It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


1965 The Year The States Stood Still

page: 1
<<   2 >>

log in


posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:22 PM
November 9th 1965 was a significant and momentous day as was the whole year in ufo related case studies if not the turning point of investigative procedures due to the huge amounts of data that was thrown into our hands with overwhelming reports from people of all walks of life scientist, teachers, doctors, policemen, armed forces, pilots, actors, and the lists goes on and on.


New York State as well as portions of six neighboring states and eastern Canada were plunged in to darkness for several hours.

Besides the loss of power, the blackout triggered sensors that placed the Mt. Weather facility (to house the president in time of nuclear attack) on red alert.

There were also a number of reports of anomalous lights, and speculation that the blackout may have been the related to UFO activity in some way.


Prior to and coincident with the blackout, there were a number of reports of unusual lights and one report from NYC of communication with alien beings:

Tidioute, PA. Two UFOs pace men in a light plane until jets pursue. Then they shoot away some forth-five minutes prior to the blackout.

At 5:20 P.M.,Enroute between Syracuse and Rochester, Renato Pacibi, conductor of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra sees a bright light in the west rapidly descend then head towards Syracuse. Moments later, word comes on the radio that the blackout had occurred.

Camillus (Near Syracuse) A housewife and three of her children reported a 'huge dome-shaped' fireball just prior to the blackout. It was seen for five minutes and as it rose over the moon and moved forward, the lights began to dim. It then moved back, disappeared in a flash, when the electricity went off.

Syracuse Herald-Journal 11-13-65

Reporting on a subsequent sighting over the Sir Adam Beck Power Plant, a newspaper reported:

"The sighting of four strange lights over the Sir Adam Beck power plant of the Ontario Hydro Electric Power commission early today revived memories of the big power blackout that hit the northeast Nov. 9, 1965.

"Moments before the lights flickered and failed all the way to New York City, people reported seeing a strange red ball hanging over the Beck plant. A pilot landing at Niagara Falls International Airport saw a weird object hovering 'over the Niagara Falls power station." (UFO's had also been reported in the area some six weeks prior.)"

At the end of the article it mentions: "After the big blackout, spokesmen for the power firms denied a strange light was spotted over the power plant on the night of Nov. 9. Since then, however, they have admitted that sightings were reported by hundreds of people."
Numerous additional reports of anomalous lights near the Syracuse area during the blackout were subsequently reported in the paper, along with speculation that some thought they may be UFO related.

Syracuse Herald-American 11-14-65

As mentioned in the excerpts below, there were also reported sightings in Manhattan and Sea Cliff (Nassau County, L.I) during the black out.

Finally, there was the odd testimony of actor Stu Whitman. Mr. Whitman claimed that a glowing UFO had hovered outside his hotel room and communicated to him telepathically, warning that the blackout had been a demonstration of their power.

The Philadelphia Daily News 12-20-65



Pilot Reported Sighting Object Before Blackout

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - A pilot says he saw a huge fireball last Tuesday night in the vicinity of the main power line from here to Niagara Falls, moments after the power failure in the northeastern United States and Ontario.

Weldon Ross of Syracuse, an employee of the Carrier Corp. and a part-time instructor-pilot, told the Syracuse Herald-American he and a student were approaching Hancock Field here "when the lights went out" Tuesday night.

"We were over the high line which runs from Clay to Niagara Falls when we saw the fire flash. It looked like a barn fire, a barn full of hay and it lasted for perhaps 10 seconds."

The New York Power Authority has two 345,000-volt lines that run from Niagara Falls to the Niagara Mohawk Power Corp. station in nearby Clay.

After the blackout, early reports said that it was possible the failure began at Clay but Niagara Mohawk officials had said their investigation indicates the Clay station was operating normal
[Some info for Knowledge--angelc01]

Electrical power is a little bit like the air you breathe: You don't really think about it until it is missing. Power is just "there," meeting your every need, constantly. It is only during a power failure, when you walk into a dark room and instinctively hit the useless light switch, that you realize how important power is in your daily life. You use it for heating, cooling, cooking, refrigeration, light, sound, computation, entertainment... Without it, life can get somewhat cumbersome.


Power travels from the power plant to your house through an amazing system called the power distribution grid

A thought came into my mind about something called >E.M. effect>angel< check this link

The application E.M. effects are being used in the present for therapy and communication devises check EM effects on the net >angel<

