It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic Gardening & Burning Fossil Fuels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
As I set here on my backporch, smoking a fine hand rolled cigar, looking at my organic garden: full of tomatoes, corn, okra and squash... I ponder the following question. Am I a Zero Carbon Footprint kinda guy and is Anyone Really ? The fertilizer I used was Organic. Actually, it is the rabbit manure gathered from my daughters pet rabbit " Brownie". She eats only organic, vegan items and produces only organic, vegan manure. I composted that manure, and even vermicomposted some. So, no fossil fuels were used in the production of my fertilizer. I worked the garden, using a gasoline powered tiller, but figure since my fertilizer is organic.. it cancels out the use of the tiller. Plus the fact, I did not have to drive my 4000 pound fossil fuel burning truck to Wally World - Home of Generation X Consumers - to get it, that should be worth a few bonus points, right ? So, later when I hand pick some veggies and my wife cooks them on the electric cook stove ( a indirect fossil fuel consumer ) have I killed the Zero Carbon Footprint thing ? If, we consumed them raw - would that make GREENPEACE happy and do I really care (NO) ? Is Zero Carbon Footprint even really possible ? Well, there you have it, hash it out..... Note: Consumption of the Non-Cuban Cigar was strickly for religious & spritiual proposes.... No animals were injured or even offended by me gathering and disposing of their manure. I have not used any pesticides, so no little bugs, critters or fairies were harmed in any way... My wife says she will gladly give up the use of the cook stove, if the general public is offended by its use ... The truth is out there... So, go and find it.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I would think it is feasibly possible to have a Zero carbon footprint, but It would mean a lot of thought going into the process, it would probably be expensive at the outset, it would be a radical change of lifestyle and would take a lot of manpower hours, some serious organisation and a lot of committment.

I think probably the best solution is to minimalise your carbon footprint as much as you can. We could all do that without any real hardship if we really wanted to.

join