It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"We'll bring a gun..." -Another Example of Obama's Poor Leadership

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is what Obama said when talking about the upcoming campaign:

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said at a Philadelphia fundraiser Friday night. -Barack Obama

Source

Why is it that Obama talks in violent metaphors when discussing campaigning against a fellow American?

Sure, he's trying to show he's tough and he's going to stand up to attacks, but c'mon, what kind of example is that for somebody who wants to be the first black POTUS to set in the context of the inner city gang problems and shootings that are going on every day?

Just look at what's been going on in Washington D.C. Eight shootings in one night?

It's sad that Barry O. talks about bringing a gun when discussing campaigning against a fellow American, but wants to sit down and have tea with thugs like Ahmadinejad and Kim Jong-il.

To me, this specific rhetoric is way over the line and shows if nothing else Obama has terrible judgment. Of course this is just the latest in a series of examples of Obama's poor judgment and leadership. This isn't the type of example I think somebody wanting to lead the country should be setting, especially considering his position as a role model for young black's who idolize him.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Pittsburgh Tribune

Obama is anti-second ammendment rights.

He also likes to talk tough - sound street tough or something stupid like that. (remember his 'warning' about discussing his wife?
)

I've said it here before and I'll say it again - What Obama says with all his gun statements translates to - police are evil, racist, and fascist, but individuals cannot be trusted to protect themselves, either. (yes ... paraphrased from Michelle Malkin)

[edit on 6/15/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
He also likes to talk tough - sound street tough or something stupid like that. (remember his 'warning' about discussing his wife?
)

Oooh.... I know.... there's nothing quite as intimidating as a Harvard grad, college law professor munching on arugula threatening to bring a gun to a knife fight.

The problem is that Kim Jong-il and Ahmadinejad would be able to see right through his "tough talk" too.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Obama wants to look like a street thug. Well .. for THAT audience he does anyways.

His new pastor, Otis Moss III has a love affair with street thugs. He calls some of them ‘prophets’.

Obama changes accents and changes messages to fit the crowd he is pandering to. Black accents … white accents … street ‘lingo’

Jay-Z lyrics -
If you feelin’ like a pimp nigga, go and brush your shoulders off
Ladies is pimps too, go and brush your shoulders off
Niggaz is crazy baby, don’t forget that boy told you
Get, that, dirt off your shoulders

And then there’s Jay-Z’s lyrics - ‘stab the ladies, middle finger to the law’

Obama doing the shoulder brush off and the Wall Street Journal talks about it.

“Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of Jay-Z

Obama giving Hillary the finger … and yes, he knew what he was doing.

The Los Angeles Times talks about the mischievous smile he had after he did it.

He’s a Jay-Z fan But so are his 6 and 9 year old daughters. Heck of a thing to let children that age listen to those lyrics!!

[edit on 6/15/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Please tell me why this kind of talk is shocking coming from a black man?
This doesn't surprise me at all. I'm glad this idiot is showing his true colors. He's not a black man, he's an [snip]

Mod edit: removed derogatory reference.

Peace

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Dr Love]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Oh please spare me will you... I swear I sometimes think some of you are just plain retarded... he was referring to not caving in like John Kerry did to dirty Rovian smear tactics but to fight back... as he should.

At a Friday night fundraiser, Barack Obama warned supporters that Republicans "are going to try to scare people. They're going to try to say that 'that Obama is a scary guy.'" Someone in the crowd shouted, "Don't give in." Obama shot back: "If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun."

www.huffingtonpost.com...

I swear get a frickin life.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
You get a frickin'life. This man is supposed to command respect. Not talk like some street trash thug. Guns, knives, Jay Z, rap music, tough guy tactics, "ooh, I'm a scary black man, don't mess with me". Scum in my book.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
Please tell me why this kind of talk is shocking coming from a black man?
This doesn't surprise me at all. I'm glad this idiot is showing his true colors. He's not a black man, he's an [snip].

What the hell???

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Dr Love]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Obama's comment was inappropriate but his followers will never admit that he is anything less than perfect. Our society has too much violence as it is and for him to use this type of description shows how inexperienced and naive he really is.

I'm hoping that prior to the Nov. election someone finds an antidote to the love spell Obama seems to have put on some of the American public!

Jemison

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Oh please spare me will you... I swear I sometimes think some of you are just plain retarded... he was referring to not caving in like John Kerry did to dirty Rovian smear tactics but to fight back... as he should.

I already said in the OP what he was referring to. That's not the point. What he was referring TO has absolutely ZERO to do with his use of metaphors.

The issue here is whether it's good judgment and a display of quality leadership to intentionally use the "I'll bring a gun" metaphor, especially in light of his new found status as a role model in the black community, and especially considering the epidemic of shootings that are being committed in the black communities.

