It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The BIGGEST change to our world to come. NANOTECHNOLOGY. The Good, The bad and The Ugly.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Nanotechnology might change our world in the biggest way, possibly in our lifetime.

I find it odd that we have a lot of discussions about world changing events like oil etc. But not much on nanotechnology.

The theories of nanotechnology are AMAZING.

I think it would be great to talk about this and other new technologies, and become "aware" of them, because new technology will change the world as we know it!

I would like to begin the discussion by sharing my opinions on Nanotechnology.
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

The Good

It is said that Nanotechnology will greatly benefit humanity! In medical areas, computer technology and so on.

I will show you some of the benefits of Nanotechnology, be prepared to be AMAZED.

Computer technology
The theory is:
" A nanofactory is a proposed system in which nanomachines (resembling molecular assemblers, or industrial robot arms) would combine molecules to build larger atomically precise parts. These, in turn, would be assembled by positioning mechanisms of assorted sizes to build macroscopic (visible) but still atomically-precise products.

A functioning nanofactory could create virtually any product at the cost of only the input raw material and energy."

So working from a molecule level can really benefit computers.

They say with this design computers can get up to a BILLION times faster than todays computers. Now as a 3D Artist, that exites me a lot, rendering time will be instant lol. Also be prepared for new standard in entertainment, VIRTUAL REALITY similar to the matrix
Imagine, with this technology they can truly create a virtual reality, where they can recreate touch, smell, etc.

Watch this great video to get the full idea of how the computer would work.
www.youtube.com...

Medical miracles!

This will be the greatest thing to come to medicene EVER.

Because nanotechnology can work at a molecule level, they can design nanos to do what they want, once inside the body they will get to work.

Benefits from this are almost UNLIMITED. From curing cancer to living forever young.

Watch this for a little info.
www.youtube.com...

Unlimited new inventions for all things.

Not to be specific, but with this new technology, there will be a HUGE increase in new inventions, the imagination is the limit. From toys to education etc.

One example: Is the invention of 3D creating printers. That's right machines that can create what you tell it to from a molecule level! Because of the tiny size of nanotechnology, the machine can create almost anything. Robots, toys etc etc. Imagine the possibilities!

Military

Not sure if this is good or bad, but I'll show some benefits.

Super Soldier suit. Invisiblity, instant healing, body armour, super stength.
www.youtube.com...

Because of the size of nanotechology, it will greatly benefit superstrength, body armour etc etc.

Now most likley medical nanotechnology would be able to heal disabled etc, but if not, a suit like this would help for sure.

The future soldiers will posses what people today will see as SUPER POWERS.

Now of course a lot of these would greatly benefit humanity, for example instant healing! Is immortality coming to us sooner than we think?? lol

The bad

Well staying on topic with soldiers, we come to the very bad side of this. Soldiers and weapons in the wrong hands will be VERY bad for the world.

Super soldiers.

New weapons.

Like what for example?

One I worry about is the creation of some kind of disease or virus. Nanotechnology that is designed to attack our body! Now that is a scary thought!

On the plus side, we can of course probably invent nanotechnology to protect us against these threats. Kind of like antivirus on computers haha.

The ugly

Well I'm going to be brief here, but humanity has good and ugly sides to it.

You can of course imagine some ugly things that could happen.

Just a few examples.

CAMERAS YOU CAN'T SEE!!!
Goverments, pervs etc can use this to spy on anyone! We won't be able to see it because it's so small.

This will cause us to be paranoid for us, our family, our children, worried about them being spyed on, by who knows who.

But like I said, we could probably invent nanotechnolgy that could detect or stop something like this happening in our home.

You can imagine what other ugly things the public or goverment could use that will make our lifes bad.

Conclusion

First if you are interested in more info, here are some more youtube videos about Nanotechnology.

Video Journey Into Nanotechnology
www.youtube.com...

Nanotechnology - Age of Convergence
www.youtube.com...

Nanotechnology
www.youtube.com...

Nanotechnology
www.youtube.com...

Now feel free to look at more videos or websites, research yourself, enjoy!

Back to my conclusion.

My conclusion is, the good outweighs everything else! The benefits this will have for our world will be a shock for us all, even for those of us prepared.

