It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq war could cost taxpayers $2.7 trillion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Iraq war could cost taxpayers $2.7 trillion

cnnmoney.mobi

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com)As the Iraq war continues with no clear end in sight, the cost to taxpayers may balloon to $2.7 trillion by the time the conflict comes to an end, according to Congressional testimony.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
That's trillions! I wonder what could have been done with that amount of money if we actually spend it on things like health care, schools, alternative energy or any other things that could help this nation get out of the struggles that we find ourselves now.

One thing is sure though, a lot of people got rich in the process.

cnnmoney.mobi

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

That's trillions! I wonder what could have been done with that amount of money if we actually spend it on things like health care, schools, alternative energy or any other things that could help this nation get out of the struggles that we find ourselves now.

One thing is sure though, a lot of people got rich in the process.

cnnmoney.mobi

This Country would be a Utopia Like Switzerland. But We have a Dumb Kid Playing Mr Leader!!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Thats alot of money to spend to not get anything inreturn if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Bcs8484

There'll be a return on it - but it won't go back to the taxpayer, it will go to the oil companies.
There are an estimated 40 billion barrels of Kurdish oil - concessions have already been granted, with some going to (SURPRISE!) associates and friends of the bush family.

And that's before the oil that is already there is taken into account.

So the upshot is, the US taxpayer pays for the war, then the oil companies get rich by selling the oil back to you that you paid to conquer in the first place.

Ain't capitalism great (sarcasm)

[edit on 12/6/2008 by budski]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Not to mention the somewhat separate $6 trillion strain it's put on the world energy market.

The Iraq War was the biggest foreign policy blunder in possibly the history of the United States. It's hurt the average American far more than Vietnam ever did.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Better idea:

How about we spend that money on things actually authorized by the Constitution.

Not public education, healthcare, welfare, etc etc etc.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde

The Iraq War was the biggest foreign policy blunder in possibly the history of the United States. It's hurt the average American far more than Vietnam ever did.

The more I hear this statement the more I tend to agree with it. American military personnel casualties aside, and one can argue that less personnel have died in Iraq because of medical advances, this war has been the biggest foreign policy mistake in this country history and has hurt and it will continue to hurt this country for years perhaps decades to come.

new topics

top topics

join