It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childhood 'toy' revealed as ancient Persian relic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Childhood 'toy' revealed as ancient Persian relic

news.yahoo.com

LONDON (AFP) - An ancient gold cup mysteriously acquired by an English scrap metal dealer is expected to fetch close to a million dollars at auction after languishing for years in a shoe box under its current owner's bed.

Owner John Webber says his grandfather gave him the 5.5-inch (14-centimetre) high mug to play with when he was a child, back in 1945.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I love hearing stories like this. Finding treasure in the least obvious of places.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

it is quite beautiful there is no way i would sell it though

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
"Heaven knows where he got this, he never said," he added, revealing that as a child, he used the cup for target practice with his air gun."

Wow that is amazing. Can you imagine that...it was from an era before Alexander the Great!

Since it was gold one can assume that a lot of the elite probably used it over the centuries.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Since it was gold one can assume that a lot of the elite probably used it over the centuries.

Possibly, not necessarily though. Could have been lost, sitting in some pile of dirt for centuries too.

To gain an appreciation of the sort of story that could be behind any artifact, I highly recommend the movie The Red Violin.

top topics

join