It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Calls Me White Folk

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Are talking about what his coach said? Does it matter what his coach said? The point is that this man is running for president and he is calling Caucasians white folk. I can imagine him making a speech in front of the U.N. and saying The White Folk of the United States of America firmly believe blah, blah, blah. Anyways I got my point across.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Eric, we get your point. You don;t like black people and you will not vote for a black president. Point taken. Now please take your inflammatory remarks and get the hell out of here.

Until you are ready to stop picking through Obama's past to try and assassinate his character without looking at context or the reason why he said these things, then you have nothing to contribute on this site.

You propel ignorance. Your argument is the stuff that ignorance breeds upon. It feeds on it. You only gain satisfaction by pissing people off.

You bring no decent arguments to the table and the weak, feeble arguments you do bring are only based in quotes pulled out of context and molded to fit your sick, ignorant agenda.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
He's not talking about ALL white people. He's talking about white racists, that is the context of the comment. If you read the damn article, and didn't just skip to the juicy part, like it was a description of anatomy in some tawdry romance novel, you would see that.

What the coach said was not the purpose of that excerpt - the larger context involved a separation along racial lines, a division in his personal life between those at home (obviously not racist) and those at school (racist), and a struggle to come to terms with his identity as a black man on the dividing line.

As far as the term white folk being racist, I think that's ludicrous. This PC garbage has got to stop.

Do you come from the frickin' Caucus mountains? No? Neither do I. Caucasian, blech - how about white? Simple, if not entirely accurate (I'm really more of an anemic peachy hue). I come from New York. I'm a white New Yorker. How simple is that?

African-American? What the hell is that? What if their relatives were European? Calling a person with a dark complexion an 'African-American' is not one, but two stupid assumptions - one, that they're American, and two, that they're from Africa.

Black folk came/come from all over the world, not just Africa. And many of them, believe it or not, are not American citizens. What if a guy has Haitian parents and is a citizen of France, that would be pretty retarded to call him African-American, wouldn't it?

I don't mind being called white, and I use the term black without apology, simply because most of the black folk I've known used the term themselves, and held an undisguised loathing for all the liberal garbage ostensibly created to protect their feelings.

It's not the words themselves that are troublesome, it's the way they're used.

A racist is a racist, and no amount of semantics can disguise that fact once they get their mouth running.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

If I could give you an applause I WOULD, but I can do it without the points. Thank you for denying ignorance at it's best. You are exactly right about racists people and how they use the words. Otherwise it's just a word.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This concerns the video posting of Mr Obama's quotes:

If the quotes are in the context they seem to be (I cannot say except for what I saw and heard):

...and then his pastor accepts his part in the Nukes by saying "WE nuked..."

Sorry if this seems off topic, but a preacher of God is supposed to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ if he preaches in a Christian church, not promote genocide. After all, Jesus was the one who called on His followers to pray for their persecutors and bless them, not curse them.

I was born in South Africa and have been living here ever since. And, amazingly, the more I get in contact with the older generation of blacks, the more I hear that the "old regime" was better for them.

I am white (well, actually, a pinkish-orangey mixture that turns a reddish tint when overheated and blueish when too cold, but whatever...)

I am man.

I work with blacks and whites and coloureds and orientals. And if Apartheid was the Ultimate Evil (UE) it still seems to be cast into its role as, why did South Africa become the Murder Capital, the Rape Capital (every six seconds...) and the Hijack Capital of the world... AFTER the UE was voted out and we got OUR FREEDOM!!! in 1994.

Many of my ex-colleagues work in Iraq (personally, I am against it, but whatever); according to them, it is safer over there, than in Johannesburg.

Most of them are trained military and/or security personnel.

And after reading and hearing those sayings from Mr Obama, I foresee a bleak future for your nation, should he be elected your president.

Pray that he has a change of heart.

Or live Zim 2002.

On the other hand...

If his words were taken out of context, then read and listen to the whole thing before shouting the sky is falling.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by J.Smit]

[edit on 11-6-2008 by J.Smit]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by eric52081
If I would walk up to a black man and tell him, How is the black folk doing? I would be branded a racist on the spot.

And if you were to walk up to a white person and say "How is the white folk doing?" would that make you a racists against whites too, since you're white? If your answer is no, then it wouldn't apply to Obama either since he's half white.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
WOW
and hey did you know that Oprah Winfrey said the same "thing"?

Its slang talk. If you take offense to it, you're no better than the KKK and the Black panthers.

Let it bounce off you if you're offended by it. Who cares.
Some use "Whitey" to justify "N-word"

If Oprah Winfrey racist?

Well judging by the millions of white people she's helped with new cars, new homes, new books, new clothes, money, food, shelter,

i'd say no, she's not racist.

The OP seems to find every little nitche possible to debunk Obama.

Though im not a democrat, i think its ridiculous that a person resorts to gossip and rumors, and avoids facts and opinions, especially when it comes to election time.

And people wonder why polticians are so corrupt

Hell - if you're a politician and you tell the truth, everyone calls you a liar!

