It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 300,000 Child Soldiers Worldwide; Third of them Girls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
In a study, the United Nations estimates that there are about 300,000 child soldiers worldwide. A third of all children soldiers are girls under the age of 18. Girls become part of fighting forces in many countries for reasons such as recruitment, abduction, making money, escaping violence or abuse in their communities and homes.

Girls Took Part in Conflicts in 38 Nations Since 1990, New Study Says
"Girls associated with armed groups have traditionally been seen as "sexual slaves" or "camp followers," the authors of the study said. Girls have many other roles from combat soldiers, slave laborers, spies and informants to messengers, cooks, porters, thieves and suicide bombers."

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I just saw a report on the local news regarding this. One of our soldiers came home and was talking about how the violence will effect him in the years to come and he said one of the most disturbing things he saw was a little girl who had been in the area for a couple days and they weren't really paying much attention to her but as she started approaching them the bomb she was concealing exploded. He said she wasn't more than 7 or 8 years old.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
i am all for equal rights for women, but it disgusts me that children both boys and girls have to resort to joining rebel groups and military in order to "survive" in their communities. read the part about them being "sex slaves":shk:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
i have the answer.......

the u.n. should make laws regarding who a soldier can be..that should do the trick.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The UN has very specific guidelines as to who is a soldier and who is a non-combatant. Unfortunately, we all know how many people listen to the UN...

DE

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
maby the U.N should come up with some sort of mind control to control evil people

just kidding

top topics

join