Here is a mainstream theory that explains a possible reason for the blackout but in view of these events we must keep an open mind >angelc01<
It took six days to locate the cause. Federal Power Commission investigators found a single faulty relay at the Sir Adam Beck Station no. 2 in Ontario, Canada, which caused a key transmission line to disconnect ("open"). This small failure triggered a sequence of escalating line overloads that quickly raced down the main trunk lines of the grid, separating major generation sources from load centers and weakening the entire system with each subsequent separation. As town after town went dark throughout the northeast, power plants in the New York City area automatically shut themselves off to prevent the surging grid from overloading their turbines. Within a quarter of an hour the entire CANUSE area was down. Investigators referred to the 1965 blackout as a "cascade effect"-much like a row of dominoes falling one after another. ["Federal Power Commision" Hmm]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:06 PM
On the night of January 12, 1965, an officer of a federal law enforcement agency had a close encounter. As he was driving his official car toward Blaine Air Force Station, in Washington, a flying disc 30 feet in diameter hurtled down at his automobile. At the last moment the disc arced up steeply, avoiding collision. When the officer jumped out, he saw the UFO hovering overhead. After a minute, it shot up into clouds at high speed. A short time afterward, the UFO - or a similar one - was seen landing in a field near Blaine, melting the snow and scorching the ground before it took off. When the AF questioned the federal officer, they said they had tracked the UFO by radar as it raced down toward his car. This officer, like many other UFO witnesses, was warned by his superiors not to let his name be used in connection with the sighting.

On January 25, 1965, two NASA engineers sighted a UFO which touch landed near Hampton, Virginia. One witness was Maj. John Nayadley, a retired AF jet pilot. The other was A. G. Crimmins, who saw the strange machine maneuvering toward the ground.

"It was zigzagging as if searching for a landing spot," said Crimmins. "I watched it through 20 x 50 binoculars and I could see flashing lights. They appeared to be on the rim of a rapidly rotating disc."

Before anyone could reach the spot, the flying disc took off and rapidly climbed out of sight.

The step-up in UFO chases was demonstrated at Washington, D.C., on January 11, 1965, when AF jets pursued several flying objects over the city. The chase was confirmed by an Army lieutenant-colonel and a group of Army communications specialists.

If jets had been near any of the "touch" sites, they might have swarmed down and kept the UFO from getting away. But records of previous attempts to capture UFOs indicate it will be a tough job.

Whether we capture a UFO or not, the search for the elusive secret will go on. The connection between gravity and electromagnetic fields may provide the key to the mystery.

Four Military Bases Affected
Another Blackout Strikes U.S., Sweeps Part of Mexico

EL PASO, Tex. (AP) - A power failure that momentarily blacked out four key U.S. military bases and plunged 1,000,000 persons into darkness in New Mexico, Texas, and Mexico has brought a federal investigation on orders of President Johnson.

The two-hour failure, triggered in El Paso, was a small-scale version of the blackout that left 30,000,000 persons in the northeastern United States and southern Ontario without power for up to 10 hours Nov. 9.

All four military bases reported they switched almost immediately to auxiliary power. But many civilian population areas were without power for more than two hours.

Authorities of El Paso Electric Company said the trouble was traced to failure of a device which regulated flow of natural gas to the two units of the company's Newman plant near New Mexico's border with Mexico.

President Johnson sent J. R. Johnson, a federal power commission engineer, to El Paso to determine what caused the device to fail and report to him.

Holloman air force base was reported without runway lights for some time.

Other bases affected in El Paso included Biggs air force base, where Strategic Air Command bombers are on constant alert, and the army's Fort Bliss, which has an air defence school for instruction of U.S. and allied troops in use of air defence missiles.

White Sands missile range in southern New Mexico, a missile development centre, also was plunged into darkness.

"The mission capability of the air force missile development centre was maintained, and combat readiness was not affected," a Holloman spokesman said.

Ironically, the president of El Paso Electric Company, Ray Lockhart, has been quoted in an El Paso newspaper as saying that a power failure such as occurred in the northeastern U.S. and southern Ontario probably couldn't occur in this area.

The blackout affected areas reaching to Van Horn, 20 miles east of El Paso, on the U.S.-Mexico border, and Socorro, N.M., about 175 miles to the north.

Juarez, Mexico, a city of 300,000 persons just across the border, also was thrown into blackness.

Power was later restored in parts of El Paso, which has a population of 350,000.

A spokesman for the El Paso Electric Co., which services much of the stricken area with electricity, said the trouble is believed to have originated in a company plant in El Paso.

Despite mounting evidence, the Federal Power Commission had predictably chosen to side-step the possible UFO connection. This omission was eventually confirmed by Dr. James E. McDonald who, as a respected scientist, was allowed to interview certain FOCI officials.

They admitted they had the Syracuse and Niagara Falls reports, also most of the others on that night. But they wouldn't discuss the UFO possibility....No matter what they believed, I think they were convinced the facts shouldn't be given to the public, and that's why they agreed to the 'broken relay' story. At any rate, _it_was_obvious_they_were_covering_up_.(19)

Under the circumstances there seems to be a strong possibility that Canadian authorities were also involved in the cover-up. Ontario Hydro-Electric Power Commission investigators, having become aware of
the UFO reports, collaborated with the FPC by exchanging information that eventually led to the 'broken relay' explanation.(20)

Furthermore, this explanation had apparently been pre-arranged and was released simultaneously in both countries.(21)

The Ontario Hydro press statement similarly neglected to include UFOs as the possible cause for the blackout.

