It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama sets up internet 'war room' to fight slurs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Barack Obama sets up internet 'war room' to fight slurs

www.timesonline.co.uk

A crack team of cybernauts will form a rapid response internet “war room” to track and respond aggressively to online rumours that Barack Obama is unpatriotic and a Muslim.

As he gears up for his general election fight against John McCain, Mr Obama and his chief advisers are aware of the danger of such rumours, amid polling data showing that a significant number of Americans believe he is a Muslim or are suspicious about his background. Such doubts were a factor in his poor showing with whit
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
With all the pro-Obama posters showing up here lately and the rabidness of people defending him, plus threads being started that suggest anyone criticizing Obama is doing it because they are racist, it makes me wonder if some of this "crack team of cybernauts" isn't already operating here.

www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Of course they are do we need to name names? Then they will delete their cookies and re register under a different IP addy and just start all over again.

I will say this, no one should have to take race as a slur. no one. They should however take the heat for any choice they make as an adult which includes idiocy and affiliation with undesirables, or criminal activity.

The man is applying for a job. A very important job. He is and must stand up under a microscope.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Well just look at when this team was formed and look at the newer members and make a decision. Im sure its possible they will in the future I dont think there is right now though.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

maybe they are ` rabid ` as you put it - because many of the allegations leveled @ mr obama are indeed untrue - and his supporters are sick of having to refute the same lie over and over

i have very little interest in US politics - and am not getting into the debate over the veracity of each claim

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

an what is the affiliation and ajenda of the people initiating , and repeating the accusations against mr oboma ?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

maybe they are ` rabid ` as you put it - because many of the allegations leveled @ mr obama are indeed untrue - and his supporters are sick of having to refute the same lie over and over

Maybe so. But your post begs the question of exactly how is that any different than all that has been posted over the last 8 - no 9 counting the campaigns - years? Does the shoe being on the other foot all of the sudden make it right?

How about we try to deny hypocrisy right along with denying ignorance?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Is that what they're calling them these days - Cybernauts?

Christ, they make it sound like they're going into outer-space.

Hey world! The Internet Comes in Peace!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
It seems that Obama taking this preemptive step is another sign that he (or at least his advisors) are rather intelligent.....a good thing I suppose.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The action his campaign is taking is both logical and prudent. Their presence here should be a given. Perhaps they'll learn something; like not everyone on the internet in forums like these is a loon, or interested in their partisan games.

The use of the term 'slur' is revealing in and of itself, need I elaborate?

Evey action taken and publicized like this must be taken as another building block being chipped out and prepared for future use in some declaration or other regarding another candidates' activities.

I hate the storm thats approaching, it will be one of partisan bias, misdirection, 'marketeering' and 'MBA' mentality. Sad really.

We Americans have so much important work to do - and they'll be playing the game for the 'sound bites' and 'zeitgeist imagery'.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Out on the internet fighting 'slurs' eh?

More like - Out on the internet fighting fires and fighting the truth about Obama from being seen.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Well I don't consider myself a "cybernaut", but I am a supporter and will do what I can against the crack team of McLamoes that have invaded our space.

Do you think Obama pays well? I should apply.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

not directed at you

but could someone tell me why if he is a Muslim would he attend church
and even have to say several times hes not Muslim.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

With all the pro-Obama posters showing up here lately and the rabidness of people defending him, plus threads being started that suggest anyone criticizing Obama is doing it because they are racist, it makes me wonder if some of this "crack team of cybernauts" isn't already operating here.

www.timesonline.co.uk

I think you have mistaken what people think is racist.

Given that the major differences between Obama and Clinton are surrounding Persona and Campaign Tactics, the feeling is that anyone who is moving from supporting Clinton to supporting McCain, surely must be doing it for prejudicial reasons, as there are very little differences in the way of policy.

Everyone of us Obama Supporters welcome reasonable and educated debate. It's when the debaters start acting like freepers that a problem starts. For example, when people call him a Muslim, or say he's soft on Terrorism, or that his wife hates America, etc.

All of that is bunk. Now I expect some people who "want" to believe the malarkey will continue those slurs. But I have to admit, I am thankful for McCain and Obama's pledge to keep this campaign about the issues, and steer clear of spreading fear.

