It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is metaphysics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Just asking the question,cos i don't know the answer. Is it to do with the innerself and inner conciousness,and the exploration of therein?

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The OED defines it as:

1. a. The branch of philosophy that deals with the first principles of things or reality, including questions about being, substance, time and space, causation, change, and identity (which are presupposed in the special sciences but do not belong to any one of them); theoretical philosophy as the ultimate science of being and knowing.

b. The study of phenomena beyond the scope of scientific inquiry; spec. = PNEUMATOLOGY n. 1. Obs.

c. Questions of metaphysics as they relate to a specified subject or phenomenon; the underlying concepts or first principles on which a particular branch of knowledge is based. Usu. with of.

d. Philos. Used by logical positivists and some other linguistic philosophers for: any proposition or set of propositions of a speculative nature, considered to be meaningless because not empirically verifiable.

2. Any abstruse, confusing, or (deliberately) deceptive form of reasoning or discussion; abstract talk with no basis in or relevance to reality.

Not sure point 2. is all that helpfull though

[edit on 13/6/08 by Asnivor]

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
so I'm sort of on the right track. Cool. I'm just starting to learn about inner consiousnes,even if I can't spell it
I feel that this forum is going to be most helpful for this journey that I've embarked on.

*runs off to start more newbie Q+A threads*

edit to say....thank you! (how rude of me to forget!!)

[edit on 13/6/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Physics that are to be understood by the elite only I suppose. Telekinesis, remote viewing, telepathy, teleportation, levitation, etc...

Basically all the "good stuff". I have to dig 100 pages of superficial dirt to find anything worth posting about.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I guess we could have separate forms for:

Psychology and Linguistics
Philosophy and Spirituality
Psuedo-Science and Crackpotology

Metaphysics is an older teminology, from a time where scientific understanding was limited enough to be able to lend credibility to those in the last category. Or perhaps, we simply wanted the scientific community to discredit us, so that we could evade the eye of public scrutiny.
edit on 24-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

The cool part is, is that you already know about those things, and you can continue to discuss them with like-minded individuals on forums such as these, shielded by the veil of ridicule.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Physics is a subset of metaphysics. Metaphysics is the examination of everything that exists and how all that exists relates to all else that exists. Most of the folks here think of metaphysics as being consciousness, quantum physics, eternal life, and present unknowns, but these are subsets of metaphysics in the same way that biology and any of the other traditional sciences are.

It's the umbrella that all examination of what exists and/or may exist sits under.
edit on 5/24/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Just asking the question,cos i don't know the answer. Is it to do with the innerself and inner conciousness,and the exploration of therein?

Metaphysics is not a branch of philosophy.
Philosophy is a contraction of energy in the mind.

Metaphysics is Reality or what is beyond the contraction of energy
in the mind.

Metaphysics is Non Duality or transcendence of the Ego Self.
It cannot be known, only lived.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
I guess we could have separate forms for:

Psychology

The study of the soul. Original meaning has nothing to do with study of the brain and human actions/reactions!

and Linguistics

The study and use of language

Philosophy

A friend of knowledge

and Spirituality

The use of telepathy and inner wisdom to communicate with the divine.

Psuedo-Science and Crackpotology

Anything the scientific community studies covertly and pretends not to understand.

Metaphysics is an older teminology, from a time where scientific understanding was limited enough to be able to lend credibility to those in the last category. Or perhaps, we simply wanted the scientific community to discredit us, so that we could evade the eye of public scrutiny.
edit on 24-5-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

I believe your second explanation may be much closer to the truth then your first explanation.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

The cool part is, is that you already know about those things, and you can continue to discuss them with like-minded individuals on forums such as these, shielded by the veil of ridicule.

I do not fear ridicule my friend and at the same time I feel contempt for zombies of the matrix. People who are incapable of thinking for themselves or people who accept any status quo without question are doomed to slavery and tyranny, as subtle as it may first seem. I understand it is not their fault and purely the consequences of their circumstances; forced actions, but still one should at least try to break free if he/she can.

The nwo is real and dangerous!
edit on 5/25/2011 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Metaphysics is not a branch of philosophy.
Philosophy is a contraction of energy in the mind.

Metaphysics is Reality or what is beyond the contraction of energy
in the mind.

Metaphysics is Non Duality or transcendence of the Ego Self.
It cannot be known, only lived.

Metaphysics, in greek, means literally *after physics*, but in common parlance it wrongfully denotes "crackpot theories" and "pseudo-science". Anything that science pretends not to understand but studies discretely/covertly.

What if metaphysics was actually true physics, unmolestated by the ptb? Similary parapyschology could mean *things/occurances our souls registers but our brain cannot fully comprehend"? It has nothing to do with mental illness as the medical complex loves to "treat" the symptoms without a thorough understanding of anything.

top topics

join