And it's total hypocrisy for Obama to have these issues listed on his web site:

* Address Gun Violence in Cities, more importantly,
* End the Dangerous Cycle of Youth Violence

and then use the "If you bring a knife I'll bring a gun metaphor."

Like I said, if nothing else, it's an incredibly poor display of judgment and leadership. And your explanation, that he is preemptively addressing "Rovian" attacks that exist only in his imagination right now makes this metaphor no less inappropriate.

How does he plan on ending the "cycle of youth violence" when he has a mindset of "I'll bring a gun if you bring a knife"?

Again, just another example of the gap between who Obama *REALLY* is, and who he says he is. Who Obama *REALLY* is becomes apparent every day. That's why he lost so big in middle America ever since people got a chance to see how he, and his wife, really think.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
Obama's comment was inappropriate but his followers will never admit that he is anything less than perfect. Our society has too much violence as it is and for him to use this type of description shows how inexperienced and naive he really is.

I don't think he used this comment because he's inexperienced or naive.

This comment was planned and had a purpose.

As usual, the first purpose for Obama in almost all things is to frame himself as the victim of being attacked. In this case he created the image that he was going to be attacked by "them" with a knife. What's disgraceful is that McCain and his campaign have gone to great lengths NOT to attack him personally.

It's almost to the point where I wonder if the "smears" are being leaked and promoted by the Obama campaign just so they can paint poor Barry O. as the victim over and over. They sure didn't miss any chance to portray him as the victim in the primaries with Clinton, being quick to accuse many statements that criticized him as being racist.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Oh please spare me will you... I swear I sometimes think some of you are just plain retarded...

I swear get a frickin life.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by grover]

Grover, why is it that whenever Barry O.'s faults are pointed out, you invariably try to insult the messenger? This topic isn't about me or any other ATS members, it's about Obama and his poor judgment and leadership.

Why not stick to the ATS T&C and discuss the topic instead of making personal attacks.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well I would agree that the statement was a poor choice of words, I don't think it is any indication that he would make a poor leader. I can fully understand what he means given the political atmosphere in Washington and Congress.

I am currently reading the book by Scott McClellan, "What Happened" and have found he has much more to say than what was advertised. He offers an inside look to the inner workings of the Whitehouse during his time and explains that everything is now done using what he calls the "permanent campaign" and is exactly what it describes. Scott said that this strategy, while giving them initial successes, has caused irreparable damage between parties and they now cannot cooperate to achieve anything.

I think Obama has seen this in his own experience in the Senate, and knows he is in the fight of his life to become the POTUS. He is ready, willing and able. I know I'll be in his corner. I'll be the one carrying the RPG.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
Well I would agree that the statement was a poor choice of words, I don't think it is any indication that he would make a poor leader.

I think Obama has seen this in his own experience in the Senate, and knows he is in the fight of his life to become the POTUS. He is ready, willing and able. I know I'll be in his corner. I'll be the one carrying the RPG.

Great. Obama's already transcended his own messages of "hope" and "change," and that "there are no red states or blue states, just the United States" into inspiring his followers to take up arms in a metaphorical war against his opponents.

And you are wrong on two counts regarding whether or not this is "any indication that he would make a poor leader."

First, he already is a leader and a role model, especially for blacks. Using the threat of bringing a gun is terrible leadership RIGHT NOW. And second, yes, this is an indication of his leadership skills, or lack thereof.

I honestly can't remember in my lifetime any candidate for POTUS use this type of violent imagery in framing his campaign against his fellow Americans. I honestly wonder if Obama isn't trying to intentionally invoke parallels to the Civil War.

At least be honest. Obama does not stand for unifying the country. That's just campaign rhetoric. Obama's on a mission to divide the country along race and class lines. THAT is his only chance to get elected and he knows it.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

So how did you feel about George Bush's threatening rhetoric that he now wishes he didn't use? This is just an indicator of the atmosphere that is in Washington, and I agree, I wish it was not like that, but it is.

You know it's amazing. I am not pointing this directly at you, because I don't know if you are a republican. The republicans are the ones that usually support a strong defense... Why? Because we live in a dangerous world. How is this any different than that?

And yes, I agree, that this country is divided and it is probably due to following the example of our leaders. The only way to change that is to fight until you win, then you are able make the needed changes. I for one would immediately force those like Rush Limbaugh off the air who incite hatred on our air waves. The media is also at fault for this condition.

Edit to add: This is why I support Barak Obama, because he knows first hand that this country is divided, and I know if he is elected he will do what he can to change that. With John McCain, he will not be "allowed" to make these changes, and we will only continue with this madness.

[edit on 6/15/2008 by Hal9000]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

So how did you feel about George Bush's threatening rhetoric that he now wishes he didn't use? This is just an indicator of the atmosphere that is in Washington, and I agree, I wish it was not like that, but it is.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate.

You know it's amazing. I am not pointing this directly at you, because I don't know if you are a republican. The republicans are the ones that usually support a strong defense... Why? Because we live in a dangerous world. How is this any different than that?

