It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient natural nuclear reactors on Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2003 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I don't know how many people know that there was natural fission of uranium over a billion years ago. Scientists have discovered the remains of several ancient reactor cores.

'It is not necessary to search the sky if we want to find ancient, several billion years old reactors. In 1972 a French engineer made one of the most astounding discoveries in the history of science. Bougzigues worked as an analyst for a company producing fuel for nuclear power plants in Provance, France. In the course of his routine measurements he found a strange anomaly.'

'In the Pierrelatte factory in 1972, nuclear fuel was manufactured from uranium ore that originated from the Gambian Oklo. Bougzigues made routine measurements during which he found that ratio of isotopes in the uranium ore to be processed is somewhat less than the earlier measured value: 0.717%. Different possibilities were investigated that could cause the measured anomaly. First they ascertained that no spent nuclear fuel had been deposited in the mine. The activity of the ore was too little for that. There were certain theories which tried to explain the phenomenon with the crash of an extraterrestrial space ship or with the existence of an ancient civilization that utilized nuclear energy. However, reality was far beyond even these romantic imaginations. The researchers found the remnants of an ancient, natural nuclear reactor in Oklo! '

Remnants of the core of the OKLO 15 natural reactor

NATURAL REACTORS
OKLO pdf file
OKLO-Comparison with modern reactors

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
is there anyone that knows if there has been found any signs of natural fission reactors other than in oklo? if not, i find it very curious.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Actually there is a well here in Virginia someplace (not sure the exact location) that is as hot as can be. but I don't think calling it or the one(s) in Africa are entirely accurate... its not like its a controlled process... its just an extremely hot concentration of Uranium 235... unenriched or anything.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
the one(S) in oklo is supposedly not active anymore, so an active natural reactor would be awsome to find/study. just a thought, if its natural how come it has only been found in one area of the world?

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
There are actually several around.... The one in Africa is the most famous though; like I said there is one here in Virginia too and if my recollection holds correct its down towards Richmond.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
are there any internet-links to this? i have tried to search on google to find any info on this subject, but i have only found references to the oklo-reactor(s). any links would be welcome.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mad scientist

Great thread!

As most people have been taught, the general belief is that the Earth has a hot molten iron core, the spinning of which generates the Earth's magnetic field. Based on the strength of that field and the fact that when it switches, it does so very quickly, an alternate theory of the core that includes heavy elements like uranium, thorium, and also the lighter potassium as radioactive generators of heat and magnetic fields is currently being investigated. Here's a link.
www.sciencedaily.com...

I've thought about this as reasonable for some time, along with the likelyhood that it is a source of life for the earth (don't go there with me if you can't
). It's great to see an actual confirming discovery of a natural nuclear reactor. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I think the Great pyramid was used for nuclear activity.

Not sure how but it adds up if you investigate its structure.

Great Pyramid could have been a Plutonium Mill

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

thats absurd. there is no evidence of that at all, radioactive or otherwise.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I think the Great pyramid was used for nuclear activity.

Not sure how but it adds up if you investigate its structure.

Great Pyramid could have been a Plutonium Mill

hmmm!? I don't think so!

but then again, anything is possible until the debunkers have had a go

top topics

join