One reputable American ufologist went so far as to point an accusing finger at the late Lester B. Pearson, then prime minister. Major Donald Keyhoe contends that:

To shift attention from the UFO explanation, the 'broken relay' story was invented. Since this could
be construed as blaming Canada, the Prime Minister must have been convinced it was best for both countries not to disclose the true situation.(22)

It that was the case, then it represents one of the most shocking deceptions ever perpetrated - leaving the heads of thirty-one utility companies and thirty million people to grope around in the dark in more ways than one!

[edit on 25-5-2008 by angelc01]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:38 PM
Hiyah Angelc01!

Your threads as usual are always so informative and a pleasure to read

1965 was a hot year for UFOs and blackouts for sure. I love the paper you put on here that documents how many sighting for each year and how many were unexplained.

There were even more in 1966, amazing.

I remember reading about the big black out in New York but I had never heard about all of those UFO sightings right before it, pretty incredible!

On January 25, 1965, two NASA engineers sighted a UFO which touch landed near Hampton, Virginia. One witness was Maj. John Nayadley, a retired AF jet pilot. The other was A. G. Crimmins, who saw the strange machine maneuvering toward the ground.

"It was zigzagging as if searching for a landing spot," said Crimmins. "I watched it through 20 x 50 binoculars and I could see flashing lights. They appeared to be on the rim of a rapidly rotating disc."

I found this story above particularly interesting since the two witnesses were NASA engineers. The description of this object seems to be much like the UFO I saw...except the one I saw was perfectly round with a row of rotating lights going around the middle of the sphere rapidly, the lights being square but in a circular band, and changing colors, from all white, to blue, orange, white and a light green. It was odd though, the square lights seemed to almost reflect all the colors in a prism, around the squared edges, so that the majority of the squares remained white as they rotated but around the edges of them you could see every color melting into the next one in the color spectrum.

I like the story of the police man right above the NASA engineer's sighting too, about how the UFO he saw was clocked on radar.

Great thread, I am going to go back and read some of it again, thanks for posting, starred and flagged!

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 10:59 PM

These are some related documents.
On the night of August 2, 1965, thousands of people in 4 midwestern states witnessed spectacular aerial displays by large formations of UFOs. That same night a multicolored disc was photographed in Tulsa, Oklahoma, while several persons watched it perform low altitude maneuvers. This picture was extensively analyzed, pronounced authentic, and later published by Life magazine and many newspapers. Some UFO researchers believe this to be a hoaxed photograph, using a Christmas tree ornament.

note--this happened three months before the B.B.[big blackout] angel--

These are infrared images of ufos taken near power lines and towers they are not from 1965 but are more recent - angelc01-



will continue

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:11 PM
reply to post by LateApexer313
Thank you LateApexer313 for your input believe me there is so much more on this that it would boggle the mind in fact I had to edit and cut most of it to fit on this thread without trying to lose the esence of most of these incedents . there are some more cases which I will post on this thread soon.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:46 PM
without meaning to sound rude , so what ?

pleae read the wiki for 2 logical falacies :

post hoc

cum hoc

there are hundreds of UFO sigtings that occured with no power cuts anywhere neer

if you select ANY arbitary date - you will discover UFO activity - your own sources even indicate that ufo reports were significantly higher the following year

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:10 AM
reply to post by angelc01

I`m baacckk!
This is what I call a great thread
!! this deserve a big star and Flag!

Keep up the exellent work Angel!!!

Cant wait for the rest of the story!!


posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:30 AM
reply to post by ignorant_ape
It is an honor to have you here ignorant_ape your opinion is well observed and believe me I understand well the differences of logical correlations and their definitions and before you jump to conclusions I still haven't finished my thread which will point out a few more incedents that are considered some of the most important occurances than 1966 or any other year. And again thank you for your enlightning comment.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:35 AM
reply to post by GUNSINWAR
Thanks Guns I will keep going even if I have to swing from one branch to the other considering all the different trees.

but this is part of the action here in our realm.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:37 AM
reply to post by angelc01

I just wanted to bump your thread, as I starred it already. I love this forum, but it is not near my area of expertise. Great research!

Oh, I grew up in the Hudson Valley, and that is considered to be the ufo hotspot of the east coast!

[edit on 26-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:42 AM
reply to post by jasonjnelson
I was just about to log out when I saw your post jasonjnelson and thanks for your interest I will make it in my best interest to inform all I can

And you can visit any time you want and ask anything ok

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:25 PM
some reports from other countries in 1965-angelc01
Argentina, Apostoles: Casimiro Zuk was riding his bicycle near a railroad crossing when he saw a luminous object above him that circled, then landed near the tracks. It was round, 5 m in diameter, and 2. 5 m high. A door opened, and a man dressed like a pilot emerged, walked around, and reentered the object, which flew off in a spiral.

Argentina, Mar del Plata: Mr. and Mrs. Yacobi heard a loud humming sound and saw a glowing, oval, flashing object land 200 m away. Figures moved around it, as if examining the craft, which took off again.

