It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec Man Acquitted in Police Officer Slaying During 'Botched Home Raid'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Quebec Man Acquitted in Police Officer Slaying During 'Botched Home Raid'

www.cbc.ca

A jury in Quebec has acquitted a man of first-degree murder in the deadly shooting of a Laval police officer who raided his home last year.

Basil Parasiris and his wife Penny Gounis leave the Longueuil courthouse after he was acquitted of murdering Const. Daniel Tessier. (Radio-Canada)Basil Parasiris was acquitted on Friday by a 12-person jury at the Longueuil courthouse, on Montreal's South Shore.

He was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Const. Daniel Tessier, who died after being shot three times last spring after he entered Parasiris's Brossard home with a battering ram during a botched drug raid.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I was wondering when I was going to see something like this happen. Only I thought it would be in the states, with all of the continual police-state nonsense that is constantly happening, and reports of botched raids and intimidation on the wrong houses, etc...

I don't care WHO the department is, if you are going to kick down somebodies door and trash their house in the middle of the night--You better make sure your tips and info is ONE-HUNDRED percent correct, because otherwise the potential for something like this is growing. People, specifically those not doing anything wrong, have every right to protect their home and family from strong-arm tactics. I'm not happy that someone had to lose their life here, but perhaps it will help improve the intelligence accuracy and make these guys less gung-ho in the future for just haphazardly smashing into a person's home.

The verdict means the jury believed Parasiris's self-defence argument was enough to raise a reasonable doubt about the charges.

The father of two insisted he believed his family was being attacked by home invaders when a police team swarmed their house on March 2, 2007.

Believing the invaders were going to harm him, his wife and his children, Parasiris testified he had no choice but to shoot.

It was only after Tessier was lying on the ground that Parasiris realized he was an officer, he told the court.

www.cbc.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

If this was in the States, they would have come up with some bull# charges to stick on him. There was actually a case not too long ago, where a guy was sleeping in his bed and was shot by the police. He pulled out a fake gun, not knowing that it was the police that broke into his house. The wrong house it turned out. But he's up on a bunch of felonies anyway.

I'll come back with a link if I find it.

S&F

Here it is...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT to add link.

[edit on 6/14/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The problem with all this is that the vast majority of home owners are never going to get a chance to shoot back ( middle of the night and well trained paramilitary types ) and will be shot for making fast 'suspicious' movements and most certainly for having a kind of any type in their hands. The fact that the Swat guys normally use automatic/assault weapons means said homeowner is very likely dead while the Swat guy probably at worse losses a arm or a leg.

Stellar

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is why a jury of peers is so important. These citizens were able to put themselves in the shoes of this father and understand that he was only trying to protect his family. A more state-centric system would probably have this man in prison for the rest of his life over a state mistake.

I’m surprised that they went for murder instead of some lesser offense like manslaughter or whatever the CA equivalent is. They might have gotten into the jury’s heads with that.

I'm glad to see that there's still some justice to be had somewhere.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
you guys are unreal. the guy has illegal firearms, drugs were seized and the guy is a repeat # head in the criminal justice system. The police didn't go "gung ho" and blast through the door, they applied for a search warrant which a judge reviewed, believed was necessary and signed.

What's a better solution? maybe we could call the drug dealer on their phone and say..could you please report to the police station and give us your drugs and guns?...if they did that there wouldn't be a need for warrants now would there.

As far as protecting his family, ask yourself what kind of guy keeps illegal loaded firearms and drugs in the same home that his kids live in?? sounds like a real family man.
I"m surprised most cops don't just say # it and park their cars cz of the support people like you always tend to give the bad guy.

top topics

join