It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Democratic Files Illegally Obtained

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
WASHINGTON - A source familiar with the investigation into a capital hill computer intrusion by two Republican staffers has revealed that about 4,700 computer files of Democratic colleagues were illegally obtained. The source, who asked not to be identified, reported to Reuters that members of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee received a written report on the probe, but action will be put off for maybe more than a week.

Reuters.com The computer files were improperly accessed between 2001 and 2003, the source said, and dealt largely with President Bush's embattled judicial nominees. Related News: Senators Review Judiciary Memo Report Senate completes probe of memo leaks

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I wonder if this will become a big deal or just another "push" like the Senate Intelligence memo theft.

Anyone that complains will be targeted by the contents of the memos, and it will die since everyone has to capitulate to some extent in the debate.

I wish the dems had a good "plumbers unit."
But I'm afraid they'd get burned if they tried this crap.

Why don't the Republicans get burned? I sincerely don't understand why this is tolerated by people in their own party. I'd be embarrassed.

So action to follow in one week? Off with their heads! Right.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'd bet nothing will come of this! There was no hacking, no 'instrusions' - nothing to see here

as I have heard: "No Republican stole any memos or hacked into any computers � as it turns out, they were available to anyone who logged into the committee's system"

If anything should be investigated, it should be the democrats and the content of the memos.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Old news. This came out several weeks ago.

And whether or not they "hacked" into the files depends on your definition of "hacked." In the sense of password cracking, no, they didn't. What they DID do was illegally access a computer through the network which they had no right to be in. And whether or not things were secured as they should be, that is still illegal.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
How did they illegally access the computers? What was illegal about it? They were political memos, not a 'government document' with any official purpose, nothing classified.

Who has worked in a networked enviroment, able to see other computers/servers/resources through the 'network neighborhood' icon on your desktop? That's basically what he did. He clicked a share on a server and found these memos, unprotected, in plain sight. heck, he could have been searching for something and brought up the memo. Almost like someone putting a classified memo on the internet, it comes up in a search engine for anyone to see, and the viewer is to be held liable??

Snooping? Sure. Bad taste? Yes. Illegal? No.

This is a cover-up. It's covering up a) poor computing security within our government's highest offices b) the corruption in judicial appointment politics (by both sides).

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by Bob88]

top topics

join