I for one can't wait for this and other new inventions to come to the world and create a better world. Better health, better entertainment, more fun. The imagination is the limit!

Now I would love to hear your thoughts on this, something that I think SHOULD be talked about more! More people should be aware of the changes that might happen. While we do talk about changes, I think we haven't talked enough about nanotechnology, which I think will be the biggest change of all!

Are you excited? or not?

[edit on 13-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I would love to share your optimism for this, but human nature being what it is, I think we can expect more along the lines of micro surveillance and genetic/biological and other types of warfare for this type of tech. Why, you may ask?
Its the military who have vast resources for research and development and its in these areas I believe that we will begin to see them being used ( if they havent already-this tech has been around for a good while now,remember).
Imagine if you could buy a nano factory for your home to produce any household item, you still need raw materials-where are they going to come from? Say you want to make an mp3 player/mobile phone/pc-how are you going to get the cadmium and other heavy elements needed to make these type of products? No country who has these valuable elements is going to want to trade them (why would they-they can make their own stuff,surely?) and that sadly is where the military comes in.
Whether fighting for profit or oil or other natural resources-the military is going to be fighting our enemies/competitors for our ever dwindling resouces until we all learn to live together and share, which sadly I think something we're all a long way from somehow. Sorry to be negative on this but I just think that its the way the world works.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by the way

Yes you are right, but eventually it will come to the public and be great for our future, even if we have to survive wars or whatever. I think the next hundred years will determine which way humanity is heading, heaven or self destruction.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I agree that it is certainly one of the ways of the future, just want to add several "bad/ugly" perspectives. Yes, i know i am an optimist.

Toxicity of artificial nano-sized particles to human organisms issue.

Massive unemployment due to less need for manpower vs immensely larger productivity in nanofactories.

Possibility of total environment control eliminating even smallest personal freedoms.

sty

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
bring it in!
I do not see any problem with that.
good post ! thank you for the videos

[edit on 13-6-2008 by sty]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty
bring it in!
I do not see any problem with that.
good post ! thank you for the videos

[edit on 13-6-2008 by sty]

Your welcome, I think it's good to get more people aware.

The simple fact that our future is not going to be like today, we are evolving in technology at the highest speed ever! It is not possible to imagine what things will come in our future.

I just find it odd that some people are stuck in the past, if you mention, instant healing, immortality, super strength, invisibility, instant healing, they will look at you like your crazy, and would prefer to live in the past. But in fact this is probably going to happen wether we like it or not, and we should be aware.

Because at the rate we are evolving, it won't happen in a 1000 years like some people think, it will happen SOON.

The future is NOW.

And I welcome it, (the good things at least) and hope for the best.

Peace and happy future

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
By the way you always hear people say humans will evolve with machines. Well this is it, nanotechnology can block disease, virus, heal us, etc etc.

Is this how humans will evolve?

Becoming one with machines.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
A friend of mine once said: "Biology is nanotechnology that works".

I thought that was incisive, but I responded that we're so far away from a complete understanding of biological mechanisms, much less apparently-chaotic biological systems, that most extrapolations about the awesomeness of nanotechnology is more wishful 'cargo cult' thinking, than realistic possibility.

For example, current '3D printers' use a single, homogeneous material for constructing their output -- very different than assembling many different elements and molecular configurations!

And the possible speed of nanotechnological computing devices still doesn't 'solve' NP-class computing problems. Ignoring the organizational and communication problems, physical computing media that grows exponentially (or even factorially!) isn't realistically practical.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Your talking about the beginnings, of course there is a lot to learn, but like anything it evolves to what we want.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
All that science eventuality we see in our favorite sci-fi films will come about through nanotech, it takes my breath away to think of the possibilities. Basic nanotech is already in use in the public domain, have a look here>> www.nanotech-now.com...

I wonder if there are military labs with advance nanotech? Some people say that the military/government has technology 20 years ahead of what's available to the public, if that's true they must be able to perform some special tricks.

I starred and flagged this thread because this subject deserves our utmost respect and attention.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Corum

Thanks for that. I'm happy there are more interested in this very important life changing subject.

Now I wonder what nanotechnology will do for space travel???

