It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Structure OF The Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I found this link through another thread but curiosity along another path gave me an incentive to post this thread.

Source

In the quote below, from the above source, he's talking about Earth:

"The body-centered cubic crystal structure forms a cube with atoms in each corner and a further atom in the middle of this cube. It is oriented in such a way that its great diagonal is directed along the earth’s axis of rotation, which makes it possible for the iron to evince sound propagations with the velocities observed."

Recently there was a discussion about the moon "ringing like a bell" upon impact. So, maybe the Moon's core is also crystalline? How many planets/moons/etc. have crystalline cores?

Another thought about the moon:

Source

"If you take out the five major mascons on the near side of the moon, orbits are much more stable," said Alex Konopliv, a GRAIL planetary scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, Calif. He added that the far side of the moon has smaller mascons, which have weaker gravitational pulls."

So, if the larger Mascons face the Earth, could this be what keeps the moon tidally locked to Earth? And if the Mascons are formed by impacts, why are the largest on the side "protected" by the Earth and few on the outer side, facing the unprotected direction? Hm.

This should perhaps be two different threads. Let me know if I need to modify the situation, please.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
If some, maybe most planetary cores were crystalline, would that tie into the Electric Universe theory? Would it help or hinder the theory in any way, or is it totally irrelevant?

About the Mascons, if they are larger on the Earth side, wouldn't that mean that the larger ones came from that direction? So, what then would be the possibility that they came, in fact, from Earth? What would that mean and how could that be?

edit for spelling correction

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Annoyed]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Well, those mascons may not have always been facing earth, the impact that created them could have happened at a earlier time, when the moon was not completely tidally locked. This new mass concentrated on the surface may have accelerated the process though.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thank you for your response. So, perhaps the mascons were created and that's what caused the tidal lock ... interesting. I hadn't considered that, silly me. Wouldn't that imply that the Moon had it's own rotation at some point in the past? Did it? Hm, obviously I should do more research before I post, lest I make a total fool of myself, as if I haven't already. Is it possible the Moon had no spin of it's own, was hit and rotated for a bit until slowing again to become tidally locked?

Or, perhaps the mascons were formed before the Moon, um, assumed orbit around Earth?
(Some have theorized that the Moon was brought and placed into orbit purposefully, I don't know enough about that to make an informed conclusion yet, though.)

Do other moons have these mascons and do they face their planets, if they are tidally locked? Are other moons tidally locked that we are aware of? Hm, research ensues, I'll try to find out.

My main interest, however, is in whether this would support or deny the Electric Universe theory and why (or not). I'm just trying to learn here.

I am sure there are many here who know these things already, please share your knowledge!

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Also, does anyone have any ideas about the "ringing like a bell" as it relates to this crystalline core? If I'm not mistaken, some crystal holds a vibration for quite some time, such as for quartz watches and such. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Would a crystalline core cause the ringing, maybe extend length of time the sound lasted or change the tone?

Also, when the Moon rang, what note was it making? Does the Earth ring when it receives a massive blow, as well? What note does Earth play? Is this the source of some of the sounds in space? It seems it would have to be, if it's a regular occurrence in planetary formation.

(haha, funny thought ; could we play music with our Solar System?)

How would this relate to the Electric Universe theory? I'm not familiar with the electrical properties of crystal, and would appreciate any information anyone might care to share.

Of course if you follow the theory about a hollow Earth, this crystalline core might put a kink in there. If you concur with the Hollow Earth theory, please explain the results of these scientists and how it helps/hinders the theory, as I'm not overly familiar with the details of that theory either. I read about the Hollow Earth too many years ago to recall the details.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Annoyed

As far as I know, the "ringing like a bell" was not the result of hearing it but seeing the seismograph result after they had crashed the module that was used to take the astronauts from the Moon back to the orbiting module.

The use of quartz crystals in watches is not because of their sound capabilities but because of their piezoelectric capabilities (this can be directly related to the Electric Universe theory
), the capability of producing an electrical current when a force is applied to it.

And there are no sounds in space, all the "sounds" that I know of are radio signals converted to audio signals.

Also, the Earth does not "ring like a bell" because it has some liquid (although under very high pressures) parts. Liquid has a much lower propagation velocity, so most of the vibrations are stopped when they reach those parts. That is why for any earthquake there is an area on the other side of the Earth where the vibrations are much weaker or not even detectable, because of the "shadow" that liquid part makes on the other side of the Earth.

A better explanation of the shadow zone.
Shadow zone

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I see it..yep....there it is it looks like a Dairy Queen....
...I wonder who keeps putting these empty post here..?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Hi, ArMap. Thank you for your response. Well, I knew the quartz wasn't holding sound, lol, but thought it was vibrations. Seems like I was told once that if you had a quartz watch and it stopped working, to shake it. I suppose we don't realize how many things we are told as children that we take without question, isn't it? But, I do recall it having to do with piezoelectric capabilities, now that you mention it.
So, it might tie in to the Electric Universe theory after all. Interesting. Thank you.

As for the sounds in space, there are vids on youtube with the sounds of space. You mean these sounds aren't audible, but the result of say, gamma rays and such, for example, correct? Because of no atmosphere, no sound waves? Then they are energy, correct? Vibrations, of a sort?

You said the Earth does not ring like a bell ... I saw information recently that said, in effect, that earthquakes caused a ringing. (I need to start bookmarking more, lol. I hate going back trying to find things I should have made note of at the time.)

These waves make the whole Earth ring like a bell and travel through the entire Earth. The movement of these waves within the Earth’s crust can cause minor to major damage to structures on the surface of the Earth, especially close to the origin of the earthquake. The damage depends on the intensity of the original stress and how it travels through the crust.

Source

Some of the vibrations are of high enough frequency to be audible, while others are of very low frequency. These vibrations cause the entire planet to quiver or ring like a bell or tuning fork.

Source

Are these not credible sources?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmajestyk6309

Hi, mrmajestyk6309. Thank you for your input. However, I must admit that I do not understand your meaning. Would you mind clarifying your comment, please?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Annoyed

I think that the problem lies in what is meant by "ringing like a bell" (or, as the second source has it, "like a tunning fork".

My interpretation is that this means that the Earth vibrates. Obviously, it cannot be like a bell or a tunning fork because, at least, of its shape, one of the things that can change the way things vibrate.

And yes, all the "sounds" from space that I have seen are radio (or more correctly, electromagnetic waves) with its frequency reduced to the audible range, like the "sounds" from Saturn (I think it's Saturn but I may be wrong, I have mixed the planet more than once
).

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I see what you mean. However, whether or not the so-called ringing is or is not audible sound waves wasn't really what I was getting at. I am more curious about how this new information affects the current alternative theories, in particular the Electric Universe theory, and somewhat the Hollow Earth theory.

I appreciate your input about the possibility of the piezoelectric properties of crystals being beneficial to the Electric Universe theory.

So, do you agree with the crystalline core information cited above? If so, do you think there is the possiblity that the Moon also has this crystalline core? What do you consider the chances to be that other planetary bodies are also containing a crystalline core? Do you think this has any significance whatsoever?

new topics

top topics

join