It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking of buying a gun (suggestions)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I appreciate all the suggestions but I'm still undecided, plus my attention was diverted elsewhere, like putting a new engine in my truck.
Anyway cruzier, I've made quite a few threads/posts about the what went on in Southern La after Katrina.
I inspected the home of a Blackwater Employee, he even climbed on the roof with me decked out in his black gear and carrying his side arm, despite my distrust of these mercenaries, he was pretty cool.
What they were allowed to do in NOLA was completely illegal and unconstitutional , they were also kicking in doors and taking peoples weapons.
I know there wasnt much publicity about this but it did happen, as well as many armed troops patrolling and policing the streets, I even snapped a pic of a soldier slamming a loaded mag into his M16, he wasnt to happy about that either.
NOLA/Katrina was a test to see how well the Govt could keep people inside a city, then disarm them, where as Hurricane Rita in Orange and Beaumont Tx was just the opposite.
They kept people out of these areas, using roadblocks and other measures, I worked both storms and I was there.
I love my job

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
My preference and recommendation is to get a .45 instead of a 9mm. If you're gonna throw a rock, throw a BIG one.

My uncle is a weapons trainer in Orlando PD. All their statistics say the .45 is the best choice. For a 9mm, it will take 2 - 3 shots to guarantee your target goes down on the ground (stop the attack not intent of killing). The .45 will take 1 - 2 shots to bring your target down. Knowing that, .45 is the best way to go. You'd want whatever edge you can get.

Also, forget what movies and the average citizen thinks. Use the KISS (Keep It Simple Stud).

When you buy one, make sure it feels very well in your hand.

Don't buy recoil compensators. Most incidents occur at night. If you shoot a gun with recoil compensators, you'll be temporarily blinded by the flash that shoots UP from the barrel.

Do not add extra gizmos. Its just more stuff that could go wrong when you need it.

There are more. But these are good guidelines.

Plus, ALWAYS ALWAYS remember the 4 safety rules and live by them:

1) Treat all firearms as if they are loaded
2) Never let muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy
3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target
4) Be aware of your target -- what is in front and behind your target

Its the 5% of the gun population that gives guns a bad reputation. Be responsible.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

I've been reading of a couple of US manufacturers have been producing carbines to be able to use all the AK47 ammo that's about. They've gotten rave reviews too. I can't remember either of their names though. I'm pretty sure I seen one of them on future weapons about 3 weeks ago. The bald guy loved it
I think it was a total M14 stock, chambered for 7.76 (is that the AK round?).

On another note, I would suspect that the CIA would be more interested in people who use guns to break the law, than people with guns who will be defending it. It's possible they may see anyone with a gun as a threat, that's true, but not every member of the secret services is an illuminati lackey. It's disconcerting that the military and police were confiscating weapons. That opens up a lot of potential for respectful citizens to be abused by criminals, which just isn't on.

Another thing, if I was in the middle of New Orleans, just after Katrina, my M16 would damn well have a full mag in it too! Escape from New York would be Escape from N.O!

[edit on 29-5-2008 by cruzion]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Not to hi-jack the OP's thread, but it's a very timely discussion for me. I've been bouncing around the idea of having something on hand now for a while. I'm not very versed in guns all that much, but I have shot a 9mm, .38 revolver, .40 and the Desert Eagle .45. (Now that's a gun!)

Anyway, I was looking at the .40 S&W listed earlier in the thread, so I thought I'd check out their site. I found this "kit" and actually thought it'd be a good idea to have around. Kind of a "multi-use" tool! What do you guys think?

edit: grammar

[edit on 5/30/08 by surfinguru]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfinguru
Not hi-jack the OP's thread, but it's a very timely discussion for me. I've been bouncing around the idea of having something on hand now for a while. I'm not very versed in guns all that much, but I have shot a 9mm, .38 revolver, .40 and the Desert Eagle .45. (Now that's a gun!)

Anyway, I was looking at the .40 S&W listed earlier in the thread, so I thought I'd check out their site. I found this "kit" and actually thought it'd be a good idea to have around. Kind of a "multi-use" tool! What do you guys think?

Ummm, theres no such thing as a .45 Desert Eagle.