You're kidding, right? Obama saying he's going to "bring a gun" in relation to his campaign for POTUS has nothing to do with strong defense or living in a dangerous world.

In fact, Obama's language is the EXACT problem that CREATES a dangerous would. His implication is that it's ok to frame political differences in terms of a violent confrontation.

I for one would immediately force those like Rush Limbaugh off the air who incite hatred on our air waves. The media is also at fault for this condition.

I listen to Rush Limbaugh occasionally and I've never heard him incite hatred except hatred TOWARDS him by liberals who have a melt down when he criticizes liberals. Can you provide any quotes from Limbaugh that incite hatred?

You provide a great example of a typical liberal pattern. A liberal candidate is criticized for saying something incredibly inappropriate and stupid, and within a few paragraphs you blame George Bush, Republicans, and Rush Limbaugh for the liberal's idiotic comments.

What's really inexplicable is it was OBAMA who made the comment about "bringing a gun" and you want Rush Limbaugh taken off the air for inciting hatred.

Imagine it was actually the other way around. Imagine McCain or Limbaugh, in response to anticipating Obama's political attacks, would have said, "We'll if he brings a knife, we're going to be waiting for him with a posse and a noose." Or even if McCain would have said the EXACT thing Obama said about a gun, the liberals and Obama would be all over it demanding an apology.

The hypocrisy and rationalizations are stunning.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Just when you thought the "outrage" against Barack Obama could not get any more ANALLY RETENTIVE...

Uhmmm Mic Check... Have you heard the crap the Crypt Keeper has been saying???

BOMB BOMB BOMB IRAN.. (which this nation cannot afford to do)

Occupy Iraq for a 100 years!! or a Thousand!!? and as such it is not importaint as to when the troops come home..

But anyway...

What Barrack is saying is very very simple...

If McCain keeps using knives... Obama is going to use a gun,...How does that fail to make sense to you people???

Why is that so outrageous to even mention it?

How is that tough guy talk making you die-hards all queezy all of a sudden...

Oh I know... if Barrack barrack was totally white and said...

"Don't bring a knife to a gun fight... Get R Done!"

You would laugh yourselves into delirium, wiping tears from your eyes saying...
"Its so funny cuz it soo truue!"

Its sad to say but you guys for all you don't know about his Magnificent Excellency Barrack Hussien Obama may peace be upon him,...You all know even less about John McCain.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
You get a frickin'life. This man is supposed to command respect. Not talk like some street trash thug. Guns, knives, Jay Z, rap music, tough guy tactics, "ooh, I'm a scary black man, don't mess with me". Scum in my book.

Wow...

Well at least you admit your racism.. which is more then I can say for alot of Dems and Repigs...

Not that racism is admirable.. because its patheticly stupid..

But covering up the fact that you is even more so.

Anyway he basically said .. "Bring a Knife to a Gun fight HA HONKEY FOOL!"

Well at least to your ears...

You also need to know that for as BLACK as Obama is .. he is just as white.

He really hates himself I guess..

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavageHenry

BOMB BOMB BOMB IRAN.. (which this nation cannot afford to do)

Occupy Iraq for a 100 years!! or a Thousand!!? and as such it is not importaint as to when the troops come home..

Of course, you are completely wrong on this. Comparing McCain's rhetoric re Iran to Obama's rhetoric about "bringing a gun" to a Presidential campaign is completely off base. There is no comparison.

If McCain keeps using knives... Obama is going to use a gun,...How does that fail to make sense to you people???

Why is that so outrageous to even mention it?

For starters, you seem to be easily manipulated by the constant use of presuppositions in Obama's languaging. McCain hasn't used any knives. See? Obama created a false dichotomy right in front of your eyes to manipulate you with. Even worse, he created a false presupposition to play his false dichotomy against. It apparently worked.

1. McCain brings knives: FALSE PRESUPPOSITION

2. False Dichotomy: Either bring a gun to battle McCain's knives or be killed by McCain. FALSE DICHOTOMY

Second, for a candidate who's campaigning on ending the cycle of violence in inner city neighborhoods, it's moronic to turn around and say, "Well if he brings a knife, I'll bring a gun." See the incongruence there?

Its sad to say but you guys for all you don't know about his Magnificent Excellency Barrack Hussien Obama may peace be upon him,...You all know even less about John McCain.

Be careful not to spill the Kool-Aid on your keyboard. This thread isn't about John McCain. It's about Obama's incredibly idiotic comment and his total lack of leadership. If you want to enlighten us on McCain feel free to start another thread.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
No and Wrong...

Its amazing how much you cannot comprehend...

All I am trying to figure out if it is willful or not.

This is an insight into his leadership???...

It is a FIGURE of #ING SPEECH!!!

FFS.. you gotta be kidding.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join