It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM developing tiny cooling pipes for chips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

IBM developing tiny cooling pipes for chips

www.msnbc.msn.com

In fact, in a future microprocessor design IBM is exploring — in which chips are stacked vertically to save space and enhance performance, rather than arrayed next to each other — the heat-to-volume ratio exceeds that of a nuclear reactor.

To address that, IBM researchers say they could pipe water in between chips that are sandwiched together. The system, which IBM planned to explain Thursday at a technical conference, uses pipes that are just 50 microns wide — 50 millionths of a meter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ap.google.com
www.allheadlinenews.com

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hearing about things like this is really cool to all of us who use computers. The tiny pipes are one neat thing for the cooling, then stacking the chips is something that has not been done so far as I know. that just makes me wonder. If the chips are stacked fore efishency and space, what will the next generation note book computer look like?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Good job IBM! I applaud you for your efforts to create a better chip, that will not overheat, when placed inside of humans....I mean, computers!

I can't take this story at face value when it involves a company who assisted in the branding of Jews in Nazi Germany.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Until an interface capable of replacing the keyboard is developed, I don't really see the current laptop footprint changing much. A keyboard can only shrink so much before it becomes difficult to type on.

Someday, voice technology will inevitably replace our keyboards. Beyond that, I have no doubt that we will eventually interface the PC with our minds and not our fingers or voices.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Not to worry Novus, Intel is not far behind IBM with this design...

join