It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The loss of rights for others is the loss of our own rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The Supreme Court has just overturned the 2006 military commissions act which allowed "unlawful enemy combatants" to be tried by a military commission, as being unconstitutional. Already the decision is receiving criticism. Both Republican senators Graham and McCain have both criticized the decision. Graham has even gone so far as saying that he would support a constitutional amendment. McCain has criticized it has being one of the worst decisions ever.

What is most surprising is that there seems to be a growing movement of citizens supporting this type of rhetoric. I hope people realize that if we set a precedent of trying individuals by a military commission we are setting a new precedent that could result in any of us being tried by a military commission.

McCain: Guantanamo Decision one of the worst ever

Graham Constitution is "irresponsible and outrageous"

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Did you fail to notice that the individuals held at Gitmo are illegal enemy combatants?

Did you fail to realize that those who have been released from Gitmo have been recaptured on the battlefield killing Americans?

The most charitable thing you can say about these guys is that they are prisoners of war, but they aren't really prisoners of war, since they are illegal combatants.

Releasing combatants to kill again is not a good idea.

Affording them the same rights as American citizens is not a good idea.

Leaving their fate in the hands of the American judiciary is not a good idea.

This is unprecedented in the history of warfare and it will come back to bite us on the butt.

Between the Taliban in Afghanistan and the Supreme Court, we can expect an endless supply of illegal combatants in a never ending revolving door.

Our enemies must be jubilant.

[edit on 2008/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Where is your data? These statements are the rhetoric I'm referring too. They are statements made that never refer back to any kind of data. I can state that Japan is under attack by Godzilla but without data is it credible?

None the less, they have been accused of being "illegal enemy combatants. They have not been granted the protection of habeas corpus. I don't understand what the "danger" is by allowing all people the right of a trial by jury. If convicted fine but to accuse someone of a crime and to not even accept the burden of proof stands against American Idealism.

Have we learned not from history? Have we not seen what happens when a nation treats it's accused as guilty without accepting the burden of proof. Let's stop living in fear of an unseen enemy and not accept the idea that the bill of rights is dangerous.

The 2006 military commisions act can be used on American Citizens. It is a danger to our civil liberties. I am proud of the supreme court for honoring the legacy of those that risked and gave there lives in order to create it.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by harvib]

new topics

join