It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The U.S. civil war...who was right?n or s?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
So whos side are you on?? Your probably on the Federal side[the north].

But after I became interested in the civil war I think that I am now in favor of what the south was really fighting for....."The rights of the states"

The civil war was about the federal government trying to control all the states and the south was not to excited about the idea of complete Federal control..thus we had a war.

Although slavery is involved I believe even if the south would have won slavery would have ended anyway.[thats another subject]

So who was right??? The south or the North?

Please help me with your views on the civil war.

[Edited on 3-3-2004 by McGotti]

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I would be for the South for the reasons you stated.....States rights.

It was never about slavery which was dying out all over the world anyhow and wouldnt have lasted more than a few more years anyway.

The Union victory gave us what we have today BIG GOVERNMENT.

And for the record I am against slavery

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
you really cant call each right or wrong.

north wanted to end slavery and the leaving of the south and responded when fort sumptner was attacked

the south was just protecting their homes

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This is a tough and complicated situation that is not easily understood.

From what I have read and understood, I agree with the Union.

The south wanted all untermed power to go to the states, to include railroad, road, etc.

Slavery is often said to be the cause, and in some respects, it is.

But regardless, the south commited treason when they could have worked within the government.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

But regardless, the south commited treason when they could have worked within the government.

Did America commit treason for rebeling against England?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Did America commit treason for rebeling against England?

Yes, we did. We commited treason against England. But we won. History is written by the victors.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I believe that after the North won the war ..thats the day that america stopped being what america was really supposed to be according to the founding fathers..

Freedom stopped ringing that day foreward in america....

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Care to qualify that statement a little more?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   

History is written by the victors.

My point exactly if we had won they would have been heroes and to some of us they still are. As mcgotti said the america of our founding fathers died with the surrender of the south

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Its funny the war to "end slavery" put us on the road to becoming a nation of slaves.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Care to qualify that statement a little more?

Well after the north won we became a nation inslaved to the will of the federal government.No longer were states able to make their own decision....Its a forced compliance

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
True enough, but that is not always bad.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Your right,in the case of slavery people may have benifited from federal control[but that is a some what complicated issue]

I feel that most of the problems everybody complains about the government are directly attributed to the federal govenmnet control..

we are no longer a nation of the people...we are a nation of the federal governments rule over us unconditionally..you have no choice..no freedom

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Both were wrong. The South didn't show up when Lincoln was elected. The North didn't show up because the South didn't. The Legislature was dissolved, Sine Die. Our form of government died. While the South may have been angry about States Rights, and rightfully so, the only way to preserve it was through the very government that died because of lack of participation.
The South did not properly document their new government nor was their financial backing worth a flip, so it was doomed at the onset. It accomplished nothing.

Lincoln had intentions of restoring the Republic but was killed by those who liked the power given by martial law (martial rule) to the government and the money controllers. Because of this we have a democracy now, or military controlled mob rule.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
from a legal stand point, the south was exercising their right to suceed(spl? sorry - I am dylexic and a poor speller) and so were well within their rights.

from an ethical point of view, it was a good thing

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
TC...all I know about the killing of AAbe lincoln was that it was done by an anarchist...but the very fact that he yelled that out after he killed him makes me wonder if it was a set up from the beggining..

So you think that the people lost moral and social control the day lincoln died??

it makes sense

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I used to be facinated by the Civil War. Hell I even had all the Time-Life books. So I've thought ALOT about it.

States Rights.....yes the Civil War was about state's rights. States' rights to keep slaves (along with other things). All that matters in my mind is the fact that they (the people who started the rebellion) wanted to keep slaves. So # states rights.

I'll be perfectly honest with you. If I could somehow go back in time and control the Union side, I would have utterly crushed the South and made reconstruction look like a freaking picnic. The soliders would have NEVER left, thereby preventing those bastards from oppressing former slaves again. But that's just me....I can be bitter.

Oh, and I also wish the British had won the Revolutionary War. Democracy would have developed on it's own. It already was. The United States would have eventually been founded, it would just be more like Canada or Australia. This way the Natives MIGHT have been spared the holocaust they suffered.

[Edited on 3/3/2004 by Flinx]

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The war was not started becuase of slavery..seems like those time life books ripped you off becuase you dont seem to be up on your facts

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by McGotti
The war was not started becuase of slavery..seems like those time life books ripped you off becuase you dont seem to be up on your facts

(sigh) Why don't you enlighten me then?

As far as I know it was started by rebel scum shelling Fr. Sumter.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I "sigh" aswell when I see people that dont even know there history....

Ill have to look it up so I have a link so I cant be called a liar...

"Slavery "was the reason for the war about as much as "Iraqi freedom" had to do with the war in iraq.It was merely a side effect..not the reason.It was just touted as the reason...much like how iraqi freedom were used to justify the war even though it was about terrorism[or politics and money..
]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join