It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Troops get high-tech noisemaker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
NEW YORK (AP) -- U.S. soldiers in Iraq have new gear for dispersing hostile crowds and warding off potential enemy combatants. It blasts earsplitting noise in a directed beam.

The equipment, called a Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD, is a so-called "non-lethal weapon" developed after the 2000 attack on the USS Cole off Yemen as a way to keep operators of small boats from approaching U.S. warships.

The devices have been used on some U.S. ships since last summer as part of a suite of protection devices.

Now, the Army and Marines have added this auditory barrage dispenser to their arms ensembles. Troops in Fallujah, a center of insurgency west of Baghdad, and other areas of central Iraq in particular often deal with crowds in which lethal foes intermingle with non-hostile civilians.

The developer of the LRAD, American Technology Corp. of San Diego, recently got a $1.1 million contract from the U.S. Marine Corps to buy the gadgets for units deployed to Iraq. The Army also sent LRADs to Iraq to test on vehicles.

Some of the Iraq-bound devices will be used by members of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force and the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, both recently deployed to the western province of Al Anbar, a largely barren, predominantly Sunni Muslim area.

Though not officially part of the military's Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate, the 45-pound, dish-shaped device belongs to a developing arsenal of technologies intended not to kill but to deter.

rest of article....
www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Anything that can both keep our boys safe and reduce innocent casualties is OK in my book.

It's really a Catch-22 over there, with combatants minglign with bystanders. We can't really espect our soldiers to stand idly by and get shot, but we also expect them not to fire into crowds of civilians. Something like this will help them sort out both issues.

Sure, long-term exposure can lead to hearing damage. But short-term exposure to a bullet is much worse.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ah yes, I was watching a television show on this a few months back. Its very neat how it works, and I wouldnt mind having one to go around town with
MUAHAHA....have you also heard of the laser beam type thing that heats your body up extremely fast...its another crowd controll device that they were showing...all really neat in my book

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
That's cool...anyone know if they're for sale?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Now will you still be saying, "...cool!" after it's turned against you to enslave you by the NWO?

Watch, it will happen, within our lifetime. Maybe even the Police will use it upon "rowdy" protesters.

Is it cool when it's used upon your fellow peers?

I say, this weapon, is NOT cool. And wish America would return to a time, where it was not being steered by the NWO elitists!

Why have the Americans given up to the NWO?

The battles against the elite bankers/NWO crownies seem dead.

We use to fight any "centralization", now we WANT IT?! To what, save more money?

Right. Has government made taxes go up? or down? over the last 100 years.

That's what i thought.

Back to the topic (somewhat)

A member above posted about a laser that "heats up your body"

NOTHING MORE HUMANE THEN BEING COOKED ALIVE!

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Here's another version I stumbled on,

SOUTH POMFRET, Vt. - Marines arriving in Iraq this month as part of a massive troop rotation will bring with them a high-tech weapon never before used in combat - or in peacekeeping. The device is a powerful megaphone the size of a satellite dish that can deliver recorded warnings in Arabic and, on command, emit a piercing tone so excruciating to humans, its boosters say, that it causes crowds to disperse, clears buildings and repels intruders.

"[For] most people, even if they plug their ears, [the device] will produce the equivalent of an instant migraine," says Woody Norris, chairman of American Technology Corp., the San Diego firm that produces the weapon. "It will knock [some people] on their knees."

American Technology says its new product "is designed to determine intent, change behavior and support various rules of engagement." The company is careful in its public relations not to refer to the megaphone as a weapon, or to dwell on the debilitating pain American forces will be able to deliver with it. The military has been equally reticent on the subject.

and this is thr part I like the best

Last month, the Council on Foreign Relations issued a task force report on nonlethal weapons, arguing that their widespread availability might have helped in the immediate post-combat period in Iraq to reduce looting and sabotage. The council threw its weight behind greater investment in these technologies partly based on a Joint Chiefs of Staff "mission needs statement" signed last December. "U.S. military forces lack the ability to engage targets located where the application of lethal [weapon fire] would be counterproductive to overall campaign objectives," the Joint Chiefs concluded

www.defense-aerospace.com...
modele.pl?session=dae.3301371.1078866848&prod
=35072&modele=feature

Sounds great, doesn't.

new topics

top topics

join