Argentina, Quilmes: R. Pereyra was driving near Monte de los Curas when he saw a parachute-like object land. Going near, he observed a chromium-looking, egg-shaped craft standing on metal legs, with a transparent upper part. A blond-haired pilot, wearing plastic coveralls and small boots, seemed to study a piece of paper. Inside the craft was another man seated before an instrument panel. Shortly thereafter the object took off.
Brazil, Pinhal: Witnesses in a Volkswagen encountered a strong light on the road. A truck and another Volkswagen arrived and went near the object, which took off suddenly and flew over them. It was also observed by dozens of witnesses at the Pinhal Junction.

Chile, Chanaral: Carlos Videla Zamudio saw a "strange machine" land on an isolated beach. It was shaped like a mushroom or a top, was lighted from inside, rested on the ground silently, flew up to 30 m, and disappeared at fantastic speed. This was the third landing on a beach reported in Jul. .

France, Valensole: Farmer Maurice Masse, 41, heard a strange noise and saw an egg-shaped object30 m away in a lavender field. The craft was set on a central pivot with six legs, was about 5 m long, and had a door showing two seats back to back. Near it were two dwarfs the size of 8-year-old children, with heads, normal human eyes, fine hands with five fingers, and no hair. They seemed surprised when the witness came near, and stopped their examination of a plant to aim a small device at him, causing inhibition of movement. They spoke among themselves in shrill sounds similar to a gargle. The craft took off and "vanished.

Mexico, Terreon: Zoilo Campos Aguilar observed an object very close to the ground for 38 min. It was semi-oval, with a powerful yellow-orange light and left rapidly toward the south with a double trail. Apparent diameter was that of the full moon. The witness was a night watchman.

New Zealand, South Brighton: A man saw a light on the beach near Penguin Street and got out of his car to observe it. He then heard a modulated whistling sound and saw an object, 7 m wide, rise from the beach to an altitude of about 20 m. He came back to the site with other persons, and a dog that became restless at a spot where grass was found flattened. Another witness, driving near Humphrey Ave. , saw the object as it rose over South Brighton.

Peru, Chosica Power Plant: Mr. Alva was awakened by a strange sound and saw an object on the ground emitting green light flashes. He woke up other employees, who had time to note that the object was about 3 m in diameter, had small windows in its upper part, and a revolving telescopic appendage. The investigating commission found dark, triangular traces

Portugal, Puerto La Cruz: The commander and crew of the Norwegian tanker "Jawesta" observed a lighted object flying out of the sea. First Officer Toronin Lien first saw a large, blue, intense flame behind the ship at high speed. He called the captain and tracked the object with binoculars as its altitude reached about 300m. Its shape was that of a cigar, with a row of lighted portholes showing a clear yellow glow, and it left a bluish trail.

By Joe Donaldson

Gazette Staff Writer


April 2, 1968; Pg. 11

The sighting of four strange lights over an area near the Sir Adam Beck power plant of the Ontario Hydro Electric Power Commission early today revived memories of the big power blackout that hit the northeast Nov. 9, 1965.
Moments before lights flickered and failed all the way to New York City, people reported seeing a strange red ball hanging over the Beck plant. A pilot landing at Niagara Falls International airport saw a weird object hovering "over a Niagara Falls power station."

Three Niagara Falls police officers saw four pulsating lights for nearly an hour about 2:15 a.m. today.

Patrolmen Thomas Shumway and William Wells watched the lights from Lewiston Road and Hyde Park Boulevard.

"They were like something I have never seen before," said Patrolman Shumway.

"They were in formation and were pulsating," said the officer. He related they pulsated red, white and blue colors.

Patrolman Richard Atkins later joined the two officers and watched the lights. He said that now and then he saw a red streak of light pass through the formation.

Patrolman Atkins said they were across the Niagara River from the Robert Moses Niagara Power Plant and near the Beck station. He estimated the lights were about 1,000 feet in the air.

Patrolman Shumway said the lights did not come from an airplane and were motionless until they suddenly shot away to the northwest and disappeared over the horizon.

The officer also said that at about 4:50 a.m. he observed a bright light traveling at a "tremendous rate of speed" shoot over the Niagara River in a northerly direction.

The officer also said that Pinkerton guards for the State Power Authority "have been seeing lights over the reservoir all week."

A spokesman for the SPA said he was unaware of any strange lights over the power facility.

"This is the first I heard of it," said William Latham, resident engineer.

A Hydro spokesman also said nothing was observed.

"There were not any unusual operating conditions," he said.

After the Nov. 9, 1965 sighting over the Beck plant, the head of a National Investigations Committee on Aerial Phenomena suggested the power blackout actually was caused by the unidentified flying object.

The power companies said the blackout was traced to a defective relay at the Beck Station.

After the big blackout, spokesmen for the power firms denied a strange light was spotted over the Beck Station the night of Nov. 9. Since then, however, they have admitted that sightings were reported by hundreds of people.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:34 PM
Each particular case during this year [1965] was unique and are still topics of discussion in the present . Though each case presents it's own scenario, but due to it's nature and situation all are related in it's intricacies and precedence.


