It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual looking object on Mars photo

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

Rocks are interesting.

Although I never really studied geology that is one of my favourite subjects, it can show much more than most people think it's possible about the environment and its evolution.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Or maybe it is just a rock that tumbleb from its position and was polished by water (or any other agent).

One of the things I find strange is that these rocks look much more polished than the other rocks that we can see on many photos from Mars and for which we can find its origin in a higher place because they usualy leave a trail.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Rocks are interesting.

Although I never really studied geology that is one of my favourite subjects, it can show much more than most people think it's possible about the environment and its evolution.

I agree with you ArMaP. I find it impossible not be fascinated by geology after seeing up close what erupting volcanoes, lahars and glaciers have done to Earth's landscape.

I remember two documentaries, one about Lake Missoula in Montana and the other about Mt. Rainier's lahar history. I do not have links to those doc videos but I did link to sites explaining a bit more. I thought this stuff was very interesting and would go along way to help in understanding what we see in these images.

The theory that an ancient lake in Montana, with an ice dam that broke, sending huge amounts of water scouring the landscape of Idaho, Eastern Washington and Oregon all the way to the Pacific ocean was not an easy one for geologists to accept. Nor was the theory of a lahar from Mt. Rainier long ago that covered the Orting/Puyallup vallys with 100 ft. of mud spilling into the Puget Sound between the port cities of Tacoma and Seattle.

These theories have just recently begun to change the way we think about geology even though the evidence has been there all along. To define with absolution that what you see are just rocks describes a perspective that is very limiting. I don't think those that began to see evidence for a theory about Lake Missoula or Rainier's lahars limited their perspective by believing what everyone was telling them.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join