It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even on Fathers' Day, Media Find a Way to Bash Men

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by phl0gist0n

Look at the plot lines more closely.

I agree that in the earlier shows it was Lucy that often was the victim of her own machinations. But do you remember Fred? And in the later shows, there is no doubt Fred and Ricky were always on the short end of the stick. Lucy and Ethel were just too crafty for those two old dolts.

Think also of other shows:

The Beverly Hillbillies, The Dick Van Dyke Show, Green Acres, The Patty Duke Show... Men ALWAYS lost to the will of the women.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by loam]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

From one father to another, thanks for being a real father and dad to your children. Have a fun and safe Father's Day.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I'll just bring up the point having talked to a lady who studied marketing and media.

The reason she gave me as to why males in the media are portrayed as incompetent and stupid is down to one thing - money.

The housewife in any household is often the one who holds the pursestrings and therefore targetting commercials which portray the female protaganist as being empowered and superior to all those around her, including hubby, are therefore going to hit all the right notes and get the product sold.

So as usual, it's about the money. I see no overarching attack on males in society. Happy Father's Day to all!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Well I was thinking of the reason I don't listen to my woman .. and I think the poster on Live Science put it best:

Akhi99 wrote:

It's Passive Agressive Action.
Since most women do not listen to men and expect that matriarchy is the accepted form of home rule, the men choose passive means of reistance.
His traditional work around the home has been discounted, ignored and ridiculed and he has been forced to contribute to her traditonal task around the home rather than her helping in his traditonal tasks.

Everything that man once was has been broken down, the entire notion to be a man has been destroyed. They would rather feminize us, forgo our past roles and accept this awkward metrosexual role.. little different then a woman might I add.

No offense to the ladies, but I cut the gras, paint, fix, build, improve and landscape. I do NOT wash dishes, run the vacuum, dust, do laundry (my woman tried and tried to get me to do my own laundry. That ended. I just didn't wash my clothes and eventually she was so mortified to be associated with me she does them now.) Sometimes I will cook... on a grill! but that aint my role so don't expect that every night.

Of course now I will be seen as a piggish man dragging my knuckles on the ground. I am a man, I will do the mens jobs around the home, the woman will do the womens jobs.

This society has a problem with the male image, male father figures and male status's in relationships.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Well I was thinking of the reason I don't listen to my woman .. and I think the poster on Live Science put it best:

Yes that poster puts my own views quite well. Women do not like being told what to do and yet they get annoyed men dontt do what they're told. Love the hypocrisy. Most of my friends are women, i have a clear view on how their minds work as a whole.

Originally posted by Rockpuck
No offense to the ladies, but I cut the gras, paint, fix, build, improve and landscape. I do NOT wash dishes, run the vacuum, dust, do laundry (my woman tried and tried to get me to do my own laundry. That ended. I just didn't wash my clothes and eventually she was so mortified to be associated with me she does them now.) Sometimes I will cook... on a grill! but that aint my role so don't expect that every night.

That's a difficult one, i myself love to cook and i don't really have a problem cleaning. However i still did all the traditional male roles, DIY, fixing things, even hunting. All of these are fun things in my view and if someone doesn't like it then up to them.

However the idea of traditional manly jobs and womanly jobs is a silly one. Are you also asking women to be subservient to their husbands/partners? Equality is the important thing, both partners should be prepared to do the jobs of each other if they're requested to do them. Whether it's cleaning, dishes or something else.

I will admit that male identity for lack of a better term has been hurt and a lot of men are unclear where they stand. Maybe that's the reason for so much trouble currently, at least in part anyway. Be yourself is the best advice that can be said.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I think a good man is wonderful to have around and i will cook, clean, do laundry, keep myself looking good for a good man. (wait, before you stone me to death).... What is a good man?

One that works
One that calls for no reason in the middle of the day to see how you are.
One that you can have complete connection with and very open and honest communication.
One who is loving and shows affection
One who shares your values about family and things in general
One who puts me first then his needs.

Now, i think men in general are wonderful beings, and i think each man pocesses what i like, only they dont pocess all of them together.
But that would be Hollywood, wouldnt it?

