It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"We'll bring a gun..." -Another Example of Obama's Poor Leadership

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
I have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate.

I was referring to this.

President Bush has admitted to The Times that his gun-slinging rhetoric made the world believe that he was a “guy really anxious for war” in Iraq. He said that his aim now was to leave his successor a legacy of international diplomacy for tackling Iran.

President Bush regrets his legacy as man who wanted war

You're kidding, right? Obama saying he's going to "bring a gun" in relation to his campaign for POTUS has nothing to do with strong defense or living in a dangerous world.

In fact, Obama's language is the EXACT problem that CREATES a dangerous would. His implication is that it's ok to frame political differences in terms of a violent confrontation.

If you can't see the relation, that further shows that not only did you miss the previous article, you have a serious case of tunnel vision. You only see what you want to see.

edit to add: I see this as being similar in that the atmosphere in Washington is now a dangerous place. I think Obama's statement was to show that he is ready to "counter Republican attacks" in other words, defend himself. Does that help?

I listen to Rush Limbaugh occasionally and I've never heard him incite hatred except hatred TOWARDS him by liberals who have a melt down when he criticizes liberals. Can you provide any quotes from Limbaugh that incite hatred?

Having such a narrow viewpoint, I guess you missed this article as well.

DENVER -- Talk show host Rush Limbaugh is sparking controversy again after he made comments calling for riots in Denver during the Democratic National Convention this summer.

Rush Limbaugh Calling For Riots In Denver

You provide a great example of a typical liberal pattern. A liberal candidate is criticized for saying something incredibly inappropriate and stupid, and within a few paragraphs you blame George Bush, Republicans, and Rush Limbaugh for the liberal's idiotic comments.

What's really inexplicable is it was OBAMA who made the comment about "bringing a gun" and you want Rush Limbaugh taken off the air for inciting hatred.

Well I beg to differ. I am not a typical liberal. I consider myself Libertarian, but am supporting Obama, because he does represent change and that is exactly what we need.

Here is probably another article you missed while you are so busy creating so many anti-Obama threads. This is an example of what he is capable of.

Obama's In Control: No More Lobbyist Contributions To Democratic Party

Imagine it was actually the other way around. Imagine McCain or Limbaugh, in response to anticipating Obama's political attacks, would have said, "We'll if he brings a knife, we're going to be waiting for him with a posse and a noose." Or even if McCain would have said the EXACT thing Obama said about a gun, the liberals and Obama would be all over it demanding an apology.

The hypocrisy and rationalizations are stunning.

You can try to justify this any way you like it is no different than what both the republicans and democrats have been doing for decades. It is funny, in that book by Scot McClellin, he also blames the democrats for starting the "permanent campaign", when it was the republicans that invented it.

[edit on 6/15/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
All this nonsensical rhetoric brings out a clear mental image to me.
Monster truck attending, trailer living, holy tshirt wearing, bud swilling rednecks grasping at straws at the fear a black man will lead this country.
Hide your white women on inauguration day.
Jamie, how do you suppose 'bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran should be interpreted by McCain?
Just caught on former posts the allude to the 'bomb' song by McCain.

How can you possible say that is not revelant here. You bet your bippy it is.

[edit on 6/15/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

We stand by to hear the outraged Kieth Olbermann's tongue lashing naming Obama the worst person in the world for levelling himself as a Saturday Night Special wielding thug coming to a political campaign armed to prempt with violence. Just as Wright's congregatin all but gave him the Amen, the Obamaniacs are inspired and affirmed in their respect for his toughness. Such behavior befitting a United States Senator! aa

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
You know what i find really strange? The McCain fanatics seem to post about every latest thing that could possibly be controversial. Where are all the Obama fanatics at with there mud? Strange no?

Metaphor, violent metaphor, we are a pretty violent country and even non violent people use these metaphors just because they are common place. I fail to see why this makes him a bad leader. If choosing the wrong terminology is the sign of a bad leader then we might find ourselves hard pressed to find ourselves a good one.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

President Bush has admitted to The Times that his gun-slinging rhetoric made the world believe that he was a “guy really anxious for war” in Iraq.

