It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ape Learns to Talk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
A chimp who has grown up among humans may have developed the ability to talk, claims a research team from the US.
The findings, published in New Scientist magazine, may come under fire from other scientists.

But they may further challenge the long-held belief that apes have no language ability.

Full Story: news.bbc.co.uk...

New Scientist Story:Click Here

[Edited on 1-2-2003 by William One Sac]

posted on Jan, 3 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
How long before they become telemarketers...?

posted on Jan, 3 2003 @ 03:24 AM
link   
That's my worst nightmare ! Planet of the Apes !

posted on Jan, 3 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
First off, I must say that Byrd's line is very funny....LOL

But on a serious tip: There was a documentary done a couple of years ago about a female gorilla named "Coco" who does the same thing.

She used an electronic keyboard with symbols that corresponded to things in her environment and a speaker would audibly generate the words.

There were some funny bits too, like when Coco was shown a video-tape of some male gorillas in hopes of her choosing a potential mate. Coco shrugged her shoulders and said something like, "I don't like him" about one male and then said, "Coco loves" about a different male.

I suppose anyone who's had a pet has been amazed at how intelligent and intuitive they can be. I wonder if mankind isn't the slow one to assume that animals are so "dumb".

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." Confucius

Cheers now,
Deep

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ultra_phoenix

Almost 9 years later, the "Planet of the Apes" nightmare remains only on the screens...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Mod note: one liner, please review appropriate forum

On a serious note you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
There was a movie called "Congo" a few years back that was pretty bad but it had a pretty cool idea. The ape learned sign language and wore a glove that interpreted the signs and "spoke" the words electronically.

Has anyone tried this in real life? With all of the advances in motion sensing I bet it could be done without even a glove. Even could be life changing for deaf people as they wouldn't require an interpreter to make themselves understood.

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It grew up with humans?

That animal is going to go crazy sooner or later.

Its gonna go wild and start attacking everybody.

Remember the last victim...

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
William,
I am sure you are looking down on ATS from your Canopy in the heavens. It is good to see one of your old threads as you live on through ATS both in words and also in members/friends Hearts.

One of my fav topics, cant believe never saw this thread before.

To Add some Threads that link to this in subject

Humans Closest and Sex Mad Relative Under Threat of Extinction

And even though not Monkeys Dolphins have advanced language to:

Dolphin speech similar to human language

There is an amazing Documentary on this, and even shows maybe Chimpanzees are starting to "speak" in the traditional sense, learning to start to form the actual words, albeit very very early attempts at this.

What is interesting is that they seem to be doing this naturally by observing and listening, without like sign being trained! rather than sign like Washoe (the first signing chimp)

CHIMPANA TO CHIMPANZEE

Love to Williams family and friends.

Kind Regards,

Elf
edit on 28-11-2011 by MischeviousElf because: Link

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
If animals start to really talk, I may begin to feel guilty about killing and eating them.
But, thank God we're only talking about apes. lol

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I long for the days when I can look up at some ruined statue and do my best Heston impression...

(Thanks for the necro'ing on this thread BTW. I'd never seen it and found it quite interesting)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
talk? well sortive the ape is making sounds that mean the same as words but are not accutly words .
A dog can do that and cats are really good at making sounds taht mean things in english .
a meow that means i want out one taht means i want food and so on this ape grunts in ways that relate to real worlds things well gess what they do in teh woild as well they have sounds they use taht mean danger and even what kind of danger big deal .
Untill a ape comes up to me and says DIE human Im not worryed

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Popular folklore has it that at Midnight of Christmas Eve.... all the Animals Talk...

just as all the animals in the stable talked & worshiped the Christ child in the manger, born that that 1st Christmas

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Ive never heard that before St Udio,

Thanks very much a bit of folklore research for me.

Kind Regards,

Elf

top topics

join