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
One thing that it could allow is safe reversable cryogenic stasis, letting us travel space for decades and decades without worrying about old age. Or the nanotech could actually stop the ageing process altogether, I don't think there will be many limits in what we will be able to do. Man will become God, and I highly doubt we'll be ready for that responsibility.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
After nano it will be femtotechnology

Where you throw in the femtofactory atoms of any material, the femtomachines will break apart the atoms into protons, neutrons and electrons and then they'll construct new atoms of new element.

btw a femtometre is 10^-15 meters
a nanometre is 10^-9 meters

back to nano:
Yes those will be exciting times, however that advanced nanotechnology is still along time away, from what I've learned in documentaries.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
With nano manufacturing there will be no shortage of materials.
Only minimal amounts of the most precious materials will be required.
Once the material is in circulation, it will be around virtually forever.

The atoms will be harvested from trash by other nano machines and their spawn. Dumps and landfills will be scavenged to the last atom if need be.

Economics as we know it will cease to exist. The most valued thing will be credibility, not money.

If there is enough of everything for everyone, assuming that the nano and the super intelligent computing provide enough of everything for everyone. Then people who have good ideas and can influence others to carry them out will become the superstars of cred. Everyone will wish to be doing something interesting and successful.

Unfortunately along with immortality comes a problem. We will need to either get off the planet and live in space, or continue killing one another.
If we can get off planet there is no need for soldiers or killing.

There will be no need for soldiers anyway, who needs soldiers when you have skynet. The threat will not be the nanotech, but those with plans for advanced killing machines. Yes some ideas are bad, and bad people will hold those plans proprietary.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

Interesting theories.

It's great to know that there is a "chance" for a better world.

I just hope we as the human race are ready to change the world for the better and not keep going down the path of destruction and war, even when we have this technology to help everything in the world, will we take that chance and make it happen? Or will we use that very same technology and go deeper into our very own hell?

Let's hope not.

I'm hoping for a bright future! Full of new entertainment, new knowledge and exiting times.

Peace.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The law of unintended consequences will prevail. Consider for example genetically modified foods. Despite the great promise it has for reducing world hunger, some have already linked GM foods to hideous systemic diseases like Morgellons, which actually alters your DNA.

Some have warned of the possibility of self assembling nano machines escaping the factory and turning the entire world's bio mass into a brown ooze. All by accident of course.

Other than that I wouldn't be concerned.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
it gets uglier. consider that carbon nanotubes have been noted to act and have the same properties of asbestos. how much of that needs to be inhaled by someone who is unsuspecting?

good thread.
I have lots of good stuff to chime in with if the conversation flows in the right directions.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by Corum

Thanks for that. I'm happy there are more interested in this very important life changing subject.

Now I wonder what nanotechnology will do for space travel???

smart materials that control water, providing for vastly improve radiation shielding. self healing and self diagnostic ship skins that repair the damage craft are prone to while in space (nano's suspended in graphene along "veins" within the material so that various nano's can be delivered...a circulatory system). nano's that are injected in the body that provide telemetry and improve bioresponse to zero gravity situations.

then you get into the materials sciences, where you can make materials that "cloak" specific frequencies of energies, providing further radiation protection. materials that allow some things through, and not others (a membrane).

now science can move stuff one atom at a time. the aforementioned femtotechnology is already in the here and now. but we lack the imagination to effectively utilize it currently...but that will soon change.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
This is truly very exciting. I love anything pertaining to major advancements in technology. Also, the prospect of living forever is something that really piques my interest. If not forever, at least a hundred thousand years or more. Our Universe is so vast, I want to see everything there is to see.

If you want to live in the past, then that's great, whatever works for you and makes you happy. But only getting to be alive for a little over a hundred years(assuming there is no afterlife) is something I don't want to imagine.

I say go for broke. Take some chances and make some advancements. Virtual reality, robots that can think and feel like us, interstellar space travel, elimination of disease, all of that is so much more appealing than working at a job, having a wife and kids and growing old and dying. Bring on eternal life! I'm ready for it. I'm ready for the future.

We haven't even scratched the surface yet of what we can potentially create and achieve. I want to see it all. And if it doesn't work, and we all destroy ourselves in the process, then at least I will have been able to see and experience the end.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys!

I love to hear your thoughts.

Interesting.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join