You're attempting to change the subject by making a completely false comparison. This thread is about Obama, not Bush or McCain. And Bush talking about going to war with Iraq has nothing to do with Obama using the metaphor that he's going to "bring a gun" to his fight with McCain.

I see this as being similar in that the atmosphere in Washington is now a dangerous place. I think Obama's statement was to show that he is ready to "counter Republican attacks" in other words, defend himself. Does that help?

I understand the metaphor about "bringing a gun." You don't need t explain it over and over. I get it.

The point is that Obama's use of this metaphor was terrible judgment on his part.

Having such a narrow viewpoint, I guess you missed this article as well.

DENVER -- Talk show host Rush Limbaugh is sparking controversy again after he made comments calling for riots in Denver during the Democratic National Convention this summer.

baugh Calling For Riots In Denver[/url]

I see Obama supporters do this over and over. You attempt to distract from the issue about Obama by trying to make the issue about somebody else. What Limbaugh did or didn't say doesn't have a thing to do with what Obama said.

Here is probably another article you missed while you are so busy creating so many anti-Obama threads. This is an example of what he is capable of.

Again, this is just another attempt to derail the thread. This has nothing to do with the subject.

You can try to justify this any way you like it is no different than what both the republicans and democrats have been doing for decades. It is funny, in that book by Scot McClellin, he also blames the democrats for starting the "permanent campaign", when it was the republicans that invented it.

I am not trying to justify anything. I'm saying that Obama showed terrible judgment when he said "we'll bring a gun," and more importantly, this is who he really is. His whole unity spiel is nothing but a lie. He has no desire or intention for wanting unity. His only hope to getting elected is to be divisive.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
All this nonsensical rhetoric brings out a clear mental image to me.
Monster truck attending, trailer living, holy tshirt wearing, bud swilling rednecks grasping at straws at the fear a black man will lead this country.
Hide your white women on inauguration day.

Thank you!! I appreciate providing another text-book example of what many of us have been saying all along. Obama supporters just CAN'T help themselves. Their fail-safe defense of Obama is to accuse anybody critical of Obama of being a white-trash racist.

Keep up the good work! It's exactly these types of false accusations of racism, started by your fearless leader Barry O., that caused him to lose state after state by double digits in the last month or so of the primaries.

You know something? White people are getting tired of being accused of being racists, and they can see right through it when Obama tried to play the I'm-a-black-victim-of-racism role.

And he's not impressing ANYBODY with his transparently phony "We'll bring our guns" attempts to come across as tough. He's not tough. He can't fake the toughness that comes only from real life experiences that make people tough. The closet experience Obama has had to toughen him up is when they raised the price of arugula at Whole Foods.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnOldFriend I fail to see why this makes him a bad leader.

Specifically, the very night Obama decided to threaten to "bring a gun" to the battle with McCain, Washington D.C. has 8 shootings in their predominantly black neighborhoods.

Obama is claiming that he want to stop the "cycle of violence" in the cities, and yet he uses the exact "cycle of violence" type of metaphor that he's telling you he's going to stop.

Over and over the real Obama that people are starting to see is totally incongruent with the message that he claims to preach. In other words, he doesn't walk the talk.

If he's promising he's going to stop the "cycle of violence" then he shouldn't be using metaphors that promote the cycle of violence.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

Specifically, the very night Obama decided to threaten to "bring a gun" to the battle with McCain, Washington D.C. has 8 shootings in their predominantly black neighborhoods.

He did not threaten to bring a gun anywhere I am sure. Hence it being a metaphor. However he selected some poor words to through into a metaphor. I think your thinking to much into this, it was harmless i am sure. I really don't think people are going to go shooting in the streets because he said this.

Perhaps he should have made a small stick/large stick metaphor? What would you suggest he or anybody in a similar position should say?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

college law professor

Obama claims to have been a College Law Professor and this is untrue. He was a senior lecturer ON LEAVE.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnOldFriendI think your thinking to much into this, it was harmless i am sure. I really don't think people are going to go shooting in the streets because he said this.

Maybe, maybe not. I think it would be hard to Obama to reconcile his pledge to stop the "cycle of violence" and the use of this metaphor. It's a terrible example to set for black kids who look up to him. And it's the exact type of attitude that is the root of the gang violence to begin with.