That's really the crux of what this campaign is about on both sides, muzzling the fear mongers who peddle in ambiguities. McCain has already marginalized the far right and pundits like Bill Cunningham. And Obama has done the same by leaving his Church.

Yes, when there is racism or reverse-sexism being used (Ferraro) we will call it out. But right now, the only racist overtone in the campaign today is that of the Clintonites who have decided to support McCain. You really can't spell this out as a rational choice based on the issues and policy. Which leaves only two options, prejudice or mental disorder of some kind.

I don't think we are seeing any racism really from the republican side, for now.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Quazga]

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Out on the internet fighting 'slurs' eh?

More like - Out on the internet fighting fires and fighting the truth about Obama from being seen.

What truth? We Welcome the truth.

What we don't welcome is fear mongered ambiguities which are false.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee

The man is applying for a job. A very important job. He is and must stand up under a microscope.

I agree wholeheartedly. Let's make sure though, that the microscope isn't blurred by irrational fear and untrue allegations which are over-sensationalized. From either side!.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
So these Obama internet police are going to run around defending HIS version of whatever "truth" comes out about him. How are we supposed to know who they are? These "lies" about it him could very well be true for all anyone knows except ofcourse BO so we should except his every word like a bunch of gullible zombies, their just intent on harassing free speech. I havn't seen people say he is muslim only that it bothers them that he has that connection and the only people I've seen throwing his race around are the people defending him. I find this deceitful and very Communist China of him.

"Run now my little minions, spread the word, there is no truth unless we acknowledge that truth"

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sheeper
So these Obama internet police are going to run around defending HIS version of whatever "truth" comes out about him. How are we supposed to know who they are? These "lies" about it him could very well be true for all anyone knows except ofcourse BO so we should except his every word like a bunch of gullible zombies, their just intent on harassing free speech. I havn't seen people say he is muslim only that it bothers them that he has that connection and the only people I've seen throwing his race around are the people defending him. I find this deceitful and very Communist China of him.

"Run now my little minions, spread the word, there is no truth unless we acknowledge that truth"

It's not an attempt at hassling free speech!

Have you seen the false allegations which have been leveled at him? What would you have his campaign do? Sit back and let people call him a muslim and say his wife hates America?

What has the Obama campaigners said about McCain? Simply that he is tied to the Bush Policies. Which is bad enough from a policy standpoint.

Don't you support Obama's right to defend his own name against crazy allegations?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Quazga,

...the feeling is that anyone who is moving from supporting Clinton to supporting McCain, surely must be doing it for prejudicial reasons...

I find this supposition a bit presumptuous. One would have to assume that the only difference is race, is that your assertion? Seems like a 'racist' perception begetting a 'racist' perception.

For example, when people call him a Muslim, or say he's soft on Terrorism, or that his wife hates America, etc.
All of that is bunk. Now I expect some people who "want" to believe the malarkey will continue those slurs.

We all know that this is bunk simply because the political couching of the accusation makes it self-evident. Frankly his wife hating 'America' is one of those claims that so smacks of a partisan jab that it hardly merits considering. Also, since when is being called a Muslim, soft on terrorism (whatever THAT's supposed to mean) a 'slur'?

I understand that you are intent on addressing lies, but ambiguities are not lies, they are issues that beg the questioner for resolution. I understand the campaign needs to be proactive addressing these things, but I hope they have as their mandate and practice the honorable path of identifying themselves as they pursue their goal.

Forums such as these have been plagued by covert presences before, and frankly, it paints a poor image for the candidate, especially if the truth is discovered sans self-disclosure.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Quazga

Well there in lies the hassling of free speach part, most of the allegations are only classified as "false" by people like you, I never gave that classification, what about people like me that take this serious, people that believe MO does hate America, well now she is proud for the first time, that is not something you deem false or true, these are my opinions and TY if I keep them, I understand going after racists, but the only ones I see using his race are the people defending him. Besides most of the "false" allegations arn't false, he did go to that church for 20 years, his wife did write that racist college thesis and did say that crap, BO did call white people "typical" and "bitter", he did do these things to instill this hostility in me, these are not false to me and I don't like the idea of a fascist internet police intent on spinning their own "truth". Where is the public display of free speech if we may or may not be talking to someone that has a preset agenda.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Sheeper]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join