It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Maps a Nationwide Push in G.O.P. Strongholds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Obama Maps a Nationwide Push in G.O.P. Strongholds

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON — Senator Barack Obama’s general election plan calls for broadening the electoral map by challenging Senator John McCain in typically Republican states — from North Carolina to Missouri to Montana — as Mr. Obama seeks to take advantage of voter turnout operations built in nearly 50 states in the long Democratic nomination battle, aides said.

On Monday, Mr. Obama will travel to North Carolina — a state that has not voted for a Democratic presidential candidate in 32 years — to start a two-week tour of speeches, town hall forums and other appearances intended to highlight differences with Mr. McCain on the economy. From there, he heads to Missouri, which last voted for a Democrat in 1996. His first campaign swing after securing the Democratic presidential nomination last week was to Virginia, which last voted Democratic in 1964.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is in direct contradiction to an analysis I read in the local paper today claiming that both candidates would focus on their core states.

If the Obama campaign intends to seriously challenge McCain in every state as opposed to the so-called 15 swing states... its a bold approach and a potentially crippling one for McCain since his operation is seriously lacking in funds compared to Obama's reported $228 million war chest.

Also given the fact that Obama has made it clear that he is not going to bend over and take any attempts to swift boat him like John Kerry did in 2004... promises that he is going to be a serious opponent.

Good for him.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Interesting and gutsy strategy.. I don't think McCain could stand a chance trying the same thing with democrat voters, there's too much of a divide. But a lot of Republicans are disenchanted with their party's uncontrolled spending and could stay home or vote democrat just to send a message.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Given the disparity of finances it could also have the effect of essentially bankrupting the McCain campaign.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Obama plans to campaign in all 50 states?

Which 7 states is he leaving out?

Great move by Obama! That way when he loses the electoral college, he can proudly whine and complain that he won the popular vote.

That will make 2 out of 4 Presidential elections the winner of the popular vote loses the Presidency. This leads to a huge movement to abolish the Electoral College, and to move the United States to a strict Democracy, something that is totally against the Constitution.

Obama will not be President, but will go down in history as a hero in the Democrat party, since from then on Democrats will only have to campaign in the 10-15 most populous states, and ensures them victories in numerous elections to come, all at the expense of the Constitution.

[edit on 9-6-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is certainly a bold move on Obama's part. He should be commended to literally taking the bull by the horns in Republican-loyal states. At the very least he will be viewed as a worthy and fearless opponent.

As things now stand, the Republicans are struggling just to maintain ground. I can see Obama making gains (even if only token) in these states. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
For whatever it's worth, I think Obama's plan is a direct response to McCain already doing this in blue states. McCain has been airing television ads here in PA for the last two weeks. I thought it was very odd that McCain would be airing ads here in June.

I think McCain has a much better chance of going after Obama in blue collar Democratic states than Obama has in red states. Other than his rhetoric, Obama really offers nothing of substance to those inclined to vote Republican. And unlike conservative Republicans, McCain offers moderate Democrats a legitimate alternative to the far-left leaning Obama.

Remember, all money is good for is buying ad time. No amount of ad time is going to convince a conservative to vote for Obama. Do you really think any Obama ad is going to convince a Republican to vote for higher taxes, more government control of health care, liberal Supreme Court judges, surrendering in Iraq, more taxes to pay to reduce poverty in Africa, or higher taxes to reduce global warming? Not likely.

Obama would be better served by spending every day in Ohio and spending every last dollar he has to win Ohio.

[edit on 9-6-2008 by jamie83]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I see Obama's reasoning. North Carolina and Virginia are states he won big in the primaries, maybe even big enough to be able to challenge the Republicans in November. It's about time the south returned to its traditionally Democratic and often populist roots. As a North Carolinian, I will be cheering him on.

new topics

top topics

join