It is available in .357magnum, .44magnum, .50AE and a very few were made that can fire .440 corbon. While it is easy to change calibers with the same gun (you only need a new bolt, barrel and magazine), there are no .45 conversion kits being made. The design of the pistol is more like a rifle than any other pistol. It is one of the only gas operated pistols on the market. A .45 round simply doesn't have the juice to cycle the action.

P.S. I'm glad you like my new pistol. I have shot a lot more and it still gobbles up whatever I can feed it with no problems. The gun will shoot a 5 inch group at a hundred yards, more then good enough for defense.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Tiloke]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by surfinguru

.454 is a nice cal as well like the .480 ruger,matter of fact the 480 has more punch of a 44.mag and half the recoil of the .454 casull.But we are talking revolvers here....nice add to mention the 50.cal desert eagle,that would be a gun i love to have...but way to expensive.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

Oops, thanks for the clarification. I'm really not all that knowledgeable about specifics. I just know that at the range, everyone was shooting 9mm and other smaller rounds, my friend brought out the Desert Eagle and emptied a clip. BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Things came to an immediate stop as everyone looked down the range to see who it was since it sounded like a cannon going off. Have to say that was one serious rush shooting that bad boy.

Anyway, I would just like something a little more realistic that will stop some whacked out would be on crack/meth or whatever else the loon decides to be on when trying to enter my house.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by surfinguru

If you're looking for a handgun for self defense, then I recommend using the .45 ACP. Stopping power is what you want. Plus the .45 ACP is not as daunting as a .50 cal on a Desert Eagle. And the .45 ACP is cheaper and available all over the market.

As for which brand to get, I recommend you go to a gun range that allows you to rent all their guns for one fixed rate. That way you can try each one and see which fits best in your hands. Whatever feels the best is what you should buy.

NOTE: If you are gonna have a CCW and conceal carry it (hopefully wherever you live it is legal), then I recommend the "pocket pistols". Ruger just came out in March, 2008, the Ruger LCP (Lightweight Compact Pistol).

This sucker is tiny and easily concealed. The caliber (.380 Auto) isn't that impressive, but the size makes it right. And, the price is awesome -- $250 at most gun shops.

As for caliber, I do recommend a .45 ACP. But .45 ACP guns tend to be bigger to conceal with everyday outfits. Just know caliber doesn't matter if you can't hit your target. In the properly trained hands a 22 pistol is deadlier than a gangster with a Desert Eagle .50 cal.

Also, once you get your gun, practice with it. Get comfortable. It would suck to pull it out in a situation and you're unfamiliar with it.

Operating a firearm (e.g., clearing a jam, tactical reload, etc.) should be instinctive. But, shooting a firearm is an Intellectual action. Know your targtet, what is in front of your target and behind your target before you fire.

[edit on 31-5-2008 by guppy]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I went with 9mm because I'm fairly new to shooting hand guns. 9mm is very easy to control. Possibly I'll move up to 357sig or 40s&w, as the stopping power is adventageous, once I have everything else down pat.
I chose Glock simply because of their reliability, and the fact they are hardened before they are coated (same reasons apply to Sig also).
Any gun is better than no gun. Go to a pawn shop and get a cheap used small callibre one. Practise with it, then when you are ready, go find a newer, larger callibre.
As the above poster stated, drills are very important. Dry firing and sighting, clearing jams, reloading etc should be practised often. You don't have to go to the range and spend money on ammo every time.
You have to learn to clean them. You have to learn trajectories and loads. You have to know your gun. How it handles, where it's limitations and idiosyncrasies are.
If you look online, there are old army manuals that cover everything. You can also find videos on strategy for defense and static/moving target training. (You will be amazed how much harder it is to hit something that's moving. And your pretty much garaunteed that if you ever get into a situation where you need to use your gun, your opponent will be moving!)
I actually went out and bought a 1000fps air rifle yesterday, so I can learn hitting moving targets. The $130 I paid for it equates to about 100 rounds in my british 303 for my rifle. I probably shot about 200 pellets just yesterday alone! And I made improvements. Thats another thing, if you are just starting out, buy an air pistol for $40 - $60 and some targets. You can shoot all you want in your backyard. You'll be amazed at the progress in your motor functions. And that's the point of training, to get the motions down without having to think about it. The quicker you can get on target, hold aim, and be aware of your surroundings, the better, right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join