Is there the perfect man out there? I dont think so
Could i love a man with shortcomings? Yes i could. I havent reached perfection myself
and life is not a fairy tale.

I think generally, men are wonderful, and they all have something to offer and have good sentiments.

Now, if we just combine all the goodness and put it all together, then that would be something!!!!!

Tha same applies for women.

Its not a perfect world.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
One who puts me first then his needs.

Firstly i love you dgtempe, marry me! Ok maybe not, you can probably do better

However this last bit interested me, does that mean you'll put his needs ahead of yours as well? Or should it be all about you? Seems a common attitude of women in general, their needs come first. Yet they don't like it the other way around.

Still the marriage proposal is there

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I accept.

I meant both should. Not just one way. Ididnt get the message thru right.

Happy Fathers Day to all of you!!!!!!!!!! (who are fathers)

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Erm, err, i'm an illegal immigrant, i'm underage, i havn't seen south america yet, i've suddenly discovered i'm gay. Ok which of these will get me out of the marriage proposal? Sorry i think it's antiquated i should have thought it through

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Loving fathers:

Andy Taylor, Jason Seaver, Mike Brady, James Evans Sr, Danny Tanner, Carl Winslow, Steve Keaton, Paul Buchman, Howard Cunningham, the guys from My Two Dads, Philip Banks!! Uncle Phil was pretty much my surrogate father.

I'd also include Tony Soprano with this, but that's strictly opinion. The others are good reflections however of the opposite to the phenomena you're all describing. It is in no way limited to men. Women, children, southerners, northerners, east coasters, west coasters, white people, black people, asian people, middle eastern people, gay people, tell people, short people, ugly people, pretty people, every sort of people has a very defined, one dimensional presence in pop culture.

The goal is not to discredit one, but rather, create doubt about them all. Failed attempt to escape the 1950's or cruel hand guiding us towards a darker end? That's the question I'd like answered.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Wow, dgtempe, your post made my jaw drop. That's a rare thing for me to be that pleasantly surprised, so I must say thank you. Your husband is a lucky man, indeed. If you aren't married then there's a man out there who doesn't know how lucky he will be.

It's true that all the media shows us is how women basically "tolerate" us men on a daily basis, even the ones who are like the ones dgtempe described, the husbands who treat their wives as equals. So this is what I'm accustomed to hearing, seeing and reading - how much better of a person my wife is than I am. Of course I don't need the media for me to know that.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by sos37]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by joecamel
The goal is not to discredit one, but rather, create doubt about them all. Failed attempt to escape the 1950's or cruel hand guiding us towards a darker end? That's the question I'd like answered.

Well i think comedy should have the right to make fun of everyone. As the old saying goes "Either it's all ok or none of it is". I wish people wouldn't get so squemish over comedy.

I don't think there is a conspiracy regarding protraying men as dim-witted simpletons on tv. I think though that men have been degraded in soceity to make us seem useless. Womens magazines are a good example, the next time you're at a dentist or something try picking one up. Eye opener i promise yoo.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I have noticed this also for many many years
goes way back....the Honeymooners
the flintstones.......

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Women are the fairer sex but its funny if those articles are written by men themselves !

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

...then there are men's magazines. They promote the same misogynistic expectations that created the serious need for a militant liberation movement on the behalf of women's rights in the first place. Countless articles (and films) "humorously" (and sometimes with chilling earnestness) portray women and wives as shrill, nagging, nitpicky, jealous, dishonest, coldhearted, untrustworthy, materialistic, self absorbed. They poke fun at vulnerability to the point that it's become a SERIOUS social misconception that "women are emotion, and men aren't." A comment you made, earlier, actually...

However this last bit interested me, does that mean you'll put his needs ahead of yours as well? Or should it be all about you? Seems a common attitude of women in general, their needs come first. Yet they don't like it the other way around.

While unoffensive, without harm, in every way meant with good nature and genuine respect, it was a sexist assumption you make, guided by culture, because the few you've known may have displayed similar tendencies.

They grow up watching the same crap you did, though, so cut 'em some slack!!

By the same token, my hypothetical men's magazine contains dirty guys in turbans posing with camels, asian fellows with highwaters and pocket protectors (their women in bikinis or school outfits however!), african americans alternately referenced with reverence and fear.

