It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The century of self

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by the way

I didn't realize that it was the same filmmaker. The Power of Nightmares was also ridiculously informative. Highly recommend both of these films.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

That's exactly what's going on. Particular film makers want to immerse you into the main character, make you find a recognition between you and the character.

The idea of being the 'hero' is within us all, yet how many chances a day do we get to be that hero or at least show what we really are individually capable of doing. It's partly to do with the loss of community.

The corporations have become the 'family' and all that we do is for them rather than ourselves or somebody else. Whereas, we go to work to earn some money to feed, house and clothe our own private family. Centuries ago, we would have been working, mixing and living with other families and all that was done was for everyone. Everyone contributed to the community welfare.

Now, we spend most of our time contributing to a corporation and providing only to our own family while the corporation 'provides' what it feels we all need.. movies of heroes and the like...

We would all have worked and given to the community without question, it was a necessity. Through the corporations tricks and scams to control us all for profit, the needs have been replaced by wants.

Working in a community would take up just as much time as it does working for a corporation. Our lives have not gotten any better. Doing a days work for the community would have given us far more personal satisfaction than it does working for a corp.

So to combat the dullness of the daily 9-5 tick-tock routine, we are now provided with gadgets, TV, DVD, fictional heroes, amazing adventures, trips into the unknown and all manner of visions of fantasy and dreams that we cannot yet reach.

We have become a race of 'entertained'. From the clothes we wear to the foods we buy to watching our favourite programme has all been designed to keep us amused and in line with that which the corporations want rather than need.

To quote Roger Waters, "This species has amused itself to death".

If the corporations were working in the same manner as a community then the world may be a far better place to live. It's very possible that nobody would be hungry or homeless, work of some description would be provided for everyone. Psychology could be used to find out every individuals exact abilities and work created/designed to suit them rather than having no choice but be a sheet metal worker or work in McDonalds.

Parents are told by government bodies to watch their childrens behaviour and help the children focus on the things they are obviously good at. Why is it that the governments and corporations don't practice what they preach?

Why is Human behaviour and psychology not taught to our children in schools? Psychology is a college choice in England. Perhaps a basic understanding of how we work will help set up a lot of children's maturity and understanding before being let loose out into the world to 'find their own way' and learn lessons too late. Instead, we have corporations pumping our childrens heads with visions of glamour, false heroics, pop idols and images of false realities such as reality TV.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
To quote Roger Waters, "This species has amused itself to death".

That is a wonderful album and well worth listening to if you haven't heard it. The song 'Watching TV' always brings a tear to my eye, even though the 'grieve for my sister' wailing sets my teeth on edge sometimes.

I think I'll listen to it now.

Excerpt from Late Home Tonight, Part I:

What a beautiful sight in his wild blue dream
The eternal child leafs through his war magazines
And his kind Uncle Sam feeds ten trillion in change
Into the total entertainment combat video game

And up here in the stands
The fans are going wild
As the cheerleaders flip
When you wiggle your hip
And we all like the bit when you take
The jeans from the refrigerator and
Then the bad guy gets hit

And were you struck by the satisfying way
The swimsuit sticks to her skin
Like BB gun days
When knives pierce autumn leaves
But that's okay, see the children bleed
It'll look great on the TV

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Why is Human behaviour and psychology not taught to our children in schools? Psychology is a college choice in England. Perhaps a basic understanding of how we work will help set up a lot of children's maturity and understanding before being let loose out into the world to 'find their own way' and learn lessons too late. Instead, we have corporations pumping our childrens heads with visions of glamour, false heroics, pop idols and images of false realities such as reality TV.

First, its not taught at school. And the version taught at college is only the most watered-down, careful, PC-version. Any thinking outside the box is deemed "dangerous".

Damn cowards.

Teach Mind & Spirit and you´ll have people being too able, to awake to control and sell to.

Obviously thats why you posted this and thats why we´re having this Forum.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Rogers stuff is amazing. Love his work with Floyd and solo.

His ability to write in a manner that strikes home is wonderful and I think he would make a very valid and strong contribution to ATS, as well as John Lydon.

The world needs more of these people.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yes, you're right, Sky.

My experience of college level psychology was that it was more of a history lesson than any actual 'learning ' on what makes us tick.

I was extremely disappointed. And then once you go on to university to work towards your doctorate, you have to choose a particular field of psychology, whether it be paranormal, child, criminal etc etc..

I found the whole experience to be a big let down and nothing more than a scam which has been carefully modified to do exactly what you've said...shovel particular groups and people into one direction rather than allow personal freedom and expansion.

And did you know what they say about those who become psychologists?
They say that any who do are the ones in need of psychology more than those they treat.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I'm also reminded of a documentary I saw recently about Cuba. In one part, they talk to an artist, who came to the US for a few years, but ended up returning to Cuba.

He says something about how strange the US culture is, noting that they are consumers mainly. And it got me to thinking, are we so brainwashed into consumerism? Moreso than other western nations? Is this some contrast with merely Cuba, or if someone were to go to some other nation with other major cultural differences, would we see the contrast?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join