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

How would you like it if I heard you say the phrase "black people" and started a post at ATS saying how racist you were against black people just because you said that phrase. I wouldn't care about the context you used it in..doesn't matter, throw it out the window....you could be saying, "I love black people" or ""Black people are cool as hell" or "Most of my friends are black people," but screw all that, I see that you said the term "black people" so I'm gonna just take that and run with it, and take it completely out of context.

My post would be called "Eric Hates Black People." I would then proceed to quote the part of your sentence that supports this argument that I have created out of thin air. Lets just say for instance the whole sentence was "Black people are cool as hell." F*** that. I'm just gonna quote you as saying "Black people are...hell." There we go! That seems to fit my agenda better! So I would then proceed to argue with everyone that you are in fact racist....and I would argue it with a passion! I would make it my utmost goal to convince everyone here that you abhor blacks based off of this single out of context statement. Awesome!

Would you be okay with me doing this? I mean, its EXACTLY what you're doing, so I don't see how it would offend you in the slightest if I did this. We're not gonna turn into a hypocrite now, are we?
I mean, don't dish it out if you can't take it, right?

No offense man, but your logic here reeks of utter and complete ignorance. Ignorance is the nicest word I can use to describe it. Other synonyms for what you are doing are....lets see...hate-mongering....slandering....deceiving... and the list goes on. Hopefully by putting you in those shoes i have opened your eyes to what you are doing here. That is all I am trying to do. So you can get mad at me or whatever, but all I'm telling you is the truth.

[edit on 6/14/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Nice response.
I second his approach

and starred

i'd applause too, bu since i dont get that option

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Nor is it acceptable for people to sterotype major political candidates and their possible supporters because of their skin colour.

Please clarify your first statement. I want to make sure I don't misinterpret what you're saying. "It's not acceptable for people to stereotype major political candidates and their possible supporters because of the color of their skin colour."

What are you implying?

Well theres a reason you are. And its nothing to do with the mans political policies, is it?

Again, what are you implying by your claim that "its nothing to do with the mans political policies"? What do you think it has to do with?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

He must be racist if he calls me white folk.

What would you prefer he calls white folks? I can't see the issue here.

This is a great article from 1995. It also talks about how Obama went to the Million Man March.

www.chicagoreader.com...

Hey, I've got a better one:

African-American men from across the country gathered on Washington's National Mall October 16, for a massive Million Man March advocating "unity, atonement and brotherhood".

In one of the largest marches ever seen on the Mall, participants were asked to pledge to "clean up their lives and rebuild their neighborhoods".

Organized by Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, the march also drew participants from other churches, as well as many schools and social organizations. Many of the participants said they were optimistic that the peaceful day of praying, singing and speechmaking would lead to more understanding between the races. "I hope it acts as a catalyst for better relationships with everybody," one marcher said.

Farrakhan led the huge crowd in pledges to "take responsibility for their lives and families, and commit to stopping the scourges of drugs, violence and unemployment".

photo2.si.edu...

Woooo, that's some scary stuff. Or would you prefer that black folks not take care of themselves and their communities?

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
Eric, we get your point. You don;t like black people and you will not vote for a black president. Point taken. Now please take your inflammatory remarks and get the hell out of here.

This is clearly against the ATS T&C. You are supposed to be discussing the topic, not the poster. Nor are you in a position to tell another member to get the hell out of here because you don't like what he says.

I like eric's posts. Please keep posting eric!

You propel ignorance. Your argument is the stuff that ignorance breeds upon. It feeds on it. You only gain satisfaction by pissing people off.

You bring no decent arguments to the table and the weak, feeble arguments you do bring are only based in quotes pulled out of context and molded to fit your sick, ignorant agenda.

When you're done policing eric's arguments and sick ignorant agenda, maybe you want to take a crack at the Bush and Cheney haters who've been posting here for 7 years. I am certain that you might find some weak and feeble arguments.

And back on point, I agree with the OP that Obama has a disturbing pattern of couching everything in terms of his blackness and his black experience, while being totally out of touch with every other race. The problem isn't that anybody cares if he's black, it's that HE cares so much about himself being black and his black experience, blah, blah, blah....

We get is Barry. We don't need you to be the savior that heals whatever racial biases that might be left. What the OP is pointing out is that Barry O.'s repeated stereotyping of white people, like his "typical white grandmother" is offensive to a lot of white people on several levels. First, his arrogance and condescension is offensive, and second, his obsession with race is annoying.

And keep in mind that the whole race issue came to the forefront because Obama choose to be a member of a church, and choose to have a wacky racist as his personal spiritual advisor.

Obama is trying to make the focus racial issues when 99% of people don't really care about racial issues.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
How would you like it if I heard you say the phrase "black people" and started a post at ATS saying how racist you were against black people just because you said that phrase.

My post would be called "Eric Hates Black People."

I mean, its EXACTLY what you're doing, so I don't see how it would offend you in the slightest if I did this.

In defense of eric, this is not at all what he did. He didn't start a thread that says "Obama hates Black People." He's pointing out the double-standard that's been applied to Obama from day 1. Obama can say things and be free of criticism. If a white person said the same things as Obama he'd be crucified.

