It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 2008 Electoral Void

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I did not really care for either candidate in the 2004 election and now in 2008 I really feel as if I have no one to vote for? It seems that both political parties in our beloved country have evolved into two dysfunctional entities who are more concerned with their corporate backers then they are with the well being of the citizens who they are supposed to represent. Add the fact that every time an independent party makes an attempt to establish a foot hold in the electoral process, both of the primary parties manage to eventually drown the movement out. Jesse Ventura survived his election and served as an Independent governor in the state of Minnesota from 1999 to 2003 but managed to only serve one term in office as both of the primary parties waited him out. Neither party seems to suite me anymore and I feel as if I’m left in an electoral void where none of the candidates represent me. This may sound apathetic but it may be the first time that I decide to exercise my right NOT TO VOTE. Pulling the lever lately has been all about picking the lesser of two evils and not about picking a qualified candidate. I find it hard to believe in this day and age, with all the hardships that our country has endured and all the struggles that it has faced in it’s pursuit for democracy and freedom, that a third independent political party is unable to establish itself. Part of the American Dream has always been about open markets and fair competition but I guess that two primary parties prefer their monopoly on the system. Have we come full circle in a little over 200 years where this democratic republic of ours is corrupted to the point where we must once again fight for fair representation?

Any thoughts on the absence of a major third party in the electoral process?

[edit on 4-6-2008 by En4cer]

[edit on 4-6-2008 by En4cer]

new topics

join