It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: One-Fourth Of NYC Residents Have Herpes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well, obviously we were both ignorant of the stats. Thanks for looking them up.

[edit on 6/10/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Well, obviously we were both ignorant of the stats. Thanks for looking them up.

You're very welcome.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Just a guess, but maybe it is because it is genital herpes, and homosexual sex consist of less genital to genital contact. (Or maybe not, anyone who wants to elaborate feel free) However it seems to me that there is more mouth to genital contact, and genital to rectal contact. Perhaps the lack of sustained genital to genital contact makes transmission somewhat less effective.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

reply to post by Buck Division

Good point. In case anyone missed it, certain types of sexual acts are more prone to infectious disease transmission than others. Regardless of sexual orientation, but of which act is likely to be more prevelant in the gay male community.

true, as ive said in another post re HIV

its very easy for a man to give a woman HIV
its very very easy for a man to give a man HIV
its not as easy for a woman to give a man HIV
and very very hard for a woman to give woman HIV

not saying there arent special cases, but statistics have shows
reagardless unprotected sex with an infected person is just dumb and too risky, even sex in general unprotected is not good

I worked in HIV/AIDS care for over 5 years

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Another interesting little Herpes factoid.

The entire article can be read here;

www.umm.edu...

Everyone is at risk for herpes simplex virus. According to the latest U.S. data from 1999 - 2004, 57.7% of Americans ages 14 – 49 years are infected with the HSV-1 virus, the main cause of oral herpes and some cases of genital herpes. About 17% of Americans in the same age range test positive for the HSV-2 virus, the main cause of genital herpes. Infection rates for both viruses have declined since the late 1980s. However, infection is lifelong, so once a person is infected, he or she remains infected.

Apparently, one can contract Herpes in the genital area from the strain that usually only manifests as a cold sore. Eek.

Edit to correct an error in using the external source.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   

reply to post by Buck Division

Well, don't count me among those who maybe subconciously thinks anyone deserves it. If anything, I would be more concerned for any group that might, for whatever reason, be more likely to have troubles.

Absolutely. I gathered that from your other posts Jack.

What I was thinking of in particular was a friend of mine who had a really bad motorcycle accident about a year ago (she's now okay). I was shocked at all the people who dismissed it as "her fault" for choosing to ride a motorcycle.

I don't think they would have felt the same way if they could have seen the wretched pain she was in. No one deserves that type of punishment for any reason.

That is similar to the topic at hand, in a way.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Holy crap, you can have genital Herpes and not even know it.

Article here at the CDC website;

www.cdc.gov...

Most people infected with HSV-2 are not aware of their infection. However, if signs and symptoms occur during the first outbreak, they can be quite pronounced. The first outbreak usually occurs within two weeks after the virus is transmitted, and the sores typically heal within two to four weeks. Other signs and symptoms during the primary episode may include a second crop of sores, and flu-like symptoms, including fever and swollen glands. However, most individuals with HSV-2 infection never have sores, or they have very mild signs that they do not even notice or that they mistake for insect bites or another skin condition.

I am guessing the "other skin condition" might be a pimple.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
That's a burning issue that needs to be addressed.

As far as i am concerned, i think you have just scratched the surface....

I would hate to know actual numbers world wide of people with STDs. I think we would be shocked?! Would make you look at someone differently that you pass in the passage at the office LOL

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I have a few gay friends, mainly from work. The men are afraid to act sick for fear of being stigmatized, so to prove that they're "clean" they engage in all kinds of horribly risky behaviors. I swear, they really scare me.
There's no telling what's raging through the veins of people these days.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by uplander
reply to post by jackinthebox

I have a few gay friends, mainly from work. The men are afraid to act sick for fear of being stigmatized, so to prove that they're "clean" they engage in all kinds of horribly risky behaviors. I swear, they really scare me.
There's no telling what's raging through the veins of people these days.