And what you said is a perfect example. Imagine what the media would do to George Bush if he started talking about Colin Powell or Condi Rice as a "typical black person."

There would be a nuclear explosion of outrage from the msm and the liberals in Washington. "How dare Bush refer to anybody as a 'typical' black person!!"

You know it's true. Whether you want to admit it or not is another thing.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Obama is trying to make the focus racial issues when 99% of people don't really care about racial issues.

I think your math is a little off here. 99%? I think it much lower than that. I can think of a few in this thread alone that think it's a race issue.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

"That's just how white folks will do you," Obama writes.

Wow, am I hearing this right. He must be racist if he calls me white folk. This is a great article from 1995. It also talks about how Obama went to the Million Man March.

www.chicagoreader.com...

Jamie,

That is the original post. He stated one sentence out of context and based his whole argument off of it. My post was merely a response to the first post in this thread. And reading it word for word, what I said in my previous post is exactly what he is doing.

He is using a stereotype to justify his argument against stereotyping

"He must be racist if he calls me white folk."

If you'll notice he says "He must be racist if he calls me white folk." What intelligence can you ascertain from that statement? I can't get ANY out of it. In fact, that statement is SO ignorant, I didn't even want to comment at first on the matter. But I felt it would be the right thing to do, to provide a little intelligent input.

He said nothing about double standards or anything. He simply took a sentence out of context in the article and made a completely ignorant and illogical statement out of it. If what he said is true, then every time i say call my homeboys "black folk" or even "homeboys" it would mean I am a racist. And that I am not.

And his next sentence reveals his dislike for the fact that Obama is black.

"It also talks about how Obama went into the Million Man March."

Now I'm sorry, but that sounds like something a racist white person would say. I know blacks that do participate in the Million Man March and they are not racist by any means. He's making a broad interpretation of black people that participate in the Million Man March....am I the only one that sees the irony there?....to back up his assumption that Obama is racist.

In reading the whole article, how could you read this:

"That's just how white folks will do you," Obama writes. "It wasn't merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some.

and turn it into this:

"That's just how white folks will do you," Obama writes.

without purposefully trying to mislead people into thinking he is a racist....

Now YOU said:

He's pointing out the double-standard that's been applied to Obama from day 1. Obama can say things and be free of criticism. If a white person said the same things as Obama he'd be crucified.

And that is a good argument, but its not his argument its yours. I think he was merely reading how Obama was talking about racists in general...not white or black, but both...and this offended the OP because it applied to him....when you are talking about someone they tend to get offended.

And in my opinion and experience, it takes one to know one, so to speak.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I grew up with a father that had been strongly racist, especially, against blacks. He called them lazy and pointed out how they lived and dressed. That was at a cherry farm that they most likely lived and worked at and were in their work clothes.I just thought they were interesting folk. And just because they were um, kicking back, doesn't mean they don't work.

I'm currently on disability and that was even worse to my father. He kept telling me to go back to work and I despised him for it and I wouldn't visit him or even do much of any work for him until he was diagnosed with brain cancer. I drove him to his doctors appointments for radiation treatments and in turn had a phone so he could call me when he needed me to drive him. He wasn't supposed to drive but would take off in the car when we got back anyway. So, more often then not, I didn't agree with him and his judgements.

I was looking through some old letters of his and found a small picture of a black female friend of his along with letters from Africa. That's one story I never heard about.

To me, white folk is a generous term, but, most likely has it's roots in sarcasm. I don't take offense to Obama using it, but, wonder if he checks backgrounds of anyone who works for him that ever used the "N" word; would be out of a job or off the list.

So, is he black or just an american politician?

I still Remember Harold Washington that was the Mayor of Chicago. Although I didn't really know him, I thought he was funny and a character.He reminded me more of a car salesman than a lawyer or politician. That was just my impression anyway through the news media.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 14-6-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What is so wrong with being racist?

Oh, I forgot!
It's just fine and ok for blacks to be racist toward white people but God forbid if a white person is racist in this country.

This is a terrible double standard in the united states!

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Sorry, I missed your point. Most here that are against ANY racism.

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Hey
if you wanna be racist, go ahead. Waller in your own hateful ignorance

But nobody ever said "black racism" was acceptable that wasnt, themselves, racist

so get your facts straight next time
otherwise it makes you look silly

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
And that is a good argument, but its not his argument its yours. I think he was merely reading how Obama was talking about racists in general...not white or black, but both...and this offended the OP because it applied to him....when you are talking about someone they tend to get offended.

Ok, maybe you're right about a lot of what you pointed out. I'm not sure why, I think it's something about your avatar, but you seem to be able to convince me of things more than most people.

That said, I have read many of eric's threads, and his main beef seems to be the double-standard that's applied to Obama, and to blacks vs. whites in general. I think that his way of drawing attention to this is post what some may consider inflammatory comments. But I'm pretty sure he's doing this just to prove his point.

In any event, even if the quote that the OP used was out of context, Obama made similar statements stereotyping whites at least two other times. I'm a bit taken aback by how Obama thinks in terms of group identities as opposed to individualism. Of course many politicians think this way, i.e., in terms of demographics.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join