It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choice of threads to be displayed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Personally, I think it would be a very good idea to let people choose which threads are going to be displayed to them.

Lately, I have noticed that I am finding the thought of having a look at what's going on at ATS increasingly off-putting. (Initially, I couldn't wait for it!)
And the reason for that is the simple fact that, to see anything that I find interesting, I have to scan the titles of all the threads displayed.

That might seem like a minor annoyance. But the fact is the sheer ignorance and aggressiveness encapsulated in many titles - and yes, even improper punctuation and misspelling (fuzzy writing = fuzzy thoughts) - can become VERY depressing over time.
(And it's no wonder, really: if even a website with so many visitors from all over the world can show so few people equipped for a truly stimulating - not to mention respectful - discussion and exchange of opinions, then the global situation seems pretty bleak.)

Would it be possible to arrange for a feature that would enable one to personally choose the threads to be displayed?

Thanks for the attention.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Members can modify the forums displayed on the ATS "New Posts" page with the pull-down menu below:
ATS and PTS: Default, shows new posts in threads from both boards (some PTS forums excluded).
ATS Only: Specifies that only ATS threads should be shown (includes forums that appear on all boards).
myATS: Specifies that only threads from forums for which you subscribed in myATS will be shown.
ATS and myATS: Specifies that threads from ATS forums and your subscribed forums from myATS will be shown.

Click Here

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
Would it be possible to arrange for a feature that would enable one to personally choose the threads to be displayed?

Not the individual threads, but which forums are displayed can be customized:

Customization Feature and Surfing Our Sister Board BTS

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Thanks.

I am familiar with that particular feature, but - perhaps I haven't been using it correctly - it still shows all too many forums and threads that I'd really rather not see.

As I said, maybe I haven't been using it correctly. I'll look into it.
Thank you.

Meanwhile, if anyone is willing to consider enabling a feature that would show just select threads, I'd be very grateful. :-)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Oh, the irony of you complaining about poor punctuation.

If you're going to complain about something, at least make sure that you do it correctly yourself.

Peace,

MSP

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I like picking through forums and the recent topics and hunting for nuggets, that's half the fun.

I don't want just what I like to be displayed, I might miss tons of other good stuff that way, just my 2 cents.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I completely agree,

It's often amongst the madness that much of the sanity is found.

Jeez that was profound, but I hope you get what I mean.

Peace,

MSP

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
It is a bit amazing how each and every day members want the board tailored to thier own wants and desires.

It seems that features are constantly being added and new ideas formed to make this site more audience friendly, but sheez, it is never enough!

I guess everyone is different, but I do agree with the last couple of posters, generally the diamonds are found in the rough.

To limit your exposure here to certain forums would definitely limit your information intake and availability, but to each his own!

And it would be reasonable to keep in mind that many of the members english is not the first language so I am impressed with the ability to master the language as well as alot of people do! This in response to the complaint of punctuation and grammer.

Don't sweat the small stuff, oh yeah~! It's all small stuff!

[edit on 30-5-2008 by interestedalways]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I echo your sentiment...

How many english speakers could post on a spanish or french board and still make sense????

prescriptiveness sucks.

peace,

MSP

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Oh, the irony of you complaining about poor punctuation.

If you're going to complain about something, at least make sure that you do it correctly yourself.

Peace,

MSP

Would you mind elaborating on that?

I do make sure that my posts are written as correctly as possible - which is why I often edit my posts many, many times (which I am sure the moderators are acutely aware of
).

Then again, English is not my first (or second or third) language, and I am pretty sure there are mistakes in my posts. But unless somebody points them out to me, I won't be able to correct them.

More importantly, there might be simple oversights - but I am pretty sure that my posts are usually intelligible all the same. :-)

[edit on 4-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

It is a bit amazing how each and every day members want the board tailored to thier own wants and desires.

I can't (and won't) speak for others, but I know I would want to SEE the parts of the board that I choose (or rather, NOT see the threads that I don't want to).

It's not quite the same as "tailoring" the board itself, is it? :-)

[edit on 4-6-2008 by Vanitas]

new topics

top topics

join