J. Douglas Stewart's UFO was taken at 8 p.m. July 12, 1965 in Athens, Ohio, with five witnesses.

At approximately 8 PM on 12 July 1965 J. Douglas Stewart of 100 Second St. Athens Ohio took this picture with a Pentax camera with 135mm lens with a 1.8x Barlow creating a focal length of 243 mm. The film was Kodak Plus-X 35mm film, which was underdeveloped to reduce image contrast. (developed in D-76, 1:4) This entire event was witnesses by Dr. and Mrs. William. Stehr, Mrs. Claud Kantner and Mrs. Scott Wilson.

The photograph has then mentions "SIS", "Looking NNW from Athens Ohio, 12 July, 1965" and a handwritten arrow pointing up as the image here is oriented.


A glowing UFO hovered near Sherman, Texas. Broadcasting stations, police, and other agencies had been flooded with reports for hours. Television cameraman Robert Campbell was out with Patrolman Peter McCollum, interviewing witnesses and watching the objects for themselves. Campbell took a still picture of the hovering UFO, a two minute time exposure while he and the police officer watched the thing. The picture was overexposed, possibly due to the brilliance of the UFO.


On August 2, 1965, shortly after midnight, Television newsman Bob Campbell has been monitoring police calls on his radio, and two police highway patrols discuss reports of an UFO tracked on radar and streaking towards the Texas border. He left his home at 03:00am, armed with a 4x5 Speed Graphic and Tri-X film, and drove into town, where he met the Chief of Police.

Together the two men searched for the object, and soon sighted it hanging stationary thirteen miles east of Sherman, on Highway 82. Its outline was clearly defined in the north-eastern sky, and the photographer set up his camera. He took four exposures, two minutes each at three-minute intervals.

The object's shape was a cylinder with "Mercury capsule" shape at one end, possibly rounded at other end. Several distinct bands around diameter of cylinder, with disc shaped "bosses" on its surface. An extrusion of luminosity from one band, and an ejection of an unknown material accompanied the object.

The remarkable aspect of this particular incident is that, having been alerted by the same radio broadcast, several other individuals were also watching the object. Campbell and McCollum were one mile east of Bells, Oklahoma. Highway patrolman Bill Quires was watching from Durant, 30 mi north of Bells, and Department of Public Safety Dispatcher Jim Faglia was watching from a point seven miles south of Sherman, thus precluding the possibility that the object could have been a planet or a star.

The negatives have been carefully examined by Air Force scientific advisers and by astronomical experts.

No acceptable explanation has been found for the object recorded on the negatives. It must be considered a UFO.


"Flying Saucers: Serious Business", Edwards, Bantam paperback, 1966, p 165.
"The UFO Experience", Dr. J. Allen Hynek, ISBN 0-345-27361-3.
"Flying Saucers on the Attack", by Harold T.Wilkins, p 317.
"Challenge To Science", by Jacques Vallée, ISBN 0-345-27086-X, p 54.
"Flying Saucers", Lorenzen, Signet 1966, p 240

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:44 PM
Seems like the UFO's just came in for a quick recharge, got a bit greedy, crashed the grid and left.

With these crafts swiping power all over the place it is no wonder our energy prices keep going up.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 06:56 PM
Now this case Is one of my favorites, POWER LINES AND ALL >> angelc01

The St. George multiple-witnesses sighting and photograph, USA, 1965:
At 06:10 p.m. on the evening of October 21, 1965, Mr Arthur Strauch, 47, Deputy Sheriff of Sibley County, Minnesota, in the company of his wife, Mrs Katherine Strauch (44), housewife; Gary Martin Strauch (16), high school student and son of Mr. and Mrs. Strauch; Donald Martin Grewe (26), a technician, and his wife, Mrs Retha Ann Grewe (25), a registered nurse, were in the Strauch family car, returning to their homes in Gibbon, Minnessota from a bow-hunting trip.

The sun had just set and the sky was clear. The moon had not risen, and Venus was clearly visible in the southeast.

As they were two miles west and two miles north of Saint George, Arthur Strauch was the first to spot a strange object which seemed to be 2000 feet above the ground and a quarter of a mile distant, in the direction of the northwest. After watching for about ten minutes from the car, the group drove down the road about a half-mile and stopped.

Mrs Grewe, Mrs Strauch, and Gary remained inside the car, while Mr Grewe and Mr Strauch got out to observe the object. Strauch observed it both with the naked eye and through 7x35 binoculars. Thus his description was the most detailed:

"I have no idea what it was. All I can report is that it was different from anything I had ever seen in the sky. I'm positive it was a machine driven by some inner power that has tremendous speed. The outline was unmistakable through my binoculars as that of a flying saucer."

"The rounded top of the dome was a metallic-silver gray that reflected the rays of the setting sun, turning the object into a large orange ball. Surrounding the dome were four small portholes that emitted a bright yellow light. Just below the windows or ports was an area that glowed a light blue. This light seemed to be a reflection of some inner light or perhaps exhaust. From the edge of the blue light's reflection to the edge of the flat saucer-like surface the outer ring was rotating counterclockwise, causing it to throw off an aurora or halo of light that changed from orange to white with an overall tinge of blue and green. The extreme outer edge of the saucer glowed a bright orange, and this part did not move or rotate."

