It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain-Clinton 08? What?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Some very odd rumblings are going around.

The possibility that John McCain may be courting Senator Clinton as his running mate. Personally I'm not sure but I would love to hear what ATS thinks about the idea and the possiblity of it.

The excerpt below is from today and when you place it into context, well its pretty odd.

McCain lavishes praise on Hillary, says she's inspired American women
"I think the few of us who have been around politics for a while learned a lesson way back in 1992: that you better not count a Clinton out of any race."

I get the sense that this isn't the last time McCain will offer a bouquet to Clinton as her voters start to ponder where they'll go in November.

www.politico.com...

[edit on 3/6/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

He's going after her supporters with that, but I can't imagine that he's dumb enough to choose Hillary as his VP. I know its been thrown out there before, but there's no way I can ever see it happening. If he did, he would completely destroy the tenuous truce that has existed for the last month or two between himself and the conservative base. If he loses them, its all over and the reality is that they would defect or stay home in massive numbers, much larger than would be offset by, in the best case, the 50% or so of current Hillary supporters that joined the ticket.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by vor78]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
mccain, obama clinton...what is the difference. one in the same if you ask me. so i see no problem with this scenario.

i am keeping my hopes up for 2010 elections so we can win the house back!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

He's going after her supporters with that, but I can't imagine that he's dumb enough to choose Hillary as his VP. I know its been thrown out there before, but there's no way I can ever see it happening. If he did, he would completely destroy the tenuous truce that has existed for the last month or two between himself and the conservative base. If he loses them, its all over and the reality is that they would defect or stay home in massive numbers, much larger than would be offset by, in the best case, the 50% or so of current Hillary supporters that joined the ticket.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by vor78]

He doesn't have to go after her supporters. Most of them, myself included, would vote for him to keep Obama out of the White House!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Wait! I didn't know a party could cross over and nominate someone into a vice-presidential seat. But I feel that this won't be possible. I just don't see this McCain-Clinton ticket happening in 2008. But I've read elsewhere that the Clintons are buddies with the Bush family, who has been helping McCain raise some funds for his bid as the next president of the United States. (I'm reading so much on politics. It's hard to keep track of stuff, really).

[edit on 2008-6-03 by pikypiky]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

During the last election if memory serves me right, John Kerry tried to get McCain to be his runningmate before getting Sen. Lieberman who is good friends with McCain.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
whomever picks her to be vp will be signing his death warrant.
the clintons wouldn't take long icing anyone standing in the way of the whitehouse. they have a long history of people having "accidents" or "suicides" going way back to their Arkansas days.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Yep, they can do that. In fact, in early US history, the Vice President was actually the 2nd place finisher in the presidential election!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I think there is a very good possibility McCain is mulling this over. They would win hands down.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Oh great...

One corner you get the Barack "the messiah" Obama.

The other corner you John "Mr Squirrelly" McCain with Hillary "mysterious deaths surround me" Clinton.

Please I hope this is another highly speculative thread about something that is impossible or I am gonna bang my head against the wall from now till November.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
At this point they should just pull a name out of a hat.

McCain Clinton makes more sense than Obama Clinton. McCain supporters have been voting for Clinton since McCain took the nomination. Limbaugh has been lobbying for her... etc.

Like blimpseeker said though, you would have to be a fool to ask her to be your VP. I wouldn't want a Clinton breathing down my neck, knowing that they wanted my job more than anything in the world.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I don't think she'd be offered the VP, but I can see her being offered a high profile position in the administration/cabinet.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by blimpseeker
i am keeping my hopes up for 2010 elections so we can win the house back!

You mean republicans? You really think they will?

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
During the last election if memory serves me right, John Kerry tried to get McCain to be his runningmate before getting Sen. Lieberman who is good friends with McCain.

I don't know about Kerry McCain, but Kerry most definitely chose Edwards as his running mate back in '04. Perhaps you're referring to Gore back in 2000?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
McCain better pray Obama and Hillary do not unite otherwise its lights out for McCain if Hillary jumps on Obama's VP ticket.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
this is great news. McPain is thinking with his thick headed skull. this would benefit all of us if he makes Hillary the VP. remember folks, it's not about republicans or democrats..it's about the people who will represent us. A democrat VP and a Republican President would rock my world, but is it legal? Maybe, perhaps. not sure about it.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

This is absolutely legal, and I have heard this rumor for a long while now. The devastating effect this would have on our "fabulous" two-party system makes this impossible, however. I doubt the two-parties are down for a nice helping of self-destruction.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by apolluwn

This is absolutely legal, and I have heard this rumor for a long while now.

do you have a source? knowing republicans, they don't like change and will never choose a democrat for a vice president. is there a law somewhere that you could link me too? I find that McPain is too wrapped up in the republican party to even consider working with any democrat. the guy is nuts!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I read a blog on the Huffington Post joking about the concept.
This has probably morphed into a rumor.

Take two beers and check the news in the morning.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

My goof, so my memory didn't serve me right.
It was Kerry though who offered McCain a VP spot. How did I forget about Edwards? Egad.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
There's no way I see McCain with Hillary, but it makes sense he would try to lure in her supporters. It'll be interesting how it plays out after she finally concedes, that is.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join