It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun goes longer than normal without producing sunspots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Sun goes longer than normal without producing sunspots

www.eurekalert.org

he scientists said periods of inactivity are normal for the sun, but this period has gone on longer than usual.

"It continues to be dead," said Saku Tsuneta with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, program manager for the Hinode solar mission. "That's a small concern, a very small concern."

The last cycle reached its peak in 2001 and is believed to be just ending now, Longcope said. The next cycle is just beginning and is expected to reach its peak sometime around 2012.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I think this is of great concern, what could possibly be happening?

aleins covering the sun storms from harming us, or are we indeed in a cycle that is just beggining!

www.eurekalert.org

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATSGUY

I think this is of great concern, what could possibly be happening?

aleins covering the sun storms from harming us, or are we indeed in a cycle that is just beggining!

www.eurekalert.org

hah! Didn't you read it once went 50 years without any solar activity?

Seriously though. Given the life of the Sun is like a Trillion years, I don't think inactivity for 2 years is anywhere near a concern.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Since we are still learning and it is "believed" to be in a new cycle, I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Haha why does 2012 keep popping up!!! lol

No matter what the subject, somehow 2012 pops up. Maybe it's simply because we notice the year more, if they said 2009 we wouldn't notice it, because there is no hype about 2009. Right?

[edit on 11-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

sty

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
well, this would explain ice-ages in the history of our Earth!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

That statement is definitely debatable. Is it a coincidence that during the Little Ice age there was a period of minimum solar output? I doubt it.

This is more significant than I originally thought. As I recall, last year's hurricane season was close to a record low. I highly doubt that the sun's inactivity has nothing to do with it.

It's my belief that the relationship between earth weather and solar weather is direct and consequential at times. It will be interesting to see what earth's weather will be like as this sun "drought" continues. I'll be keeping a close eye one it.

Good Thread. Star and Flagged.

-Dev

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The last cycle reached its peak in 2001 and is believed to be just ending now, Longcope said. The next cycle is just beginning and is expected to reach its peak sometime around 2012.

No reason for anyone to go all chicken little. Just read slowly and completely. sheesh

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm just wondering where everyone was when I posted this yesterday.

Sun Goes Longer Than Normal Without Producing Sunspots

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Actually, the new solar cycle 24 has already begun thanks to the reversed polarity of a sunspot observed on Jan, 4.

No one is going chicken little, we're just observing trends.

You wanna know what global warming is all about? Do a little research on the relationship between solar activity and earth weather. We are electrically connected to the sun. Believe it or not, this is fact.

sty

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

I sort of try to find also a connection between solar activity and earthquakes
, i suspect there could be a connection.One could predict another, but how?

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Thats a great point. In fact, NASA is on the verge of being able to predict earthquakes thanks to electrical disturbances in the earth's ionosphere. And I'm sure we all know what causes those disturbances.......thats right kids, the sun!

NASA provides "Explanation" of China Earthquake

Researchers say they have found a close link between electrical disturbances on the edge of our atmosphere and impending quakes on the ground below..........The ionosphere is distinguished from other layers of Earth's atmosphere because it is electrically charged through exposure to solar radiation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article goes on to say.....

Stuart Eves, head of business development at the company, told BBC News: "The evidence suggests we're now crossing the boundary in terms of technology readiness."

He added: "What we don't know is how big the effect is and how long-lasting it is before the earthquake."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So it would seem that you are on the right track there, sty.

-Dev

new topics

top topics

join