bit of convenience?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The last mythbusters thing I saw on rfid was them talking about how they weren't really supposed to be talking about it.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
this video isn't the first. mythbusters is basically the government's anti-conspiracy-theory agency!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Although the usual thought is to think their trying to track people with this type of technology but for one second could we step back and look at the good this technology could do. Although I don't agree with any type of id tracker, I still think that an ID made for healthcare porposes could be extremely useful. I used to work at a nursing home and you wouldn't believe the clarity a system like this would present to the doctors and nurses in the field; most patients there have diseases that prevent them from having any sort of memory. So therefor this could be a potentially life saving process for some people, I'd say start to be alarmed when they start implanting the ID's at birth, Right now they only seem to be for more serious cases and necessities.

[edit on 16-2-2009 by TNT13]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't recall the specific episode name or contents but they did a thing on stealthy B&E type stuff, one of the mini-myths was bypassing biometric security (specifically fingerprint scanners) and they actually pulled it off however they were informed that they needed to remove some vital information that would have permitted the casual viewer to recreate their methods for faking out the scanner. There have been other instances on the show where outside influence came into play and altered the way Jamie and Adam had wanted to run an episode. Just like the rest of us they have bosses and if they want to keep their awesome jobs they have to play ball, so I can't blame them for following the company line when its their butt on the hot seat.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'll toss my 2¢ in here in regards to rfid chips and an mri.

As a welder and having gone thru a few mri's, i can tell you this. As soon as they saw my occupation(fabricator/welder), I was immediately sent to the in house ophthalmologist for a "slit scan" to be absolutely sure there were NO particles of metal in my eyes. Why? because if there were, they would have been pulled right thru my eyes by the magnetic force.

Now I also metal detect and use a very sensitive handheld metal detector called a pinpointer(used to do the final location of my target).

My dog has a verichip implanted in her back. My pinpointer has no problem showing me exactly where the chip is. So I know these chips have some metal in them(not sure what metals)

Unless these chips are constructed entirely of precious metals, I wouldn't go near an MRI machine with one.

Can anyone tell us if they are constructed of precious metals? If not, I'm calling BS on mythbusters.

TheWelder

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

You think ID theft was easy before? These chips turn ID theft into a game of fishing. This will not be the solution to our problem... only another problem which will require a greater solution.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

You think ID theft was easy before? These chips turn ID theft into a game of fishing. This will not be the solution to our problem... only another problem which will require a greater solution.

Perhaps instead of "tin-foil" hats, the next fashion craze will be tin-foil arm bands

problem solved.

TheWelder

XL5

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I don't trust the mythbusters anymore after the "lifters" and personal flying machine episodes. The lifter in the vacuum had an arc running through one of its supports that wasn't corrected, even if it doesn't work in a vacuum, things like that should be fixed (for shame Grant). Their flying machine was not geared properly and they were redlining the engine, like trying to go 100KMH in first gear, I sent them an email about that but got no reply. It would have taken off, but they knew people would make one then.

The whole RFID thing is a very bad idea, not because "they" can track you, but because it can probably be hacked easy from a distance. Unlike a bank card that would need to get physically scanned or stolen for any damage to occure, RFID's are like the locking walmart cart wheels.

www.instructables.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
... but because it can probably be hacked easy from a distance...

The MIT "kids" hacked them a few years ago from something like 70ft away. They made a video of it, where they were hacking the rfid chips in the gas station key fobs. All done with off the shelf items.

TheWelder

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I am so sick of Mythbusters & Dirty jobs.... People must like this crap a lot because that is all they play. So I have a question, wtf is wrong with you idiots??!! These shows SUCK.

Now that I got that off my chest... It is chlling, absolutely. We are indeed, very late in the game right now. With National ID Cards coming into effect Dec 31st of this year, it would seem the elite are going for broke. Alex Jones says we only have a couple hundred of days before we reach the point of no return. Hold on to your hats folks, things are going to get very interesting, very fast.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Seems it may be possible for an MRI to deactivate it.

scoll about 1/2 way down the page
source

Note that the VeriChip "Instructions for Use" contains a special section for patients undergoing an MRI. Why?
University of Minnesota researcher James Lamberg has tested the VeriChip in a 1.5 Tesla MRI machine and documented his findings in a paper posted at RFID Journal here: www.rfidjournal.com... (subscription required) and cached here. He found "that the [VeriChip] may be inactivated as a result of MR testing."

The verichip company concerns are at the bottom of the page.

TheWelder

ps. Anyone have a subscription?

*edit for post script*

[edit on 16-2-2009 by TheWelder]

new topics

top topics

join