It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fake weapon design help.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Ok, so i'm not sure if this forum is the right place to post this.

So my problem that i'm having right now is that for a convention coming up in a few months i have a costume i want to make that would be really fun and easy to make. . . or so i thought.
See the costume's main point is the weapon

as you can see the weapon is quite large and has a very odd shape.
my problem is i just don't have the slightest clue what kind of material i couldus to make it that would be lightweight enough for me to hold it for many hours, yet not too fragile to the point i can't swing it around a little.

anyone have any idea's?
help is greatly appreciated

-the king

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by adamiskthespacepirateking

wow Ryuumon Hoozukimaru, that will be hard, i suggest paper mache, good choice, but i think this one would be harder to make though lol

i17.photobucket.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Honestly, if you know how to work with fiberglass, that would be the ideal way to go, and would only cost you about $30 or so.

Other than that, you may look into polystyrene (Styrofoam). The thing is that you have to coat it with a plastic when you get the final shape, or it will break the very first time someone else draws their sword on you. There are spraycan plasticizers, but you'll have to order them which would probably take too long.

I would suggest visiting your local art & craft store and asking them... just don't let them talk you into anything cheap like cardboard. Lol... if you were in Cheyenne, I'd just help ya make one... there's hundreds of products you could use.

EDIT: Just thought about it... use the foam for a base material, then use the above mentioned paper mache. The main problem you will have is the mache buckling from not adhering to the foam, though... so you may look at something paper-based that you can use for the main shape. When you get done with the mache, get a high-build primer and use many coats, then sand it smooth... as close to exposing edges of the paper as possible without actually going INTO the paper. Then you can spray one more coat to check for smoothness, and then continue with the colors you choose. The primer will ensure that your paint doesn't chip everytime you clash weapons with anotehr... and steel colored spray paint just looks awesome when it's done right... once it's dry, spray on some black and wipe it off really fast to give it an aged and battlescarred look!

GL!

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Earthscum]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
thanks for the idea's earthscum and i've already started working on one of the blades. but now comes another hard part, or well annoying part anyway. the chains =/ i've looked around and i just can't find anything to make them out of. but i'm new to the wholke thing so i don't have many idea's to begin with.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by adamiskthespacepirateking

simple, go to your nearest mall and buy plastic chains, thats all you need

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Yep, exactly what outrider said
If you can't find them there, try hardware stores... they usually have them as well... home&garden shops are also a good place to check.

You can use the same paint trick to 'dress them up'... it doesn't work too well on the yellow chain, though.... I wouldn't bother with that stuff. Most the time you can find chains that are already made to look realistic.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
alright thanks guys! i'll look into all this. and i might post pics of it when i'm done! =P

-the king

top topics

join