It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton suspends her historic presidential bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Clinton suspends her historic presidential bid

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton ended her historic campaign for the presidency on Saturday and told supporters to unite behind rival Barack Obama, closing out a race that was as grueling as it was groundbreaking.

The former first lady, who as recently as Tuesday declared herself the strongest candidate, gave Obama an unqualified endorsement and pivoted from her role as determined foe to absolute ally.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
She certainly gave Barack Obama a full thumbs-up as she ducked out.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Did she pledge her delegates to Obama? There was some talk that she might keep them uncommitted for now.

Edit typo

[edit on 7-6-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The timing here, coinciding with the Bilderberg meeting, cannot be ignored or the signifcance overstated in my opinion. Here is an article that goes along with this, telling about a meeting between Obama and Clinton on Thursday...

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Not officially, it doesn't appear so. But it would be political suicide if she doesn't though. Not only for her, but for her party.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Notice that suspending her campaign does not equal conceding the race. What Hillary has done is give as much conciliation as needed to get the drop out army off her back. For people to continue to publicly press her to concede after this will only make the DNC machine look worse than it already does. If Obama continues on his slide in popularity, Hillary can still step up in August by getting enough super delegates to change their vote, and take the nomination. I think this is Hillary's best route. Considering that neither candidate can clinch without super delegates, and that the popular vote was essentially a virtual tie, Hillary can still take the Nom in August.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

My brother and I both talked about the difference between suspending and dropping out. This is a huge slap in the face to Obama, and it shows what Clinton's idea of "throwing her full support " really is. When Romney did it, it was still early in the campaign. Hence Huckabee had to drop out. (he couldn't suspend it, it would be embarrassing for Mccain.) But not good ol' Hillary...

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I have said all along that it's not over until the convention. All of this voting and fighting for delegates doesn't mean a thing really. It all comes down to the convention. I learned that when I studied FDR.

And this whole thing with the Bilderberg meeting coinciding exactly with all of this really leaves a hole in the pit of my stomach.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
reply to post by poet1b

My brother and I both talked about the difference between suspending and dropping out. This is a huge slap in the face to Obama, and it shows what Clinton's idea of "throwing her full support " really is. When Romney did it, it was still early in the campaign. Hence Huckabee had to drop out. (he couldn't suspend it, it would be embarrassing for Mccain.) But not good ol' Hillary...

I was talking about the same thing with my family. I really wouldnt expect anything less from the Klintons. She is behind the scenes plotting Obamas demise right now.

Its also pure BS that she blames the 'glass ceiling' for her not being president. Dont admit you ran a poor campaign, dont admit you were beaten by a better person, just blame it on sexism, that always works.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Why should Hillary drop out, Obama hasn't won the primary. His win depends on super delegates who have until the convention to make their selection, irregardless of who they are backing now. Obama has had the backing of the DNC, big media, and the repubs who prefer him as the candidate to face in the general, yet Obama failed to win the votes to put him over the top. Right now it is all party politics, and the disenfranchisement of Florida and Michigan put machine politics into the game before it even began.

Obama's popularity has been in decline since February. If by August it becomes clear that Obama has no chance to win, and Hillary does, then it would be foolish not to give Hillary the Nomination, after all, she is the candidate who got the most votes. It ain't over til it's over.

[edit on 8-6-2008 by poet1b]

top topics

join