At first they heard no sound. But then as the object flew over them, Grewe described the sound as a "whistling whine." Strauch called it a "high-pitched whining sound, as made by an electrical motor starting up."

Strauch, from out of the car, snapped a photograph just as the object began to move. Strauch used a Kodak Instamatic 804 camera with Ektachrome X color slide film. He had the focus set at infinity, and the shutter speed was set at 1/60th of a second.


Close up on the UFO in Deputy Strauch's picture.



Drawing made by Deputy Strauch
to indicate details he visually
saw with the binoculars.

The object then moved into the wind for what appeared to be several hundred feet and then stopped for a few seconds, at which time its lights changed from a bright white to a dull orange, alternating several times.

It then moved toward the southeast at a high rate of speed and disappeared out of sight. As it passed over their head, the witnesses heard a high-pitched whining sound. Arthur Strauch said:

"I do not believe that the light went out in the machine as we lost sight of it, but rather that it had such tremendous speed that it just disappeared into space."

Testimony of the witnesses differs only in minor details, due to the investigators not checking at which phase of the sighting each estimate was given: Arthur Strauch said the object appeared as large as a quarter held at arm's length, his wife said it was much larger than the evening star; Gary Strauch said it was like a quarter held at arm's length, and so did Donald Grewe. Mrs Grewe said it was the size of "a large star."

In lack of any other explanation, in face of the multiple witnesses and the absence of any sign of photograph trickery, the famous "UFO debunker" Philip Klass claimed that Strauch photographed "a plasma formation". "Plasma" was at the time Klass' "magic powder" to explain all UFOs that he could not explain otherwise, although there is no such thing as self-sustained minutes-long manoeuvering plasma with port-holes.

A black and white reproduction of the photograph taken by Mr. Strauch, included in
the reports of the hearings at the US. House of Representatives of July 29, 1968.


This drawing was made by APRO from the indications given by Strauch.
The photograph and the drawing were supplied by the Aerial Phenomena Research
Organization to the 1968 House of Representative UFO Symposium.

In the late 90's, Lunar Models released a series of one-piece resin models based on "classic" UFO descriptions. The UFO of the St-George case, molded from Deputy Sheriff Strauch's drawing, was N.5 in the series.

Report by Coral and Jim Lorenzen, APRO, in the APRO Bulletin, USA, 1966.
"The Scientist and the UFO", paper by Frank B. Salisbury, Utah State University, in BioScience, Volume 17, #1, pp. 15-24, January 1967.
Figures in "Symposium On Unidentified Fyling Objects - Hearings before the Committee On Science and Astronautics", U.S. House of Representatives, 19th Congress Session, July 29, 1968.
Statement by Frank B. Salisbury, Utah State University, "Symposium On Unidentified Flying Objects - Hearings before the Committee On Science and Astronautics", U.S. House of Representatives, 19th Congress Session, July 29, 1968.

A few more reports from north and south of the border>> angel

Mar. 02, 1965 Brooksville (Florida). John F. Reeves, 65, retired, was
walking in the woods when he observed an object
10 m in diameter, 2m thick, saucer-shaped with an
outer rim and a stairway. After watching it for 10 min,
he saw a robotlike being, about 1.30m tall, wearing a
silver uniform, glass headgear, and then returned with a
The being walked walked to the craft, then returned with a
box that emitted a flash when pointed at the witness.
The object subsequently took off with a whistling
sound. (Atic)

Mar. 04, 1965 Corvallis (Oregon). A farmer and his employee saw
from their car three yellow-orange spheres rapidly
rising. Oily spots were found in the field. (Atic

Mar. 08, 1965 Mount Airy (Maryland). Three persons saw a cigar-
shaped object with two fixed red lights, which flew
above them, avoided hitting the house at the last
moment, and was lost to sight in the northeast. (Per-
Mar. 15, 1965 Fort Myers (Florida). In the Everglades, 30 km east of
Big Cypress, James Flynn, 45, who was hunting, saw
a huge, lighted object 1 m above the swamp surface.
He watched it for 40 min, observing that it was con-
ical, twice as wide as it was high, and seemed built
from metal sections over one square m each. It
showed four rows of square windows, 70 cm wide.
Estimated diameter: 25 m. A yellow light shone
through the windows, and the object made a sound
of a transformer and wind. Flynn got within 2 m of
it and made a gesture. A beam of light from the
underside of the object struck him between the eyes
and he lost consciousness for 24 hours. He had lost
vision in the right eye, saw poorly with the left, went
to a doctor in Fort Myers, and spent five days in the
hospital. (Fate Sep.,65)

Apr., 1965 Monte Grande (Argentina). Felipe Martinez, 37,
reported that he was paralyzed during the landing of
a silent, large, egg-shaped object, from which emerged
a small man, about 1 m tall, wearing a helmet linked
to the object by three cables. The being spoke slowly
and with difficulty in, Spanish. (Humanoids 40)

Apr. 08, 1965 Kindrae (Minnesota). A 60-year-old man saw an
object 200 m away, in the northwest at 30 m altitude.
It turned east, then left toward the south. First seen
as a single, bright light, then two luminous sources
were visible through a "door" in the object, which
appeared metallic. Radio interference was noted.


posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:49 PM
Why such an ambiguous demonstration of power? Why not something that in no way can be mistaken for a man-made or natural cause? Why leave any doubt?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:39 PM
reply to post by TheComte
That is a very good question The Comte and I like many ask themselves the same question WHY? If we use physics as a by line we can speculate that electricity and gravity are universal forces and are used through out the cosmos and most probably are understood more by outworlders than us. This of course is just a thought which others might vary in opinion because they might see it as outlandish. But then again that is why we are in this forum right? To seek and speak.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:57 PM
Some more info from 1965 angelc01
A True History of Extraterrestrial Encounters in the Golden State

By Preston Dennett


On Labor Day weekend in 1965, three hunters in Cisco Grove had a unique encounter with a UFO and its occupants. It may be the earliest authenticated California case involving a robotic UFO occupant. The main witness, Donald Smythe, became separated from his two companions while hunting, and after a long day of hunting, he became lost. When he saw a light darting back and forth above him, he assumed a helicopter had been sent to rescue him. Instead, the object swooped down and hovered silently overhead. Smythe realized it was a UFO and took refuge in a nearby tree.

At this point, three figures exited the craft. Two figures were five feet tall and dressed in silvery-gray material. The third figure appeared to be robotic. Then followed an all-night-long ordeal in which the UFO occupants remained at the bottom of the tree, sending up clouds of noxious fumes. Smythe lost consciousness several times and in the morning, the figures and craft were gone.

Smythe’s story was not without corroboration. Upon re-uniting with his friends, one of the hunters revealed that he also saw a “bright, large light” swoop down at low altitude and dart across the sky. All three also remarked upon the coincidence that the government was already in the area looking for an alleged “meteorite.” Finally, Smythe’s wife saw him immediately after the incident and confirmed that Smythe was badly traumatized and covered with scratches.

Smythe reported his case to the Air Force who suggested that he was the victim of a prank. The case electrified the UFO community. Coral Lorenzen calls it, “The most spectacular report I have ever examined.” Ted Bloecher and Paul Cerny also conducted an onsite investigation. Writes Cerny, “There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this incident is factual and authentic.”
Here are some images from 1965

This turned into a very controversial case with photos confiscated, and disagreements between different Ufologists about the photograph's authenticity. One of the most famous UFO photos ever taken.

This was dudded the Warminster thing.

New Zealand, 1965. Anonymous photograph, published by a reporter in a daily newspaper of Paramatta following a heavily publicized UFO flap in the Sydney suburb of Ryde in 1965. The photograph was taken by a presently unknown person over Epson in the South Island of New Zealand in 1965.


1965-Bernacillo, New Mexico. Taken on April 18. I have few details of this photo. For 1965, it is a fairly good picture, quality wise. I shows a discoid shape UFO with a top, and even an antenna can be seen on top. Thanks to ofnava, we have the following informaiton; It was taken in Alburquerque New Mexico, April 18, by Paul Villa. It is a part of sequence of 8 photos.
I have my reservations with this one >angel<

You guys be the judge and let me know

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:09 PM
What is the complex if not the prosaic interest of these magnificent apparatus that seem to mesmerize many in their varied display of designs. What is the interest of these extraordinary foreigners that come from who knows where to aloft on electrical towers,cables, power plants, and air bases. Who can tell or explain in our life time with a coherent and feasible answer? There might be some out there who can but they are extremely silent and just might be in fear for their well being and existence. The venture in that time [1965] was no easy matter for ufo investigators or investigations for in this space of time and before, government control was almost absolute and only a few would dare to brave thier views and were only looked down upon with comedic disdain or were silenced with some arbritrary discourse trying to convince those that observed something out of the ordinary that in many cases most probably were not of this earth.

Just mho angel

The following is some of the most controversial cases that even to this day are cause for heated discussion>>

1-1965-Exeter,New Hampshire- An extremely well-documented and investigated UFO case of close encounters occurred in Exeter, New Hampshire in 1965. This case would make a huge impact on Ufology, and mainstream media as well. The Exeter events would be chronicled in an excellent book by investigative writer John G. Fuller, titled, "Incident at Exeter." Look magazine also ran a two-part series on the events, bringing the case to the minds of millions of people.

This is just a fraction of the story which is to extense to cover here>angel> Muscarello would later describe the UFO as being about 90 feet in diameter. It had extremely bright lights positioned around its exterior. The object was now slowly floating downward toward the frightened man. Actually thinking that the object would hit him, he fell to the ground, just off of the pavement. Seemingly at the last possible second, the object veered away from him. Muscarello jumped to his feet, and made a run to house nearby.
:note:The Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects was performed at the University of Colorado between 1966 and 1968, with physics Professor Edward U. Condon as its scientific director > This particular case is one that most probably brought into effect the condon report which started a year later>angelc01>

Purplish Craft In Texas
On Same Night as Exeter
On the same date as the Exeter, N.H. sightings (September 3, 1965), two sheriffs from Brazoria County, Texas had a perilously close encounter with a huge UFO. Chief Deputy B.E. McCoy and Patrol Deputy Robert Goode were later questioned by NICAP and Air Force investigators from Ellington AFB.