So "they" scare you and yet you call them your friends. I wonder if they'd feel the same way about you if they were aware of your fears?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I hope the infected are getting some kind of medical help. I read somewhere that many infected people have more than one std. If this is true, then there would seem to be some urgency in getting proper healthcare. Also, please use a condom.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
For those reading this thread and may have herpes, I think they're getting closer to a cure. I remember hearing on the news last year they have already figured out why herpes won't go away, where the related chicken pox virus and some other viruses do. IIf I remember correctly it's something the virus does to stop your body's natural defense from destroying it. I can't remember the exact process though. So it's just a matter of time to figure out how to fix this problem and your body's defense system will naturally defeat the virus and it will go away for good. Herpes is quite a clever virus really in the way it defeats your body's natural defenses, but hopefully that will change soon and you can write off herpes just like a common cold. Sorry, I can't find a link to this info.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

The data come from the city's Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, which used door-to-door interviews and in-person medical exams to assess the health of New Yorkers on a variety of measures, from diabetes to depression, according to the department.

The study was the city's first measurement of those infected with the virus

As usual I object to the headline (attention grabber, no?)

It should say "1/4th of all NYC residents 'interviewed or examined' have herpes." - I know they didn't ask anyone I am aware of.

Also note that despite their claims of the variation of the infection rate over time, this was the first time they've measured herpes.

It changes the story a bit no?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Chicken pox and shingles are common afflictions caused by herpes viruses. The one causing genital herpes is similar (at times identical) to the virus causing the ordinary cold sores people get on their lips. But when herpes afflicts the genitals, the sufferer has usually (but not always) contracted the virus in a specific way: by sexual contact with another herpes victim.

Three to seven days after exposure to herpes, the infected one notices a burning or tingling sensation in the genital area—the herald of painful, fluid-filled blisters. The sores work their torment for two to six weeks before healing. But herpes does not go away. Doctors say it merely beats a retreat, via nerve pathways, to nerve clusters at the base of the spine. There it lies dormant until something (such as stress) triggers a reactivation of the virus. Awakened, it travels the nerve pathways back to the skin and begins the misery cycle all over again.

Currently, there is no "Cure" for herpes. Why doesn’t the body’s immune system simply crush the irritating herpes virus? Doctors say that herpes escapes such a fate by attaching itself to a cell, penetrating its outer membrane and hiding therein. Safely inside, it swiftly commandeers control of the cell’s “brain,” turning the cell into a veritable herpes factory! From 80,000 to 120,000 new viruses are created within three to five hours. The cell wall then bursts open, allowing an army of dangerous particles to flow into the bloodstream and infect yet other cells.

You can thus see why doctors say that herpes is so tough to kill. A cure would somehow have to penetrate infected cells to kill the virus. Or it would have to kill infected cells without destroying healthy ones. Little wonder that medical science is thus far stumped.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Premarital sex & multiple sex partners are key factors in the spread on this and other STD's. Too bad that so many people today lack the self control to abstain from fornication as commanded in the Bible.

I know it is not politically correct to say so but this is the best answer to to this problem.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Oh dear, looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

As much as I dislike the bible that probably is the most simple solution to this. Why can't we just keep it in our pants. If humans could show a little self control than maybe we wouldn't have this problem.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
reply to post by Sparky63

Why can't we just keep it in our pants. If humans could show a little self control than maybe we wouldn't have this problem.

Keep it in my pants, you think I wanted to be probed?

Mod Note: One Line / Off Topic Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Sex is completely natural. Trying to curb these most powerful of human drives will lead to mental disorder/disease.

STD's are natural population control.

So take your pick. Disease of the mind or disease fo the flesh.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Trying to curb these most powerful of human drives will lead to mental disorder/disease.

My wife and I never had sex until we were 21 and marrried. We've been married for 25 years now and have 4 kids. So far my wife shows no signs of mental Illness due to remaining chaste until marriage. My wife thinks I am a little crazy but thats probably due to staying up all night surfing on ATS instead of snuggling with her under the covers.

I should add that we have never been unfaithful to each other. That would kind of negate the purpose of not having sex before marriage.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by Sparky63]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join