It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dems Pile On McCain for Saying Troop Withdrawal Timetable ‘Not Too Important’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
elections.foxnews.com...

]Barack Obama’s campaign and prominent Democrats went after John McCain Wednesday for saying in an interview that the timetable for when U.S. troops can return from Iraq is “not too important.”

McCain made the remarks on NBC’s “Today” show when asked if, given the apparent success of the troop surge, he had a “better estimate” for when American forces could come home.

“No, but that’s not too important,” McCain responded. “What’s important is the casualties in Iraq. Americans are in South Korea. Americans are in Japan. American troops are in Germany. That’s all fine.”

Shortly afterward, Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry and two Obama foreign policy advisers held a conference call blasting McCain for dismissing the strain the war is putting on the country’s military. They used the comment to press Obama’s argument that McCain is running to continue President Bush’s policies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So what do McCain supporters have to say about this?Reminder to keep it civil please!

***Just a reminder we have been in Iraq for 1,910 days!

[edit on 6/11/2008 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Can I say something, even though I'm not a McCain supporter?

I think this is how "in touch" McCain is with the people. It's not too important when the forces come home? I wonder how important it is to the mothers, sisters and other family and friends of the soldier...

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
So are you an Obama supporter?Honestly I think if McCain is elected he will be the President of 'World War Three.'

What do you think we should do about Iraq?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
So are you an Obama supporter?Honestly I think if McCain is elected he will be the President of 'World War Three.'

What do you think we should do about Iraq?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

At this time, I am an Obama supporter, yes.

As regards Iraq, If I had the power, I would start withdrawing troops now and we'd be completely out of there by election time. We had no business going there and we have no business being there.

I also think that if McCain is elected, we have many war years in the Middle East ahead of us. If people think Iraq is bad, just elect McCain and we'll see just how bad it can get.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I don't think setting an arbitrary date is that important.

What I do think is important is acting as soon as possible to get our troops out of Iraq before more Americans and innocent Iraqis die needlessly.

John McCain would have full on war continue until 2013 (his own estimates) and a US military presence there for "100 years." That to me is unacceptable.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
As regards Iraq, If I had the power, I would start withdrawing troops now and we'd be completely out of there by election time. We had no business going there and we have no business being there.

Iraq is now a republic and one of very few U.S. allies in the region. Regardless of whether you or I supported the U.S.-led overthrow of Saddam's Ba'athist regime, the initial invasion decimated the Iraqi military.

Without a U.S. presence, Shi'ites in the south, with Iranian backing, would attempt to exact retribution on the Sunnis for their favoritism under Saddam. For now, a civil war has been averted. With a weakened army of their own, Iraq would be very vulnerable should Iran attempt a full-scale invasion.

The situation is much more similar to South Korea than to Japan. In Japan, we disarmed them completely as a condition of surrender and are now responsible for their defense. We are definately "occupiers". In South Korea and Iraq, we are there to aid in their defense and security. Iraq has been given full sovereignty and if they demand that we leave then we'll have to leave, so we are not "occupiers".

I also think that if McCain is elected, we have many war years in the Middle East ahead of us. If people think Iraq is bad, just elect McCain and we'll see just how bad it can get.

Why do you think this? If Obama is elected and fully withdraws our troops according to an arbitrary timetable of 14 months (as he did in January '07) having nothing to do with stability and security, there would be an increased likelihood of all-out civil war Iranian backing resulting in another U.S./NATO/U.N./whatever broad invasion resulting in further U.S. casualties.

First secure, then stabilize, rebuild Iraqi defense and, finally, withdraw IF both the U.S. and Iraq believe it is our mutual interests to withdraw.

top topics

join