Perhaps he should have made a small stick/large stick metaphor? What would you suggest he or anybody in a similar position should say?

The issue was how he was going to deal with possible attacks against him. Dealing with the attacks with the "gun" metaphor is not cool. In fact, the whole idea of this "cycle of attacks" isn't cool.

Obama was much more effective in the primaries when he stayed above the fray. He could have said, "You know McCain and the Republicans are going to do everything they can to smear me. The American people are tired of this same old type of dirty politics, and I will refuse to engage in a battle of mudslinging."

That's basically what Obama did when he was winning 11 straight primaries. He let Clinton get him off his game by making him defensive, and he still hasn't recovered.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Yes he could have said that but he was having a go at speaking in metaphors.

Do you have a metaphor that would fit a situation like this without using weapons of some sort to apply to the battle of mudslinging they are both dealing with?

Sometimes its easier to speak in metaphors rather then a long winded explanation of what is going on. I can sorta see where your coming from but I really think your making a big deal out of nothing really.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
How about:

"They hit us, we'll hit back twice as hard"

That isn't long winded. Metaphorically speaking, this is the wrong situation to be referencing Knives and Guns for.

He could of just as well said:

"They bring a Knife, and we'll cling to our Guns and Religion"

[edit on 15-6-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Still the presence of violence in that there metaphor.
Once you hit somebody with your fist or foot or any other part of your body that body part becomes a weapon. The debate here is about violence not specifically gun violence......yet.

But perhaps that might have been a better metaphor.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnOldFriend

Do you have a metaphor that would fit a situation like this without using weapons of some sort to apply to the battle of mudslinging they are both dealing with?

Sometimes its easier to speak in metaphors rather then a long winded explanation of what is going on. I can sorta see where your coming from but I really think your making a big deal out of nothing really.

No, it IS a big deal because of the epidemic of gun violence in black communities, mostly in relation to drug gangs. For Obama to encourage the image of his supporters bringing guns is really irresponsible.

As for the metaphor, how about "If they throw dirt at me with their lies, I will bury them with the truth."

See? No need to mention guns.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
No ... but your Fantasy OBAMA ... did say Bury... and that implies that he already KILLED them and now he is getting rid of the evidence!!!

When will the villainous ways of Barack Hussien Obama be dealt with???!!

It must be done... before it is too late...

What else can we grab and run to the stars with?

I bet he has even ... masterbaited?!!?!

What kid of evil leader would that be???....

Think about it!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Tell me, paid Obama Troll, what place Knives and Guns have at a debate, even metaphorically speaking? Don't you think it is a bit Harsh, really?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Just watching the news after the Lakers/Celtics game.

Lead story is about how three black teenagers were shot last night, one killed, in a driveby shooting. One of the other boys is paralyzed.

Next story is about armed robbery at 7/11 by two black teens who put a gun to the face of the clerk.

In all seriousness, it is really disgusting the Obama would even joke about bringing a gun, or using the idea of bringing a gun metaphorically, in light of the truly tragic consequences of these black kids shooting each other every day.

I'm heartbroken looking at the pictures of these kids on the news. The one paralyzed kid looks like he's about 14. The other girl is dead, and her mother is devastated and in hysterics.

No, Obama's metaphor was totally inappropriate and very offensive in light of these tragedies, and others like them, that go on every day in our inner cities.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This is true, and Obama may be setting the stage for that when he loses the election, there will be riots.

Conversely, if Obama wins on some lame technicalities that are blatently engineered to put him in office, there will be riots as well.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Rofl Jamie, someone pleae help me off the floor, my sides are split. Way to take my words and 'attempt' to go 360 with them. McCain bush and company need no help in digging their own graves. God know they have done it for a good number of others.

Bringing a knife to a gunfight is one of oldest truisms I've ever heard.
If McCain plays dirty, we'll play dirtier. Politics.

Don't worry, I don't think there will be a new fried chicken and greens day.

[edit on 6/15/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
had he said "speak softly, but carry a big stick", would that have been ok?

i mean, cmon...isnt fair after all supposed to be, well, fair?

EDIT: sorry, didnt see that AnOldFriend had already made a stick reference.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Damocles]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join