It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Respond Untill I'm Finished Talking!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
What really chaps my hyde, is when you are having a conversation with someone and they are not even really paying attention. They prove it by responding while your in the middle of your sentence. This is so disrespectful the person is not even worth talking to.

Here is an example:

Person 1: "What was really bad wa..."
Person 2: "Oh my, That's horra..."
Person 1: "s that the car created so much damage!"
Person 2: "ble! I was in an accident before and I ended up in the Hospital!"

See what is going on. The person is not really paying attention to what you are say because they could careless. They are just looking for key words to respond to and they are not even waiting for you to complete the sentence before they are ready to talk.

This is so disrespectful that most of the time I don't even continue the conversation very much longer.

I'm not rude about it, but I just realize that this person is a self-absorbed disrespectful conversationalist.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I know an acquaintance that would accept cell phone calls mid conversation, or meal. He'd talk all the way through the meal sometimes. I found that very disrespectful, and ultimately rude.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
What really chaps my hyde.

That has to be qoute of the year. Sooo funny, o i hope your not in the middle of typing or your going to be

but on the flip side, i carnt agree more with everything you said, it really 'Chaps my hyde' too....classic. But seriously i do agree it realy anoys me, mainly because you listen to them, so why not some respect back.

Fox

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I definitely hear you on this one. Usually, I find that these people are also the dreaded "Story toppers." The entire conversation consists of them waiting for you to get through whatever it is you're saying so that they can come in and tell and even better story about the same thing.

But I have to admit, I've caught myself doing this before as well. Sometimes people have the tendency to drone on for way too long when you already know exactly where the story is going.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I definitely hear you on this one. Usually, I find that these people are also the dreaded "Story toppers." The entire conversation consists of them waiting for you to get through whatever it is you're saying so that they can come in and tell and even better story about the same thing.

But I have to admit, I've caught myself doing this before as well. Sometimes people have the tendency to drone on for way too long when you already know exactly where the story is going. But I try not to be rude when I catch myself doing it, and I usually apologize and tell them to go on.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

What really chaps my hyde, is when you are having a conversation with someone and the

I had a conversation with someone yesterday who was an army ranger.

y are not even really paying attention. They prove it by responding

Oh I know what you mean. My sister does thi

while your in the middle of your sentence. This is so disrespectful the person

s all the time. She is getting better though.

is not even worth talking to.

Oh yeah... I hate people who do this.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Herman

That is so true about a lot of people trying to be "a topper" in the conversation. I think that is the basis of why they are doing what they are doing. They are so insecure and self absorbed they just can't wait to tell their better story.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
When confronted with people like this, I often do the following:

Start talking...blah, blah etc, and I get interrupted...

I let the person finish what they wish to say....

Then continue "exactly" where I left off!

The reality of hearing me continue in mid-sentance often puts things into perspective! eg....

me: I was driving down the road to that new junction they just /

them: Yeah, it's not very well laid out is it and they've made a real mess of the sidewalk.

me: created and turned right to go to the supermarket.....

It can take a while for the penny to drop, but the thought process can cause them to consider exactly what just happened and why. And I didn't have to say anything about their rudeness!

Or you could just keep interrupting THEM to prove a point.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMysticism

I have a good friend who does this.

Part of it is, he wants to talk and isn't always interested in listening.

He's hard of hearing and it seems to be getting worse.

He does have a modern hearing aid, but quit using it.
Vanity I'm guessing, but I'd rather be seen as hard of hearing than stupid....

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I'm %100 deaf in my right ear, born without eardrum so hearing aid can't amplify what is simply not working. I'm %50 deaf in my left ear due to that over compensation of no hearing in the right.

The insecurities or lack of communication skills involved in a person not willing to listen to a person talking has nothing to do with their hearing.

I'm legally completely deaf and I make great efforts to listen and wait for the proper time to add my comment when they are finished.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by MrMysticism]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Usually when i'm interupted, I just stop talking all together.. Their loss of something interesting.

top topics

join