After midnight, near Damon in Brazoria County, the two sheriffs sighted an enormous flying object from their patrol car. In the bright moonlight, they could see it was about 200 feet long, 40-50 feet thick at the center, tapering at both ends. It had a brilliant purplelight at one end, a fainter blue one at the other.

Sheriff Goode turned the patrol car around, drove back three-fourths of a mile and stopped. As they were watching through binoculars, the strange craft came down to 100 feet, heading rapidly toward the lighted police car. In the moonlight, the UFO cast a huge shadow on the ground, and the officers could see it moving swiftly toward the highway.

As it neared them, the brilliant purple light illuminated the ground and the inside of the car. Sheriff Goode, leaning out the driver's side, suddenly felt heat from the approaching UFO. He hastily started the engine. By this time the huge flying object was barely 50 yards away.

With understandable panic, the sheriffs fled.

"We were traveling at speeds up to 110 miles an hour," McCoy told the air force.

When they reached Damon, the lawmen calmed down and decided to go back.

"We were both scared," McCoy frankly admits. "But we wanted to find out what it was."

But when they returned to the area, the UFO's lights began to shift just as they had before its swift approach. Again, the sheriffs raced away.

"We figured the object would start coming toward us again," McCoy said in his AF statement. In describing the UFO, he said the body appeared dark gray. There was no sound, nor any trail visible.

"I never saw anything like it before," McCoy concluded. Both sheriffs admitted they had not believed in UFO's before.

"I've always been skeptical about these things," said McCoy. "I'm not a skeptic anymore."

2- 1965 The Kecksburg Incedent --AKA--the other Roswell -- A lot of secrecy in this case where even today there is cotroversy with Nasa involved with the situation following a small part of the report>angelc01> Kecksburg, Pennsylvania on December 5, 1965. Eyewitness reports coupled with radar confirmed an anomalous object moving through Canada, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. The object appeared as a fireball to witnesses, yet it seemed to be under intelligent control. The Pennsylvania saga began with a report from Frances Kalp, who phoned in her sighting to WHJB radio station in Greensburg at about 6:30 PM

Witnesses Describe UFO: It soon became apparent that the State Police were not the first individuals to go into the woods, According to UFO researcher Stan Gordon, several inquisitive locals had been there before police or military had arrived. They described to Gordon a bronze-colored object, about 9-12 feet in length with a gold band surrounding its bottom part. It appeared "acorn" shaped.
What Happened to John Murphy?: It seems that John Murphy, who was so eager to find the truth behind the Kecksburg crash, gave up his battle rather easily. Maybe not. After his death, his widow told a shocking story. She said that her husband was one of the first to the object, and had taken a photograph of the object. This photograph was confiscated by the military, and he was instructed to not reveal any details of what he had seen that day. Should he go against the warning, he would suffer "severe consequences."
Interestingly, Project Blue Book's report on the Kecksburg case does confirm that there was a photograph of the object in the woods, but they did not include it in their report, or discuss its source. There are still many unanswered questions to be answered about what crashed into the woods near Kecksburg, Pennsylvania in 1965.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:14 PM
In Carl Sagans words>>

Through all of our history we have pondered the stars and mused whether mankind is unique or if, somewhere else out there in the dark of night sky, there are other beings who contemplate and wonder as we do - fellow thinkers in the cosmos. Such beings might view themselves and the universe differently. Somewhere else there might exist exotic biologies, technologies and societies. What a splendid perspective contact with a profoundly different civilization might provide! In a cosmic setting vast and old beyond ordinary human understanding we are a little lonely, and we ponder the ultimate significance, if any, of our tiny but exquisite blue planet, the Earth. The Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) is the search for a generally acceptable cosmic context for the human species. In the deepest sense the search for extraterrestrial intelligence is a search for ourselves. The Cosmic Search Volume 1

In angelsc01's words>>

These blackouts [power failures] that occured all over th U.S. and in some parts of the world during 1965 in union with the many sightings reported by reliable witnesses before, during, and after the blackouts makes the case in point on ufo's more substantiated.

There have been many ufo waves through out our recent history but there are none that top this 1965 wave where all over the U.S. and including many parts of the world humankind bore witness to a host of sightings of strange aparatus, close encounters, first documented case of abduction[Betty and Barney Hill], power failures, blackouts, government coverups [again], and some NASA involvement .

Was all of this "Mega Mass Hysteria" ? or were we truly visited on a mass scale, and judgeing by the many different crafts were they more than one type of E.T.'s ? and are we included maybe with some backengineering??

I believe that when you have the true history of bygone situations available such as these , the dispense of this information or knowledge of it are held by the true keepers in power to do with it as they please or deem necessary. So when we do get this information after much painstaking work we might not have the full or complete story available to us.

That is why we must be relentless >>angelc01

california 1965

top topics

<<   2 >>

log in