I'm not trying to argue with anything that's been said. Just merely suggest that it's pervasive for everyone, and men are one of many persecuted by the unfair portrayals our culture has most likely inadvertently rigged. I'm pretty psyched to see so many people dissecting what's being beamed into our heads though. I don't think we're as bad off as people are claiming.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

While unoffensive, without harm, in every way meant with good nature and genuine respect, it was a sexist assumption you make, guided by culture, because the few you've known may have displayed similar tendencies.

They grow up watching the same crap you did, though, so cut 'em some slack!!

It's not a few i've met. In my life i have pretty much alwys had female friends, i get on with them better for some reason, and i have to say that most are like it and lots of them know and agree that they're like it lol. It wasn't an assumption, it's what i've seen, assumption is based on no knowledge or a very limited kind.

By the same token, my hypothetical men's magazine contains dirty guys in turbans posing with camels, asian fellows with highwaters and pocket protectors (their women in bikinis or school outfits however!), african americans alternately referenced with reverence and fear.

My womans magazine comment wasn't hypothetical though, it was based on ones i have picked up and read when bored at the dentist or doctor.

I'm not trying to argue with anything that's been said. Just merely suggest that it's pervasive for everyone, and men are one of many persecuted by the unfair portrayals our culture has most likely inadvertently rigged. I'm pretty psyched to see so many people dissecting what's being beamed into our heads though. I don't think we're as bad off as people are claiming.

No i don't think we're as bad as people are claiming but women are getting worse in my view. Materialistic gain drives women even more than men i think. Men see it as a success thing women only want those men who've gained lots of material worth. It goes back to the old evolutionary drive of wanting someone who can provide for their children i suppose but i still find it a worrying trend.

I'm sorry i sounded so cynical of women, i love women as i said nearly all my friends are women! However it does give me some informed insight i think.

At the same time men are getting lost, unable to discern what their role should be. In my time i've been called a chauvanistic pig for holding a door open for a woman, and another time called an insensitive tosser for not holding a door open. You can't win

[edit on 15-6-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

This thread full of sensitive men just brings a tear to me eye. I figure there's only 2 genders. One way or another, if you're gonna be this sensitive, either a man or a woman is going to be offended.

And btw, I love how the OP used Family Guy as a reference for media bias towards men. It's Family Guy!!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Reading through this thread, I didn't notice anyone mention Married... With Children. Both Al and Peggy are incredibly irresponsible and seemingly horrible parents. When you look more closely, they love their family and each other deep down. It takes jabs at both sexes and every other category of people. Everyone got their turn to be poked fun of and to laugh.

The way I watch it, I feel like women get made fun of more, though I know with Al as the main character, men are constantly lampooned. Do the ladies here see MWC as making fun of men more than women? If so, it would be great to find that such a show is the opposite of traditional media - usually we'll think "this makes fun of [insert your own sex/ race/ sexual orientation/ religion] too much!" and be offended.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
And btw, I love how the OP used Family Guy as a reference for media bias towards men. It's Family Guy!!

First, I didn't reference "Family Guy." The article I cited, referenced an article titled, "Family Guy: Today's Father Can't Win."

Second, you should have clicked the link because the article has nothing at all to do with "Family Guy," the animated television situation comedy.

Many fathers these days are well acquainted with carpooling kids to after-school sports, changing diapers and other stereotypically “mom” duties. But the do-it-all dad is not happy with his performance, and he lags behind mom and even the household pet in terms of closeness to the kids. He's lucky if he even gets a card on Father's Day, statistics show.

For respect, the modern family guy has to turn to his wife.

A recent survey finds that while it’s tougher being a dad today than it was a generation ago, most moms give them gold stars for their domestic work.

www.livescience.com...

[edit on 2008/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Hiyah Grady!

Great thread and nice point! Men have been being bashed and portrayed as idiots, incompetents and all around boobs for years now and it seems to be getting worse, I'm amazed more men aren't hacked off about it, or perhaps they haven't noticed how pervasive it is...

And by the way, the picture of Trump on your avatar is getting you a star

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join